The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 165 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#57520 - 08/29/06 03:44 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Have a great time Kathy, and tell Rick to behave himself...if he can. LOL!

JJ

#57521 - 08/29/06 09:48 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: jawjaw]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Hi Hannelore
Just say your post. No, we did not go on an organized tour. I love planning trips, to me it's a great part of the trip.
We started in Hong Kong (LOVED IT) and then to Xian where they found the Terra Cotta Warriors 30 years ago buried just outside of Xian, the old capital of China. Then we flew to Guilin, where they have some of the most beautiful land formations I have ever seen along a river.
It was a phenomenal trip, I highly recommend the trip. Just wish the flight was more comfortable, but, the price you pay.
Thanks for asking.
Ann

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#57522 - 08/30/06 09:04 AM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Anno]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
That is quite an accomplishment to organize your own trip to China. I've never heard of Terra Cotta Warriors. That's an odd name. But I've seen a travel show about those land formations. They are unbelievable.
Our neighbors have traveled around the whole world, on their own, but they didn't dare tackle China themselves. We're invited over this weekend for a Chinese dinner, and slide show. Can't wait! They loved Honkong too.

#57523 - 08/30/06 11:11 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Anno, my husband shares your love for trip planning. He enjoys it so much that he's even done it for other family members and friends.

#57524 - 09/02/06 01:02 PM Re: summer vacations?
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I love planning trips too. When we went to Vegas in 2004, I used a travel agency. This time, I did it myself. I booked the hotel and flights myself and I know I saved some money. I got the airline I wanted this time too. With the travel agent, we got some little extras like coupons to things we didn't even usesd. Only used the ones for the transfers to and from the hotel. We can take a cab. I booked the show we want to see and a special dinner.

A couple of years ago, my husband got a free trip to anywhere he wanted to go because of something he did at work. He chose Montreal. We had booked a few nights at the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, VT and planned on driving. Because we opted to drive to Montreal, his work picked up the cost of the Lodge in lieu of the flight. It was great. We drove to VT and spent a few days there and then went on to Montreal for a few more days and drove back. His work paid for all the lodging (and it was a nice hotel in Montreal) and some meals too. It was a lovely trip, but a bit too much riding in the car for me.

I have to book business trips all the time for people at work, so I've learned a few tricks and like planning my own. However, when/if we go to Hawaii, I may use an agent for that one.

Louisa

#57525 - 09/02/06 05:04 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Louisa]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Louisa, I always wanted to go the Trapp Family Lodge. Did you meet any of the family? My aunt used to tell us that she was close friends with Maria Von Trapp, and spent a lot of time there with her. We drove through Vermont many years ago, but hubby wasn't interested in stopping there so we just whizzed right by. NOW I've got a little more backbone to me and would insist on stopping in at least for a cup of tea and a quick look!

We love Montreal. Hubby's daughter lives there and we go there often for weekends. It's just a two-hour drive from here, so easy to get there, as long as we don't try to get through the city during rush hour! Then it can take as long as 3-4 hours to get to SD's house!

(Maya Angelou)

#57526 - 09/02/06 08:10 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Louisa Offline

Eagle, The Trapp Lodge is beautiful. Pricey, but lovely. The food is out of this world and they give you too much of it. It's just up there surrounded by gorgeous mountains. We went in the summer so the flowers were very pretty also.

Maria gets a little confusing. What I hadn't known was that in the movie, they changed the names of some of the children. So, of course to me, Maria was the mother (Julie Andrews). She's been dead for many years, which is what I thought. One day, we saw this old woman with white braided hair walking through the dining room. My husband jokingly told me it was Maria. I told him she had to be dead by now. (yet it made me wonder)

The next night, the same woman walked by the lounge while we were in there. Again, he said he thought it was Maria and that I should interview her. I was writing travel stories for the paper at the time. I asked the piano player and he said it WAS Maria. I almost fainted. "It would be so awesome if I could get an interview with Maria von Trapp," I told him. Then the piano player explained that they had changed the names for the movie and that there were TWO Maria's. In real life, one of the daughters was named Maria as well. It was the daughter. And she was OLD. I didn't end up interviewing her, but I did do a story for the paper complete with my own photos of the place. I got some very nice pictures of the Trapp Lodge, Stowe and Montreal on that trip. I also did a whole other story on Stowe VT.

Louisa

#57527 - 09/03/06 07:39 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Louisa]
Louisa Offline

I'm off to Vegas so I won't be online this week. As I write this, it's miserable, raining, cold and foggy. I'm hoping the fog doesn't cause any delay in the flight. We'll be arriving shortly before 11 p.m. LV time as it is. My mother called to tell me she heard on the weather channel or somewhere that it's 103 in Vegas. I'd rather it be a little cooler, but after this cold dreary weather, I'll take it. I was just able to get last minute tickets to LOVE at the Mirage. That's the one with all the beatles mucic in it. My husband is all happy about that.

I hope I don't lose all my money. Chatty, I'll give yu a call sometime during the week.

Louisa

#57528 - 09/03/06 07:45 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Louisa]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Just want to say bye-bye, aufwiedersehn, arrivederci
We'll hopefully be back around the middle of October; if the Grizzlies and Pumas in those Canadian wild wood areas allow...
I know I'll miss my visits with you ladies! , Gees, I'm allready looking forward to coming back!
hugs
Hannelore

#57529 - 09/03/06 09:28 PM Re: summer vacations? [Re: Edelweiss]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Have a good holiday, Hannelore! Keep on truckin' in the RV and drive safely.

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved