The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#54949 - 01/22/06 06:58 PM Re: new women presidents...
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
I'm not opposed to women leaders, but I think it would be a deadly mistake to assume that gender prequalifies anyone to hold such a key office.
It seems that the leaders who have been chosen to lead their respective countries have been "through the fire" so to speak. Anyone no matter what their gender, who experiences what these people have experienced would either come out of it better or much worse.
The mettle of those who would run for office in the US of the female gender, has not been tested in the same way. Who from a posh lifestyle could possibly understand the population from the ground floor up? Have they ever lived in a one bedroom apartment as a single parent trying to survive on minimum wage with no vehicle to drive, no health insurance and too much pride to stand in food lines?
It is my fear that someone of that ilk would either go too far to the extreme thinking they are empathetic to the situation, or they wouldn't do enough.
Too many of our politicians are out of touch, so far out of touch with reality that they can't possibly qualify for leadership of a nation like ours.

#54950 - 01/23/06 08:11 AM Re: new women presidents...
ladybug Offline

That's true and just because someone donates a generous amount of money to a worthy cause or a charity doesnot mean they have true compassion or understanding of the situation. Some philanthropists simply like seeing their names in the newspaper or on a plaque. They may not know a thing about the organization they donate their money to. Some of that money also has strings attached as stipulated by the donors. Some wealthy individuals also do it to gain the huge tax write-offs it provides them. I learned a good deal about this sort of thing working at I.R.S.

John Kennedy Jr., was one example of an exception. He actually went in and worked among impoverished people in New York City. He brought Christmas gifts to poor children. He was a wonderful example of someone who really cared instead of making it a "photo opportunity." He worked in other countries helping people even though it was dangerous for him to do so.

[ January 22, 2006, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

#54951 - 01/23/06 08:38 AM Re: new women presidents...
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Neither background, intellect, or gender determines the ability to lead. Character is the best determinant and it is measured, not in intentions, but in actions.

Even then, gaining power or losing it changes people and one never knows how it will change an individual.

smile

#54952 - 01/23/06 08:57 AM Re: new women presidents...
NewLeaf Offline

Ladybug, that's good to know. It would take a lot to be able to come from a lifestyle of so much and humble yourself in that way.

I wrote for a social magazine in Nebraska which came out monthly. My job was to go to all the charitable events, take pictures, interview attendees and organizers.

It was what the wives of the wealthy and successful were expected to do, plan and attend charitable events and be seen. It was part of their job description. If they had to go and get 'Mother Teresa' dirty, they would have been appalled.

They were trained for their station in life from a teenager.

I see women like the new Chilean president as mavericks, chosen ones so to speak. The Cinderella with our American female leaders as her ugly stepsisters.

#54953 - 01/24/06 07:02 PM Re: new women presidents...
NewLeaf Offline

I live in a community with a privately owned university for the well off. I worked for a short time where the youngsters came after the bars closed.
It was a huge eye opener. These people are our future leaders, majoring in business administration. Their greatest bain was when "daddy forgot to replenish their pay as you go credit cards."
None of them worked or had part-time jobs. One of our friends who owns a popular restaurant in our town told us most of the students major in bed hopping and seeing how drunk they can get.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved