The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 141 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5544 - 07/22/03 06:09 PM Re: keep the love alive
countrygirl51 Offline

Loc: Clifton, Ks. USA
My hubby can be exasperating at times, like when he changes the channel without asking when I'm watching a movie...but when it comes to the important things, he's always there for me. The other day, I learned that the student loan I am receiving will not cover all the cost of my books for school. In fact, I will need at least $500 to cover them. Dennis is going to give me the money from his personal cash. I didn't even ask him. I had just casually mentioned that the student loan would quite stretch far enough to cover books and he asked how much I needed. He is so sweet. I had been thinking about visiting the banker to get a small loan. Now I won't have to do that. Of course, he teases me. Says once I get my RN degree then he can retire so I can support him while he fishes every day. Good thing I know he's kidding!!

#5545 - 07/23/03 09:15 PM Re: keep the love alive
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Geez, books are so expensive these days. How sweet of him to hand over the cash.

Just curious to know if you have ever tried to get used books for your classes. That is something that is done at 2 of my childrens' schools. It makes a huge difference in price and, for the most part they are in good condition. Just a thought. [Wink]

#5546 - 07/25/03 07:42 AM Re: keep the love alive
countrygirl51 Offline

Loc: Clifton, Ks. USA
I would do that if they were available. The college bookstore does offer used books for sale, but the teachers keep changing the textbook they want to use, which means every couple of years, the students must all buy brand new texts. Its exasperating. One book I will need for this fall is $105. That is my algebra book. I hate to think what the nursing books will be costing me. I have almost all of my old nursing books from my LPN classes that I can use as reference books, as well as some of Teresa's and Becky's, but I'm sure I will have to buy at least several brand new books, as they keep updating them. I'm sure I am looking at over $750 just for books. Its no wonder college has gotten so expensive.

#5547 - 10/11/03 05:22 PM Re: keep the love alive
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
This past Tuesday was our 26th anniversary. We've been moving from one home to another for the past week (just can't do that in 1 day like we could when we were 20 [Smile] )and with all the moving expenses -- we didn't have the bucks to plan anything special -- so it was just an average day -- go to work -- and as it happened -- this was our day to babysit.

Hubby works at WalMart so Belle (my grandbeauty)and I were walking around the baby section waiting for him to get off. He walked up and said wait just a sec -- got to go tell someone something -- and then a few minutes later went back and clocked out and joined us in our window shopping trip. About halfway down the isle I hear the lady on the loudspeaker say "Attention WalMart shoppers and employees -- I'd like to take this opportunity to say congrats to Dwight and Carolyn Horton on their 26th anniversary -- and she went on about WOW 26 years -- isn't that just great -- it's so obvious when you see these two together how happily married they are -- and a few more wonderful things about us [Smile]

I thought that was the sweetest thing -- money couldn't have bought a more meaningful message -- that he would have his pride in "US" announced to the world [Razz] (guess I don't have to worry about him "hitting" on any of the girls at work now huh [Big Grin] )

just wanted to share [Smile]

#5548 - 10/12/03 07:45 AM Re: keep the love alive
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
We've been married 18 years now, and I guess I'd say one of the most important tips is communication - we actually talk to each other! I know some couples who never seem to talk, he's got his plans, she's got hers - she doesn't know what his schedule is and inevitably there's a conflict and someone's upset.

Most of our talks are around the supper table, when we get home from work and are getting supper ready and we just dump our day out and listen to each other.

I've also learned in all these years, that John is not the type for romantic notes, etc - he shows his love by cleaning house for me when I'm busy, cooking on weekends, looking after me when I'm ill or worrying about me when I drive to the city and I'm not home when he's expecting me........and I can be quite content with that.

Wanted to add to this - was just reading the other day in the bible study I was doing - Beth Moore wrote that she got some advice long ago to "pray to thrill to her husband's touch". Not that I have a problem in that area right now [Razz] but I thought I would paraphrase that prayer to "Lord, may I always thrill to my husband's touch and he to mine"

#5549 - 10/12/03 12:45 AM Re: keep the love alive
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Lionspaw and Evie,
I liked both of your stories and whatever you two women are doing, you are doing it right. Keep it up and thanks for sharing your wisdom.

SEE? NO JOKES. I really meant it. [Smile]

#5550 - 10/12/03 01:41 AM Re: keep the love alive
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
The love of my life, my husband, just had cancer surgery. My birthday was yesterday and he surprised me with cards and gifts that he bought prior to his surgery because he was afraid he would not be able to afterward during recovery. I expected and was comfortable with the day passing by but it was the most remarkable day.

Since we have been living in the here and now of late, I can honestly say that if he or I were to pass on tomorrow there is nothing that we wished we would have said to one another. That is a soul mate in my opinion. To say anymore to him would be repetitive.

Of course, we hug, kiss and sometimes just communicate with our eyes. Sounds corny but it gives me goose bumps. This is more profound than a quick romp if you get my drift.And more lasting.

We have been together for 23 years and married for 18. We have an almost 5 year old son - that will give all you boomers a glimpse of what our life is like and our energy level. Not to mention the inability to even speak during dinner! Thanks girls you have helped during this trying time.

#5551 - 10/12/03 02:32 AM Re: keep the love alive
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Lynn,
I didn't know about your husband's surgery. I am so sorry he has been ill. Please give him a hug from me and I think your story was so special. How nice you are to share it with us and help remind us all how wonderful true love is. I got goose bumps as well just reading your lovely words. I will say a prayer for his speedy recovery. Please let us know how he is doing if you get the time. How nice, what a great story to end my day. My best to you both,

#5552 - 10/12/03 06:14 AM Re: keep the love alive
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Lynn, what a sweetie to plan ahead and shop for you before his surgery. [Big Grin]

Sounds like a two are a winner couple!

Yopu mention thanking us for being here for you. Please know you can always come in here and count on us to be here for you. That's what this place is all about! Also know you are all in my prayers. Keep giving thanks for what you have! It always makes life more enjoyable! Blessings on you and your boys....

#5553 - 10/13/03 06:47 AM Re: keep the love alive
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Wow, I'm impressed! Y'all have great relationships! Very refreshing, and what a contrast to the horror stories I hear most of the time!

My hubby is probably the second or third most aggravating person I have ever met! However, I have taken it on as one of my life's missions to remind myself that he's not the #1 most aggravating person in the world, and when I can't find anything else to be grateful for, I can look at that, look at the fact that even with his totally natural human faults, he's a good guy, he's not perfect, but God knows neither am I! OK, that's the tongue-in-cheek part...

One way that I help keep the love alive (married or 2 years, together for 6)is by telling him every day stuff that I really, really like and love about him. Because I think about this all the time, how handsome he is, how good we fit together physically, the way he keeps working until he makes me laugh when I'm feeling rotten (which is a great deal of the time), how loving and considerate he is when he's at his best....

He's a person I really, really want to praise, highly and frequently. I tell him how much he lifhts up my life, and how much he turns me on, and I do my best to make him laugh. I try to not let an opportunity to appreciate him pass me by. I think men in general need to hear praise from their partners, and Raul in particular needs me to build him up (in truthful ways, of course).

We also are good about saying please and thank you. That may sound trivial, but I think it's important, and it's one way to not take your mate for granted. We kiss a lot, little pecks on the cheek or on the lips. We make eye contact a lot, too.

One thing that Raul did at the very, very start of our relationship, and I'm not sure why he even thought of this, but this one thing makes him a relationship GENIUS in my opinion! He told me, not long after we met, and when we admitted to each other that we were deeply in love, that the honeymoon would never end. He said that 4 years before we were even married! And we have made it our goal to do whatever we had to to keep the spark alive... and it has not been hard to do, either, despite all the hardships!

He loves me. He just *loves* me, and he refuses to stop loving me. That's really all I ever wanted, besides a writing career, heh heh! Seriously, part of our success is me finally understanding what's important in my life -- what I've wanted most is just to love and be loved in return -- just like the Nat King Cole song "Nature Boy," except I'm the Nature Girl.

Even in the worst of times, he's looked me straight in the eye and told me that the honeymoon was not over. That in my illest moments, or months, he tells me how much he loves me and needs me, that he just couldn't make it without me. Even at times when I'm flat on my butt in bed, and I don't even smell so good, and I look worse than I smell, he looks me in the eye and tells me all those wonderful things... and he *means* it.

And so the spark never really goes out. And we keep on falling back in love with each other when things get stale. We even consider it a bit of an adventure riding the bus together!

P.S.: This is a guy who never once bought me flowers! Even though he knows darned well I want them. Well, once he bought me a pen with a plastic sunflower glued to the top of it -- my favorite flower, but the pen didn't write worth anything! He does give me gifts frequently, actually, but he just doesn't feel natural giving me flowers!

<grin> It's something you just can't really communicate to someone who hasn't experienced it, yes? What's it's like to find that person who is your true home.....

This is a fantastic topic! I wanna hear / read more!
Love,
Lil

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved