The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 164 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#57440 - 05/03/06 02:08 AM summer vacations?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Anyone going away this summer?

#57441 - 05/03/06 05:35 AM Re: summer vacations?
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Heading to Oklahoma in September to see my nephew get married; then heading over to Arkansas to see my niece, who starts college there this fall.

Tried to get some travel tips about this trip on the forum here, but apparently no one has much to say about OK or AR -

It was kind of funny; the AAA Travel Guide for California is one really big book. The AAA Guide for our trip is a small book including Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, and Kansas! Guess there's not as much to do, huh?

We'll have fun - it will be our first long trip without the kids. (although I'm sure the laptop will come along!)

#57442 - 05/03/06 10:38 AM Re: summer vacations?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space

#57443 - 05/03/06 06:05 PM Re: summer vacations?
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Thanks Smile!

#57444 - 05/04/06 12:55 AM Re: summer vacations?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Rick and June, how old are your kids?

We are also heading out of town for a family wedding in New Orleans (all but our oldest). Then hubby and I are going to NYC for one night to see a niece graduate.

After our two seniors graduate, we are heading to Mexico for five days with three other families who also have graduates. We're staying at an all inclusive. I can't wait.

Smile, thanks for the links. You're keeping me busy.

#57445 - 05/04/06 03:28 AM Re: summer vacations?
Dancing Dolphin Offline

I have two boys, 19 and almost 15. Sounds like we have similar vacations planned.

Not sure how my hubby and I will do in a car together for all that time (10 days) - but it probably won't be much different from when the kids tagged along since they were always in the back with a book or music. And we won't eat as much fast food either!

Kathy

#57446 - 05/11/06 08:59 PM Re: summer vacations?
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Dave and I are going to Romania, Poland, Hungry and Slovakia. The focus is on crafts - fiber and wood - and agriculture. I hope to get a few magazine articles along with photos.

Dots - the all inclusive sounds fun, have a great time.

R&J - the trip to OK sounds fun, they have a great little fiber festival in OK.

#57447 - 05/11/06 10:05 PM Re: summer vacations?
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Wow Sandra that is going to be quite a trip. You'll have to tell us all about it when you get back.
Looks like R&J and Dotsie will also have some fun this summer. We're going home for a visit in August. It'll be fun. I miss all my friends and family.

#57448 - 05/12/06 12:36 AM Re: summer vacations?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

TVC hoome is New York, right?

Sandra, does your hubby share your interest in crafts and agriculture? Have a great trip. IS any of the trip to do mission work?

#57449 - 05/12/06 02:34 AM Re: summer vacations?
downdog Offline

Loc: kansas
Wow Thistle, can't wait to hear. Sounds exciting, adventerous. Been to any of these places before?

Dotsie I'm curious about the all inclusive, I've done cruises, but have been interested in one of those. Let us know how you like it. Friends are nice to have along.

R&J, I live one state away from OK, (Kansas, you're right,great place to live, but not so great to visit!) usually just drive through, did go to through a drive through park once, Arbuckle something, it was great. Had the kids with us though, might be more their thing, although I'd do it again with just my hubby. Enjoy your time with your husband!

#57450 - 05/12/06 06:44 AM Re: summer vacations?

Dave likes crafts and he likes to eat so agriculture is acceptable -haha- and I've never been to Europe, only Russia on that side of the world. The mission work is Russia; this trip is pure pleasure although we're collecting gifts to take to people we meet along the way. God opens doors and we walk thru 'em.

#57451 - 05/13/06 03:05 AM Re: summer vacations?
Val Offline

Loc: Pa.
I am hoping to go back to Sedona AZ. this summer and bring my 23yr. old daughter and 20 yr. old son and hubby (who shall remain ageless:). I was out in Az. for two weeks this winter and went to the Tucson Gem show for just one day and also visited Sedona for a few days. I love Red Rock anywhere and Sedona is beautiful so we bought a time share off of E-bay for the same resort I stayed at. We got a great price. I am also hoping to bring my mom with me on the plane ride out (she is afraid of flying)and leave her at her sisters house (my Aunt) who is not doing well (she has Cancer). I think it would be good for the sisters to see each other one more time and I'm hoping I can be able to make this happen for them. My Aunt's dream was to go on a hot air balloon ride (her daughter told me) and if possible I am hoping to arrange this for me and my Aunt to do also. So these are possible ideas for my summer trip.
Val

#57452 - 05/13/06 04:14 PM Re: summer vacations?
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
WOW.....everybody is going to be busy this Summer! My husband and I are heading for a Rhine River cruise the end of August. It's a small(er) ship - only 82 cabins so not a HUGE oceanliner type deal. We start in Basel, Switzerland and go up the Rhine, ending in Amsterdam and fly home from there. It's a nine day trip and I'm hoping to have enough energy to REALLY enjoy it. We are using the trip to "celebrate" my six month milestone on my interferon treatments. If only I could skip the shots during vacation - now that would TRULY be a vacation....LOL

#57453 - 05/14/06 06:26 AM Re: summer vacations?
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
quote:
Tried to get some travel tips about this trip on the forum here, but apparently no one has much to say about OK or AR -
I went to Kansas City, Branson, MO and on to Eureka Springs, AR in the beginning of April. I fell so in love with the mid-west. Not to mention that I had the best steak I ever had in my life in KC. I spent one day in Eureka Springs, AR http://www.eurekasprings.com/about/. As you can see from the site, one day is not enough. Oh darn, I'll just have to go back there. Then I went on to Gravette, AR the next day. I love the area.

This summer though, we are going to Williamsburg, VA. We just decided that we live close by and we really haven't explored the area. In the past we have done day trips there whenever we had visitors. This time it will be us and we are staying in a hotel and spending a few days there.

I love traveling and when I was a child, I had said that when I grow up I wanted to be a tourist, LOL.

Cheers,
Cathi

[ May 13, 2006, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: Optimumsteps ]

#57454 - 05/14/06 06:14 PM Re: summer vacations?
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
We don't travel much in the summer. We used to, but found it was too hot, too crowded and too expensive compared to other times of the year. Plus, we were always missing the "coming out" of all of our flowers while we were away. So a few years back we decided to do our travelling in either June or September and enjoy that so much now that we rarely go anywhere during July and August anymore.

But this year we'll be driving to Sept-Iles Quebec in July - if you look at a map of Canada, it's all the way up to the top of the St Lawrence River, close to Labrador. It's my husband's home town, and it's a beautiful (15-hour) drive along the river and such a lovely place to be in the summer. He still has three sisters living there and tons of cousins, so it's always nice for him to get back "home".

It will be a sad reunion this year though, because his fourth sister is very ill right now and not expected to survive the week. So there will be a noticeably empty chair at the table this time...

#57455 - 05/15/06 07:40 AM Re: summer vacations?
almostangel Offline

Loc: Kansas City
We are going to Las Vegas to see Celine in concert, then renting a car to go to the Grand Canyon for a week. I am not much for camping out so we booked a room at the Grand Canyon Lodge. I can hardly wait to watch the sunrise and set over the canyon walls!

#57456 - 05/15/06 04:51 PM Re: summer vacations?
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
almost angel,

When are you taking your trip? You are going to love vegas AND the grand canyon - the GC lodge is very nice!

You HAVE to go to Margaritaville (Jimmy Buffet's restaurant)..the food is fab, the atmosphere is wonderful, and they play Jimmy Buffet videos up on a screen! LOVE it!

We are going on a family vacation to Vegas in June. I want my kids to see the hotels. Where else can you visit 5 countries in one day. lol

danita

#57457 - 05/15/06 06:34 PM Re: summer vacations?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Looks like chatty is going to have some company. Danita, it's just like going to Epcot. So many countries, so little time.

angel, Celine? That's awesome. Who's going?

Eagle, when was the last time hubby got home?

Optimum, we've been to Willaimsburg for a few days vacation in the past. I remember being struck by how nice everyone was, and how clean it was. Very homey too.

Pam, your trip sounds amazing. I"ve never been to Switzerland, but Ross has and he siad it's one of his favorites.

downdog, I'll let you know how this inclusive is. We never stayed at inclusives with the kids when they were little because we had never experienced them. Then our friends talked us in to doing one and now we're hooked.

Val, you are blessed to have kids those ages who still want to travel with Mom and Dad.

[ May 15, 2006, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#57458 - 05/16/06 02:17 AM Re: summer vacations?
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Your summer plans all sound so amazing and fun!!!!'I can't wait to read about each of your experiences when you return....

Danita...Jimmy Buffett is my favorite performer..my kids gave me 2 tix to his concert this summer (aug 1) when he comes to philly...I can't wait...we tailgate all day before the concert ...that day in itself is like a vacation for me.. [Smile]

#57459 - 05/16/06 03:48 AM Re: summer vacations?
almostangel Offline

Loc: Kansas City
Danita, We are leaving next Wednesday. I am going to give Chatty a call once we are checked in at the Hotel. We are planning to go to Margaritaville. We both love Jimmy Buffet and Margaritas : ) I am hoping Chatty will want to join us.

Dotsie, this time it will be just Ian and I. Most of our friends and family think we are crazy to hike the canyon at our age.

#57460 - 05/16/06 06:26 PM Re: summer vacations?
Danita Offline

almostangel,

Have a wonderful trip!

Wave at me as you fly over Colorado, and please, have a margarita for me (and say hello to Jimmy!)

d.

#57461 - 05/17/06 03:09 AM Re: summer vacations?
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Wow, I too, can't wait to hear about your trips and the great sights you saw.
The Rhine has always been a place on my list of places to go. Can't wait to hear about it.
I am interested in inclusive resorts so make sure you report in Dotsie.

When in Margaritaville watching the Jimmy videos, if you see "One Particular Harbor" video, I am the girl in the yellow dress. I am in and out of the scenes so fast you can't blink or you will miss me but try anyway. I was a very young girl at the time. My ship is featured in the video. Have a margarita for me!

I will be spending most of my summer taking my little cub scout camping along the northeast.

The grand canyon lodge is beautiful and perfectly located. I loved walking down the canyon and nearly killed myself walking out and that was back before I turned 40! Good for you hiking the canyon!

Lynn

#57462 - 05/17/06 03:48 PM Re: summer vacations?
Val Offline

Loc: Pa.
Thanks Dotsie, We always took our kids on vacations growing up and they both have come to love it so I think they figure if mom & dad are footing the bill they will make the effort to try to be there. Now they are older and have a better understanding of how much things cost.......and hubby and I will gladly pay to spend time with them so it works out for everyone. Also they are old enough now where they know they can escape the "rents" if need be for some "rent free" time but that also warms my heart as they are having good brother and sister time which is important for them as they live in different states and miss each other.

#57463 - 05/18/06 08:52 PM Re: summer vacations?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Val, sounds like such a healthy family!

Ross and I figure that as long as we foot the bill for family vacations, our kids will come too. Our 21 year-old is going away with us twice this summer...no problem.

#57464 - 05/21/06 09:02 AM Re: summer vacations?
downdog Offline

Loc: kansas
For a few years now we have thought of each vacation with our kids as possibly "one of the last" as a family. Said so at one of these and our oldest (21)looks up, dumbfounded, and says "Why, I'm not going anywhere!". So, yeah, I also am holding out hope that we can continue to be able to pay for family trips and that they, and any extras they have (husbands, kids) will come along also.

Dotsie, nice to hear your 21 year old likes your trips too!

Avalon, just read your postscript - "People...will remember how you make them feel. For so odd reason these are words I needed to see right now, helps me to remember to focus on the other person and their feelings and NOT me!

#57465 - 05/21/06 09:21 AM Re: summer vacations?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Yeah, I know families who vacation together forever. I don't expect that of my kids once they are independent and have their own families, but hey...heck...if they want to come with us, I'll be happy to include them.

#57466 - 05/24/06 04:57 AM Re: summer vacations?
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Me too, me too. I just booked another Vegas trip for Sept. We couldn't get the resort we wanted in any of the weeks we wanted in Disney for Oct. or Nov. so we decided to go back to Vegas. I've been wanting to go again. I found good deals by going in Sept. I booked Caesar's Palace. Can't wait. We went in June 2 years ago. It was hot, but we had a great time. I don't do Grand Canyons or Dams. I love the hotels, restaurants, glitz, shopping and gambling. I loved the wax museum. They looked so real.

We just came back from Disney so we're home for a while.

Louisa

#57467 - 05/24/06 06:27 PM Re: summer vacations?
Danita Offline

WHAT wax museum? It is worth going into?

Have you gone to Margaretiville. It is my FAVORITE place on the strip.

We head for Vegas in about 3 wks ...and we are doing Disney for Christmas. These two vacations will be the first we've taken with the kids in ages..they are 17 and 15..our time is running out.

Our plan is to lay by the pool all day, and wander the strip at night - showing the kids the hotels. Can't wait

DH and I are going on a "mini-trip" (I actually call them "honeymoons") this wk.end....I can't wait.

We are taking a scenic drive to Wyoming - staying the first night in a western hotel...and the second night in a "hot spring" hotel. We'll hike, soak, play, and re-connect. I just can't wait!

Danita

#57468 - 05/25/06 02:13 AM Re: summer vacations?
Louisa Offline

The wax museum is either at the Venetian or next to it. Over there somewhere. It's great. They let you stand next to the figures and take pictures too. It's not real expensive either. I really enjoyed it. What's Margaritaville? A club? Hotel? I'm not a Jimmy Buffet fan so if I saw it when I was there, I probably didn't pay much attention to it. What's it near? We went to a show at Bally's that I loved. I liked seeing the costumes with all the feathers and the glitz. We saw Celine. I liked the shops at Aladdin and Caesar's. I thought the Bellaggio was the most beautiful place. I got a big kick out of being able to shop in the middle of the night like it was afternoon.

Where are you staying in Disney? We have the vacation club so we go twice a year. Have you been to the Boardwalk area? Last year they started the most incredible Christmas display at MGM. You've got to see it. They take the whole back lot and turn it into a Christmas wonderland with lights EVERYWHERE. They play music and make it snow while you're walking down the street.

Louisa

#57469 - 05/25/06 02:16 AM Re: summer vacations?
Louisa Offline

Danita,
I just realized you are in Denver. I have cousins in CO. I think a couple of them are in or around Denver. They didn't even know they had cousins in MA until a few years ago when I found one of them online. It turned out their father was sick and we were able to put him and my mother (his sister) together on the phone for a while shortly before he died.
Louisa

#57470 - 05/25/06 04:36 AM Re: summer vacations?
Danita Offline

Louisa,

Margaretivelle is a wonderful restaurant. Great food, wonderful atmosphere!

Ahhh haaa, I saw that museum, it is by the Venitian - we'll have to go into it!

We are staying at a time share in Orlando - I can't wait!

Aren't you in peabody or Lynn? We've talked about that before. LOL!

d.

#57471 - 05/25/06 05:26 AM Re: summer vacations?
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Well, I am headed to Huntsville Ala in July to see my husband younger sister and her kids for a week. I told her by the end of the week we will hve to buy you toliet paper and just might wear our welcome out. Haa....

We are driving and I always take a pinic lunch and plenty of bottled water . We will stop along the Tenn borger to a Hampton Inn where I can find a Craker Barrel to have chicken and dumplings ot eat and fried apples . Yummy !

Oh, that is on of the seven wonders of the world that I want to see the Grand Canyon in AZ . I did not get to see it when I was there in 1969 .

Hey, Lousia I think we are coming up north to Boston next year . We are thing of a trip to Maine . Need your help with that trip .

Renee

[ May 25, 2006, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Renee ]

#57472 - 05/25/06 07:51 AM Re: summer vacations?
Louisa Offline

Yes, Danita, we have talked about it before. I'm in Lynn. You've got to see the Christmas lights at MGM in Disney and the Boardwalk area. You'll love the wax museum in Vegas.

Renee, Are you talking somewhere around Ogunquit maybe? That's not that far from me. Maybe we'll go up for a day.

Louisa

#57473 - 05/25/06 06:19 PM Re: summer vacations?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Renee, are you goign to meet the queen?

And those going to Vegas must meet chatty.

Angel, how was your trip?

Danita, how was your get-a-way with hubby. You are so good about doing that!

We just got back fro New Orleans with two of our kids for a family wedding. Oldest is taking a mini-mester so he couldn't make it.

WOW! We stayed in the French Quarter. Bourbon St. and the rest of that area is up and running. I can tell you because I was out roaming the streets with my sisters and the bridal party until 3:45 am...(someone had to look out for those kids!) I ahven't been up that late in years.

Anyway, we drove to the wedding which was about 20 minutes away. It was at this lovely plantation that stayed standing in the midst of surrounding devastation. The ride there was unbelievable. I've never seen so many miles of total destruction. I don't know how or when that city will be rebuilt but the loss those familes incurred is devastating. You have to see it to believe it. I had a fairly good idea because my son went there and filmed the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. His video made me cry. But to see it first-hand is a whole other story. We need to remember to keep that city and their people in our prayers. I'd stopped praying for them, but after witnessing such sadness, I'm praying again!

#57474 - 05/26/06 12:43 AM Re: summer vacations?
Sadie Offline

Dotsie,
I hope to meet the Queen she is not far from Huntsville Ala where my husbands sister lives . We hope to meet up and talk .

Lousia , I am not sure where in Maine is good , but wanted to stop next year to see you and your husband for sure . I love Boston and where you live .

Renee

#57475 - 05/26/06 01:26 AM Re: summer vacations?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I'm about 15 minutes outside of Huntsville so I too am counting on us getting together for lunch or something! I hope it isn't around the 12th though...I'll be speaking to a group in Tuscaloosa, AL that week and will be gone almost the whole week. Let me know when you have your schedule. I can't wait to meet you!

JJ

#57476 - 05/26/06 05:27 AM Re: summer vacations?
Sadie Offline

Well, We will be leaving MD on around July 8th and take us two days to travel . Not sure if I wil see you then . We will reach Huntsville about July 10th not much time before you will be gone . Oh, my luck .

#57477 - 05/26/06 05:48 AM Re: summer vacations?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Well, let's just wait and see...we've got a month to play with here. I won't leave until the evening of the 11th, I think...and I may not leave until the 12th...so let's just wait till it gets closer to time. Besides, I'm coming back the next day unless something else crops up, like another speech in the area, or a book signing.

JJ

#57478 - 05/26/06 06:07 AM Re: summer vacations?
Louisa Offline

Renee, we can tsalk about the Maine thing. I'll send you some info and links n places. If you come to Boston, we will meet up for sure.
Louisa

#57479 - 05/27/06 05:51 AM Re: summer vacations?
Sadie Offline

Lousia,
You bet we will be in Boston . It has been a long , long time since I have been to Boston. I took the trip on the train when I was a little girls and loved every minute of it.

We will meet up for sure

#57480 - 05/27/06 05:23 PM Re: summer vacations?
Louisa Offline

It's so different now. Wait until you see it. So much for you to see and do!
Louisa

#57481 - 05/28/06 07:52 AM Re: summer vacations?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Louisa, I have never been to Boston. I'd love to get there one day. I'll let you know when I do. My hubby and daughter were there last summer looking at Curry College. Do you know where that is? She decided not to go there, but she really liked it.

#57482 - 05/29/06 05:19 AM Re: summer vacations?
Louisa Offline

Dotsie, I don't really know that school. It's actually in Milton, about 7 miles from downtown Boston. Sounds like a nice one.

We're going into town Thursday night for dinner and to see Linda Ronstadt at the Opera House. I've been sick. I hope I'm better by then.

Louisa

#57483 - 05/30/06 06:29 PM Re: summer vacations?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Yes, that's the school.

Going into the city is so much fun. I hope you are feeling up to it. Concerts are big with boomers. Don't you think?

#57484 - 05/30/06 06:30 PM Re: summer vacations?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Oh, and be sure to begin listening to her music this week. And take one of her CD's in the car with you!

#57485 - 06/04/06 02:23 AM Re: summer vacations?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I saw her in person once when she was living with Aaron Nevell, they made quite the musical duet!

#57486 - 06/07/06 06:58 AM Re: summer vacations?

Sounds like between all the Boomer travels, there should be a fabulous Travelogue presentation down the line.

#57487 - 06/07/06 08:15 AM Re: summer vacations?
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Oh, I bet you all can't wait to hear about Ada, Oklahoma!! [Smile]

I'll try to find some interesting stores to share about our journey - but that won't be until September. It WILL be fun to hear of everyone's adventures!

Kathy

#57488 - 06/07/06 08:46 PM Re: summer vacations?
smilinize Offline

Hey, Ada, Oklahoma is an fun town. It started out as Connors Corners back in the nineteenth century when Oklahoma was Indian Territory and outlaws could hide out from whiteman's laws.

Connors Corners consisted exclusively of a tavern for outlaws. There were so many murders at the tavern that they had their own graveyard out back.

At one time they had a big party and served wild blackberry wine. They fermented the berries and strained the juice. They threw the fermented blackberry seeds into the back yard.

The tavern owners chickens ate the seeds and got drunk. The outlaws drank the wine and got drunk.

The drunk outlaws were having a lot of fun laughing at the chickens bobbing around the yard drunk then one of them decided their bobbing heads would make great target practice so he shot and killed all the chickens.

The tavern owner thought it was great fun too until he began sobering up and realized all his chickens were dead so he shot and killed the guy who shot his chickens.

The partiers buried the chicken killer in the backyard, fried up the chickens, drank the wine, and continued the party.

Ada stole its townsite from a place called Dags Flats, but that's a whole other story. And it is the site of the last hanging in Oklahoma. But that's another story too.

Ada's a fun place.

smile

[ June 07, 2006, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#57489 - 06/07/06 09:10 PM Re: summer vacations?
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Wow, how funny! So I should expect this to be a wild wedding.... I'll have to send this story to my sister-in-law that lives there.

Kathy

#57490 - 06/08/06 01:14 AM Re: summer vacations?
smilinize Offline

Wonder if they are serving blackberry wine at the wedding?

If so, you could bring you six-shooter and get some target practice. (And have some nice fried chicken too)

Ada was a development named for the developer's daughter. It couldn't be a town because Dags Flats was too nearby (three miles). Dags Flats only had one building (a general store), but since they already had a township designation and a post office, the developer of Ada was out of luck.

The developer tried to convince the storekeeper to move to Ada and change the township name, but he refused.

The storkeeper had a casket for sale in his store and he told everyone the only way he would ever move was when they took him out of there 'daid' in that casket.

Well, the developers got more and more miffed at the storekeeper's stubbornness so one night they all got together and went down to the Dags Flats store. At gunpoint they forced the storekeeper to get inside the casket and they nailed it shut. Then they hooked their horses to the store and drug the building containig the post office, the township sign, and the storekeeper in his casket three miles up the road where they deposited the whole thing in the new developmment and changed the name on the post office/township sign to read "Ada."

When they finally let the storekeeper out of the casket, he was too weak from lack of oxygen to fight so the town of Ada was born.

It's the Oklahoma way.

Almost the same thing happened with the Oklahoma state capital, but that and the hanging are other stories.

smile

#57491 - 06/08/06 01:56 AM Re: summer vacations?
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
What wonderful information! I love hearing tidbits about historical towns!

We didn't plan on a vacation this summer since we are going on a authors cruise in Feb. We are however going to Vegas, since our pool team will be shooting in the national tournaments in August. I will be meeting Chatty this time around!

Problem is going to be finances, we aren't saving anything because it takes alll we get from workmans comp to pay bills. Oh well, I'm sure the Lord will provide.

#57492 - 06/08/06 01:58 AM Re: summer vacations?
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Smile, thanks for your stories. Where do you get the info - have you lived in Ada?

#57493 - 06/08/06 06:14 AM Re: summer vacations?
smilinize Offline

I've never lived in Ada, but I spoke there a while back and researched their history for a musical.

One bit of advice--Don't mention the hanging. It's still a sore spot with the community. Possibly since descendants of the mob who hanged the individuals still live in Ada.

Late in the night on April 19, 1909 what is rumored to be 200 men entered the jail and took four inmates hostage. They took them to a stable where they were hung. (April 19 is the same day as the Oklahoma City Bombing and the Davidian raid in Waco btw)

Other rumors say it was an inside job. Possibly perpetrated by prominent members of the Ada community and there may have been only a few rather than 200, possibly Masons. There was little investigation and no one was ever prosecuted for the hanging.

Just be careful not to mention it especially to old timers. It's definitely a taboo subject.

smile

P.S. One of the men who got hung was an owner of Connors Corner. Another may have been the ancestor of a man charged in the murder of a youn woman in Ada who was one of the first people exonerated by DNA evidence.

[ June 07, 2006, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#57494 - 06/09/06 03:27 AM Re: summer vacations?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Sherri to save money you might want to think of staying OFF the expensive strip at one of the hotels on the Boulder highway. The Nevada Palace is on Boulder just next to Sams Town and the rooms are a mere $29.95 during the week, there clean and comfortable and the Neveda Palace is 5 minutes from me so you can depend on seeing me. I won't travel to the strip unless I have no other choice, I hate it. You can rent a car from Enterprise which they deliver right to your hotel and drive to the strip hotels or where every you want to go. Just a thought and if on a short budget why waste it on some expensive hotel room??? The hotels on Boulder Highway I know first hand are:

Arizona Charlies, East (buffet)....702/951-5600
Boulder Station (slots/buffet)....702/432-7777
Nevada Palace (yummy food)....702/458-8810
Sam's Town (super gift shop)....702/456-7777
Longhorn Hotel (good eats)....702/435-9170

There are many others but I've never stayed in any of them...

[ June 08, 2006, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#57495 - 06/09/06 05:26 AM Re: summer vacations?
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Smile, did you finish the musical? I was thinking it would make a good TV movie.

#57496 - 06/09/06 06:59 AM Re: summer vacations?
smilinize Offline

I didn't get the commission to write the musical. They decided not to do one. I think once they discovered the history, they didn't really want to see it singing and dancing on stage.

smile

[ June 09, 2006, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#57497 - 06/15/06 11:08 PM Re: summer vacations?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

For those coming to Vehgs it seems that sooner rather than later Cher will be replacing Celion Dion at Caesars Palace...If I can find out when I'll post it.

#57498 - 06/16/06 09:20 AM Re: summer vacations?
Wisdom&Life Offline

Dotsie,

I might be in MD on the 4th or July weekend, that is if none of us gets sick.

We were going to go to Williamsburg, but I really want to see my niece and nephew. I haven't seen my niece yet and she is a month and half old. I am just so anxious to see her. My brother's MIL is there to help. She came from Algeria and I want to see her too. She is a lovely lady.

Anyway, hopefully we will be in MD for that long weekend.

Cheers,
Cathi

#57499 - 06/16/06 06:06 PM Re: summer vacations?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Cathi, let me know if you have time to meet. I'd love it. I'm be home for the 4th. Ellicott City is only a quick jump around the beltway.

I am on vacation now. I'm with three other families at an out-of-this-world resort. I'll give you the link to the resort when I get home so you can check it out. I know a few of you were interested in all-inclusives for families. More to come!

#57500 - 06/24/06 01:38 AM Re: summer vacations?
bamgibbs Offline

Loc: Durham, NC
Dotsie,

How far is your home from Upper Marlboro. That's where my new hubby is from.

Beverly Mahone
www.talk2bev.com
Author, WHATEVER! A Baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age

#57501 - 06/25/06 04:25 AM Re: summer vacations?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Hmmm, I think it's a little over an hour away. Not far. Is his family still here?

#57502 - 06/25/06 08:48 PM Re: summer vacations?
bamgibbs Offline

Loc: Durham, NC
His son still lives there. His ex lives in Bel Air. On another note, I would like you to review a copy of my book. Got time?

Beverly Mahone
Author, WHATEVER! A Baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age
www.talk2bev.com

#57503 - 06/27/06 07:39 AM Re: summer vacations?
49erDonna Offline

Loc: California
You all seem so creative, between the books you are writing and the websites you design. God bless you all!

I know I have all kinds of creative ideas in my brain trying to push their way out. I wrote 40 pages of my thoughts about life while on the train going across the country recently. It was sooo enjoyable to get the ideas out on paper (or rather laptop)

But how did you all get to the next step? I am truly impressed with your success and hope it will push me to work on my many projects.

Thanks in advance for any help, assistance and encouragement you can provide!

Donna

#57504 - 06/26/06 08:13 PM Re: summer vacations?
Wisdom&Life Offline

Dotsie,

I sent you an email with my contact info. Did you receive it?

I sure hope you are doing well. Have you been affected by the floods?

Donna, you've come to the right place.

Cheers,
Cathi

#57505 - 06/27/06 05:53 AM Re: summer vacations?
49erDonna Offline

Optimumsteps,
It sure does sound like I did come to the right place!
Donna

#57506 - 06/29/06 04:25 AM Re: summer vacations?
smilinize Offline

Dotsieeeeee

I was hoping for a report on your trip to Mexico. (I mean the fun part, not the getting sick part)

When are we going to hear about your trip? Or did you drink too many margaritas to remember?

We're waiting for a 'tell all.'

smile

#57507 - 07/09/06 04:23 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: smilinize]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I can't ignore smile, so here goes. Thanks for asking.

We went with three other families to celebrate several of our children's graduations from high school. These are families that have been part of the village it's taken to raise our kids. We love them and have traveled with all but one family before. We stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo. It's an all inclusive in Riviera Maya, about a half hour from Cancun.

All we did was hang out on the beach and in the pool. We ate, drank, walked, soaked up the sun, and slept. We did water aerobics, played water polo, some of the kids took scuba lessons, they rented wave runners with the dads, floated in the lazy river pool all hooked togther by feet and hands, my daughter got her hair braided, and we laughed our heads off. All day we were with the kids. We have lovely dinners, all 17 of us, then the kids went off to hang out, and the parents headed in another direction. It was an awesome family vacation. Please check it out if you want to go to an all inclusive that is out of this world gorgeous, relaxing and entertaining.

I only recommend that you go on antibiotics before you go. At least four of us ended up on them when we got home.

So, tell me about your vacations...

#57508 - 07/19/06 03:40 PM Re: summer vacations?
smilinize Offline

Okay Dotsie,

I'm so glad you finally got to Mexico. Isn't it a wonderful place. It's the land of passion. The margaritas flow, the sun is warm, the swimming is wonderful, and the men are... Well, they're MEN, hot blooded MEN. It's a place that heightens everyone's passions.

I love the way you can stay right on the beach with bars in the pools and scantily clad 'male' bartenders? I love 'shooting the waves' with the wave runners and the Mexican musicians who sing and play for you at dinner. I even love the bull fights and the gaudy souvenirs I always drag home on the plane.

Sounds like you had a lot of chaperones, but with all the passion of Mexico, I bet there was a lot of second honeymooning going on too.

I hope after the illness you still have great memories of Mexico. It's definitely the land of love.

smile

#57509 - 07/20/06 09:12 PM Re: summer vacations?
positiveliving Offline

Loc: Wiltshire, UK
Hello everyone

Now I know this won't sound exciting but for me I am fulfilling an ambition.

We have hired a motorhome and me, my man, my 5 year old and 15mth old are going to tour the Cornwall coast and stop off at the Eden Project. Somewhere in me is a hippy waiting to get out and this summer I may let her!!

I can't wait, we go in two weeks.

'because life is not about the challenge' ?
www.positivelivingprogramme.com

#57510 - 07/21/06 09:06 AM Re: summer vacations? [Re: positiveliving]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Lucky you, Samantha. What an adventure! I met two lovely women from Truro on a Padre Pio pilgrimage in 2002 who gave me a standing invitation to visit Cornwall. I have not had the opportunity but the Eden Project would also be one to visit. Post back on the holiday soon as you can. Where would you be setting up camp along the way? Or would you be driving straight through? Yes, let the hippie loose.

#57511 - 07/21/06 03:04 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

RVs are becoming more popular with our generation all the time. I think it's a great way to get around and see our countries. I say...let that hippie out girlfriend!

#57512 - 07/21/06 04:00 PM Re: summer vacations?
positiveliving Offline

Hi Dotsie and Lola

We are staying in a number of campsites and heading straight upto St Austell to the Eden Project and we will also go to Paignton and Weymouth.

We made the decision last Friday to say s*d it lets do it and we go in two weeks time so its half planned but we can't wait! Spontenaity (I can't think how to spell that at the moment ) is adding to the adventure.

My daughter is counting down the days and already sleeping in the pop up tent in the lounge!!! Bless!!

I can't wait intend to do some spiritual bits too!!

Will let you know if its a good one!

#57513 - 07/30/06 08:20 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: positiveliving]
positiveliving Offline

I am counting down the days now!! We go on Friday!

#57514 - 07/30/06 11:32 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: positiveliving]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Samantha hope you have a safe, happy and interesting vacation...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#57515 - 08/12/06 03:00 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: chatty lady]
positiveliving Offline

Hello everyone!

We are back after a wonderful trip and definately one I would recommend. The Eden Peoject is stunning and so big too.

The coastline and the countryside made me feel alive and inspired to go on living which is wonderful.

Back to piles of washing now though lol!

Hope everyone oon here is well.

#57516 - 08/14/06 10:26 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: downdog]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Hi everyone
I just returned from 3 weeks in China. It was a fantastic trip. I love outdoor markets, and the markets in China are a budget buyers dream. The terra cotta warriors in Xian were awe inspiring. I'd seen a few on tour here in the US, but to see hundreds and hundreds and warriors and horses made by hand was out of this world.
I would recommend China any day of the week. The travel from the US was a bit difficult to endure however.
Anno

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#57517 - 08/29/06 12:22 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Anno]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Well, I'm off! Leaving early Thursday for vacation. Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri - never been there before, so looking forward to seeing some new country.

I'll miss you guys! See you in a couple of weeks!
Kathy

#57518 - 08/29/06 12:55 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Woow, China. Did you do an organized tour, Anne? Please tell more!

#57519 - 08/29/06 03:08 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Edelweiss]
Lola Offline

Hi, Kathy: Have a good holiday!!!

#57520 - 08/29/06 03:44 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Have a great time Kathy, and tell Rick to behave himself...if he can. LOL!

JJ

#57521 - 08/29/06 09:48 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: jawjaw]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Hi Hannelore
Just say your post. No, we did not go on an organized tour. I love planning trips, to me it's a great part of the trip.
We started in Hong Kong (LOVED IT) and then to Xian where they found the Terra Cotta Warriors 30 years ago buried just outside of Xian, the old capital of China. Then we flew to Guilin, where they have some of the most beautiful land formations I have ever seen along a river.
It was a phenomenal trip, I highly recommend the trip. Just wish the flight was more comfortable, but, the price you pay.
Thanks for asking.
Ann

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#57522 - 08/30/06 09:04 AM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Anno]
Edelweiss Offline

That is quite an accomplishment to organize your own trip to China. I've never heard of Terra Cotta Warriors. That's an odd name. But I've seen a travel show about those land formations. They are unbelievable.
Our neighbors have traveled around the whole world, on their own, but they didn't dare tackle China themselves. We're invited over this weekend for a Chinese dinner, and slide show. Can't wait! They loved Honkong too.

#57523 - 08/30/06 11:11 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Anno, my husband shares your love for trip planning. He enjoys it so much that he's even done it for other family members and friends.

#57524 - 09/02/06 01:02 PM Re: summer vacations?
Louisa Offline

I love planning trips too. When we went to Vegas in 2004, I used a travel agency. This time, I did it myself. I booked the hotel and flights myself and I know I saved some money. I got the airline I wanted this time too. With the travel agent, we got some little extras like coupons to things we didn't even usesd. Only used the ones for the transfers to and from the hotel. We can take a cab. I booked the show we want to see and a special dinner.

A couple of years ago, my husband got a free trip to anywhere he wanted to go because of something he did at work. He chose Montreal. We had booked a few nights at the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, VT and planned on driving. Because we opted to drive to Montreal, his work picked up the cost of the Lodge in lieu of the flight. It was great. We drove to VT and spent a few days there and then went on to Montreal for a few more days and drove back. His work paid for all the lodging (and it was a nice hotel in Montreal) and some meals too. It was a lovely trip, but a bit too much riding in the car for me.

I have to book business trips all the time for people at work, so I've learned a few tricks and like planning my own. However, when/if we go to Hawaii, I may use an agent for that one.

Louisa

#57525 - 09/02/06 05:04 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Louisa]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Louisa, I always wanted to go the Trapp Family Lodge. Did you meet any of the family? My aunt used to tell us that she was close friends with Maria Von Trapp, and spent a lot of time there with her. We drove through Vermont many years ago, but hubby wasn't interested in stopping there so we just whizzed right by. NOW I've got a little more backbone to me and would insist on stopping in at least for a cup of tea and a quick look!

We love Montreal. Hubby's daughter lives there and we go there often for weekends. It's just a two-hour drive from here, so easy to get there, as long as we don't try to get through the city during rush hour! Then it can take as long as 3-4 hours to get to SD's house!

(Maya Angelou)

#57526 - 09/02/06 08:10 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Louisa Offline

Eagle, The Trapp Lodge is beautiful. Pricey, but lovely. The food is out of this world and they give you too much of it. It's just up there surrounded by gorgeous mountains. We went in the summer so the flowers were very pretty also.

Maria gets a little confusing. What I hadn't known was that in the movie, they changed the names of some of the children. So, of course to me, Maria was the mother (Julie Andrews). She's been dead for many years, which is what I thought. One day, we saw this old woman with white braided hair walking through the dining room. My husband jokingly told me it was Maria. I told him she had to be dead by now. (yet it made me wonder)

The next night, the same woman walked by the lounge while we were in there. Again, he said he thought it was Maria and that I should interview her. I was writing travel stories for the paper at the time. I asked the piano player and he said it WAS Maria. I almost fainted. "It would be so awesome if I could get an interview with Maria von Trapp," I told him. Then the piano player explained that they had changed the names for the movie and that there were TWO Maria's. In real life, one of the daughters was named Maria as well. It was the daughter. And she was OLD. I didn't end up interviewing her, but I did do a story for the paper complete with my own photos of the place. I got some very nice pictures of the Trapp Lodge, Stowe and Montreal on that trip. I also did a whole other story on Stowe VT.

Louisa

#57527 - 09/03/06 07:39 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Louisa]
Louisa Offline

I'm off to Vegas so I won't be online this week. As I write this, it's miserable, raining, cold and foggy. I'm hoping the fog doesn't cause any delay in the flight. We'll be arriving shortly before 11 p.m. LV time as it is. My mother called to tell me she heard on the weather channel or somewhere that it's 103 in Vegas. I'd rather it be a little cooler, but after this cold dreary weather, I'll take it. I was just able to get last minute tickets to LOVE at the Mirage. That's the one with all the beatles mucic in it. My husband is all happy about that.

I hope I don't lose all my money. Chatty, I'll give yu a call sometime during the week.

Louisa

#57528 - 09/03/06 07:45 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Louisa]
Edelweiss Offline

Just want to say bye-bye, aufwiedersehn, arrivederci
We'll hopefully be back around the middle of October; if the Grizzlies and Pumas in those Canadian wild wood areas allow...
I know I'll miss my visits with you ladies! , Gees, I'm allready looking forward to coming back!
hugs
Hannelore

#57529 - 09/03/06 09:28 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Edelweiss]
Lola Offline

Have a good holiday, Hannelore! Keep on truckin' in the RV and drive safely.

#57530 - 09/04/06 12:35 AM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Lola]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Louisa I look forward to hearing from you...and Hannelore, be safe and have a wonderful vacation.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#57531 - 09/04/06 01:14 AM Re: summer vacations? [Re: downdog]
49erDonna Offline

Wow.. what wonderful travel plans! Also can't wait to hear of your travel adventures.

I took a wonderful trip in June - via Amtrak from San Francisco to Washington DC and back - just me and my laptop. My son just started working so couldn't get any time off. It was the very first time in 20+ years that I went on a vacation by myself.

I loved the destination and the journey. Wrote alot and met a lot of wonderful people on the train.

Washington DC is a wonderful place - wish I had had more time to see everything!

Donna

#57532 - 09/10/06 02:04 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: 49erDonna]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

I'm baaack! We've been gone 10 days - did you miss me? Oh well, anyway....

We attended my nephew's rehearsal dinner and wedding in Ada Oklahoma, then traveled over to Batesville Arkansas to visit my niece at Lyon College. Then up to Branson Missouri and stayed at Sill Waters Resort.

We saw LOTS of beautiful country. It's so green and pretty through Arkansas and Missouri. However, my hubby likes a glass of wine with dinner and we encountered several "dry" counties. So different from California!

It was a wonderful, relaxing time, and through all that driving around - my hubby and I got along! Amazing.... We usually do, but this was the first trip we've taken in 19 years (since kids...) that we were all by ourselves for any length of time. I truly wasn't sure how it would go.

JJ, when do you leave for Ireland? That's a place we really want to visit, since my hubby's dad came from Ireland to America when he was in his early 20's. Have a wonderful time!

Kathy

#57533 - 09/10/06 02:34 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I know exactly where Batesville is. My Daddy was originally from Blytheville, AR. So glad you Mr. Man had a good vacation. And yes, you were missed.

I leave on the 21st, Sept. Not much time to pack, get a new "do" and lose 50 pounds...hmmm...oh well, Ireland will just have to settle for WYSIWYG...eh?

#57534 - 09/10/06 11:51 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: jawjaw]
Pam R. Offline

Kathy, How was Branson Missouri? It's one place hubby and I have talked about going? Did you see Bobby Vinton? Doesn't he own or perform in a concert hall there?

#57535 - 09/11/06 12:03 AM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Pam R.]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Hi Pam,
We hit Branson mid-week after Labor Day, so there were no big names playing. We were there three nights; didn't have time to see anything the first night, then lots of shows are dark on Wednesdays, and Thursday the ones we wanted to see were only playing in the morning which didn't work out with the rest of our schedule.

So... we pretty much read, relaxed, dined out, paddled around the lake, etc. It was very nice, actually.

If you are going, and are planning to see shows, I'd check the schedule first and then plan your trip.

You know, the Still Waters Resort was only $69 per night - 30% off because of staying three nights. We had a one-bedroom condo with a washer/dryer, view of the lake, etc. Much better than a cramped hotel room. I'm sure it's more during the "season", but it worked out great for us.

Let us know if you go and who you see!

Kathy

#57536 - 09/11/06 01:14 AM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Pam R. Offline

Thanks so much Kathy for info. I will check things out for late fall if we can catch a few days away.

#57537 - 09/11/06 01:24 AM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Pam R.]
Louisa Offline

Chatty, did you get my email? It was so nice talking to you. I miss Vegas already, but it was good to get home. we had a great trip (once I got that room situation straightened out). We went to the Bellaggio for a couple of hours before we left Thursday. My husband walked over to MGM Wednesday while I was shopping and then he went over to Hooters too. After I talked to you, I walked over to Aladdin, did those shops, had a lovely lunch, played in their casino and went back to my hotel in time for dinner.

Louisa

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved