The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 129 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#54939 - 01/18/06 11:18 PM Re: new women presidents...
ladybug Offline

The thing I've always wondered is this: If a president, prime minister or any other high ranking official comes from wealth and has led a fairly easy life how can they really be in touch with those they govern?

Can they really understand the needs of the poor if they've grown up with nannies, governesses and everything they want and need?

Can they understand the educational needs of others if they've always attended the very best, prestigious schools?

Can they understand the pressures of college and being accepted into a school of their choice if their parents are alumni with a huge check book and clout to get them into any school they want even if they don't have the acumen for it?

It's not an easy thing to answer and maybe it doesn't really make for a good president all the time. Consider that Abraham Lincoln was one of those great men who did come from humble beginnings. I think he was one of the few who could truly relate to the common man. Maybe we shall not see the likes of a great leader like this ever again.

#54940 - 01/20/06 07:06 AM Re: new women presidents...
norma Offline

Loc: western canada
I've been thinking about these questions for awhile now, the first name that cropped up in my mind is Bill Gates, I believe his children will be very much aware of the needs of others, because he is not only aware, but constantly doing something to make a differenc.

But if people like Gates, were the norm rather than the exception, surely revolutions would have never taken place..

#54941 - 01/20/06 07:04 PM Re: new women presidents...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Ladybug, sometimes people who come from this type of background that you mention learn what they don't want for themselves and go about life differently as adults. Just a wild thought.

#54942 - 01/20/06 07:05 PM Re: new women presidents...
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Good question Ladybug. I think it's a matter of the heart and morals, rather than money. God is either in their hearts or He isn't. I believe that is where our decision making skills come from.

#54943 - 01/21/06 08:28 AM Re: new women presidents...
ladybug Offline

I think it is too Dianne.

#54944 - 01/21/06 08:45 AM Re: new women presidents...
norma Offline

When i watch the financial news, and hear of million dollar bonuses for CEO's etc, and then learn of the wages, working conditions etc. of some their employees, i think, the more things change, the more they remain the same.....

But i am very encouraged because programs such as Seasame Street, the Bernstein Bears are reaching out to millions of young minds, and teaching them values of appreciation and respect for one another. Caring beyond oneself. As programs such as these spread and multiple, they reinforce the positive values of parents, or at least expose children to a different slant, when parents are not able themselves to teach these lessons.

[ January 20, 2006, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: norma ]

#54945 - 01/20/06 11:26 PM Re: new women presidents...
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Understanding a problem is of little value unless one actually does something to solve it. People in poverty may have the compassion, but not the ability to help and others who have overcome poverty may have the ability, but not the compassion. It is so easy to speak compassion, but but it is difficult to actually do something to help others.

Handling great wealth and privilege can require greater depth of character than poverty. There are so many privileged people who do more than is easily observed. Rather than grandstanding, they choose to do it in private.

To imply that privileged people are less compassionate is reverse discrimination and it is as cruel as any other type of bias.

smile

[ January 20, 2006, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#54946 - 01/21/06 01:38 AM Re: new women presidents...
norma Offline

"To create an opportunity of employment for others, is the highest form of loving kindness, as it provides them the means to live with dignity and self respect" .......

That isn't the direct quote, but i believe it true. This town, where i grew up, exists because a couple of men, (americans by the way ) had knowledge, skill and wealth to invest. Along with the large mill, railroads and dams, they had strong, good homes built for their employees, carpenters and gardeners to keep the whole place beautiful, the best medical treatment available for employees and their families, even three churches for the religious denominations at the time, they had an excellent elementary and high school built .....

it was a win - win situation for all...

I may be a dreamer, but i think if more had the courage and idealism of Brooks and Scanlon throughout the ages, this world, in so many ways would be different.

#54947 - 01/21/06 02:39 AM Re: new women presidents...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Now thats putting your money where your mouth is....

#54948 - 01/21/06 05:36 AM Re: new women presidents...
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
chatty,
I agree with you . I will be interesting to see what happens in these countrys with the women presidents . I think they will do a fantastic job . This is a good topic to follow in the news . Maybe there will be more women presidents in the future . I hope!

[ January 20, 2006, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: Renee ]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved