The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#57679 - 07/14/04 06:34 PM World War II Memorial
WizardofZA Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
We recently returned from a visit to our daughter and son-in-law in Washington D.C. One of the highlights of the trip (besides seeing their new home and enduring a two and a half hour wait while they proudly cooked us breakfast), was our experience at the World War II Memorial. Normally when in the nation's capital, I like to visit the monuments and memorials at night. I find that it's less crowded as well as more solemn, and the lights on the buildings just seem to give them an added dimension. So, our first trip to the Memorial was after dinner one evening. It was quite peaceful and moving. Each column was bathed in a soft light, the fountain whispered softly in the center of the plaza, and we were undisturbed as we wandered around.

A few days later we went back at 11 in the morning. The crowds were intense, children were frolicking noisily in the fountain, and the sun was beating down on us with humidity that felt like a wet blanket. (I continue to maintain that Arizona summer temperatures feel COOL compared to east coast heat and humidity...and besides my hair wilts). In any event, I was prepared to do a brief obligatory walk around the memorial, take a few daylight pictures and head for a cool restaurant. What happened instead was that I started noticing the droves of veterans who had come out to see their memorial. Some were ambulatory, many used walkers or canes, many more were in wheelchairs pushed by a younger generation. Most all were wearing VFW hats decorated with pins, and embroidered with their names and the battles they fought. They would greet each other like long lost buddies, although I doubt none of them had laid eyes on each other before that day. "Hi, Gus, how ya doin?" "Good to see you here, Earl." The mood, unlike the somber Vietnam Memorial, was actually celebratory. These men and women were so happy to be there, and so proud. I went up to every one of them I could find, offered my hand, and thanked them. They would invariably grab both my hands in grips still firm, look me dead in the eye, and with sparkling eyes, thank ME for saying something. Our family spent over two hours exchanging pleasantries, and taking photos for the veterans with their families.

We finally left when we could stand the heat no longer, but I felt a longing as we left. I wondered if there was time for one more visit before our trip ended. There was not, but I know it will be the first place I return when I am next in Washington. Someday soon, there will be no veterans left to meet at this Memorial, and for me, that was the best part about being there. It is a beautiful monument, constructed in exactly the right place between the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial, and my only sadness upon seeing it is that it took so long to get it there. I thought of my dad and my husband's dad, and my uncle, and so many thousands and thousands of others who never got to see this tribute. I hope that somehow they are all looking down on it and are proud.

#57680 - 07/14/04 11:43 PM Re: World War II Memorial
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Wizard, what a wonderful experience for your family and what a lovely tribute you've written here for these veterans. We watched the entire celebration on TV and my own Uncle who lives in Maryland was there, he was a bomber pilot in world war II. As you said its so sad and and I feel humiliating that this momument was 60 years later than it should have been. God Bless all the veterans those on the monument grounds and those in the heavens.

#57681 - 07/15/04 01:21 AM Re: World War II Memorial
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Thanks Wizard,
We are visiting my aunt who put my fathers name and her husband on that Memorial. I want to share your post with her. Yes, I wish my father could have lived to see it but perhaps is looking down on it like you say.
Maggie

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved