The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 172 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5398 - 11/24/02 11:21 PM Curious
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Just checking the boards and realized that this topic had the oldest post. I am just curious because I think most of the people(though not all) in the forum are married. Why aren't we talking about our marriages? What's up with that?

#5399 - 11/25/02 02:55 AM Re: Curious
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
Why aren't we talking about our marriages? Hmm?
We could all probably write volumes. I love my husband, he's my closest friend at this point....but usually when your friends get on your nerves you can take a breather....you can't really take a timeout from marriage can you? Marriage is such a funny thing, the most co-dependent, passive aggressive pas de deux in the world. Why do men leave the toilet seat up? passive aggression....it annoys us. Why do all men need a recliner? passive agression, what women want a recliner in their traditional living room? Why is their never any toilet paper left on the roll? Because men need it only occassionally and when they use the last of it....who suffers, not them, they drip dry. (Oh my is this really on line...sorrry!) I could go on and on.....

#5400 - 11/25/02 07:38 AM Re: Curious
Uvagolfmom Offline

Two reasons for me, I guess. One, I am new to this and just getting my feet wet. Two, I am very happy on this particular topic and am not sure how that is necessarily helpful to people unless they want to know why people are happy. I have a lot of thoughts on the subject and eventually would like to spend time trying to help people start off right in marriage.

#5401 - 11/25/02 04:13 PM Re: Curious
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I love your point about being happy in your marriage. I too am happy and feel so very blessed to contunue to be happy after 23 years of marriage. In fact, there are times that I feel GUILTY because of that happiness. Not everyone has it and I find this sad. I have a husband who has always been willing to communicate AND do his fair share. I feel like we are a true team. Why is it that some men aren't willing to do their fair share. I know women who are who are willing to work at their marriages, but their husbands don't understand what that means, and if they do...they aren't willing.

#5402 - 11/25/02 05:15 PM Re: Curious
Kathryn Offline

I wouldn't want to not be married to my husband, if that makes any sense. I love when we are able to escape our daily reality and go to lunch midweek or sneak out for a late night every so often. I love to make him laugh. A good day is one that begins with a warm hug and a chuckle or two. And it is the laughter that gets us through the times we want to kill each other! I think that people need to be committed to the idea that marriage is for the long haul and takes energy and creativity and hard work sometimes. If I walked away every time I wanted to throw in the towel because things got a little rocky, I would have left before the ink was dry on the license.
It also helps me to remember that regardless of what I promised my husband on that day, I made a vow to God and really don't want to let Him down.

#5403 - 11/30/02 06:03 AM Re: Curious
Uvagolfmom Offline

I believe there is a lot to be said about taking the vow seriously and I am not convinced everyone does. I go back and forth between marveling at how resilient marriages are to fearing how fragile they are. I also see so much damage people inflict in failing to communicate. I try to have my husband understand that if I am hurting him about something, usually it is out of stupidity than malice, and over the years, he has come to believe me. I feel sorry for people that do not or are not able to hang in there for 20 years or so, because it is getting better all the time. This is where I feel like I can probably help down the road, and where a forum like this could be good, in terms of letting people know what to expect and not to expect out of a marriage.

#5404 - 11/30/02 03:34 PM Re: Curious
Micki Offline

Loc: Linthicum, MD
My marriage lasted from 1973 until 2000, and enede only with the death of my husband. I still "feel married", even though it's been three years. My parents were married 52 years when my mother died and my father was (and is) married for life. My grandfathers both lost their wives at 52 and neither of them ever dated again (they both died in their late 70's and 80's).

I think that married people today need reality checks. You don't throw in the towel every time the laundry isn't in the hamper, or he wants to watch a football game, or you can't decide who gets the last piece of pie, or the kids are driving you both nuts, or somebody left their dish on the floor and it's growing mould under the sofa, or you forgot to put gas int he car and he ran out on the way to work to a very important meeting, etc.

A good marriage takes hard work from both sides. You have to be ready to commit to it for life, not until something better comes along. Sometimes you have to actually do things that aren't fun, too.

And if anyone tells you they never argue, they are fibbing big time---everybody does----BUT, the arguments can be constructive or destructive.

We had many arguments in our 29 years, but boy, did we love to make up!! Made the arguments almost worth it, I'll tell you!

#5405 - 11/30/02 07:38 PM Re: Curious
nillawafer Offline

Loc: new orleans
and another thing....i do not believe inthis whole don't argue in front on your kids thing. that is a bunch of bull. how else are oyur kids going tolearn how to resolve conflict if they don't see how it happens and gets resolved in the first place. my kids are the best at it... believe me!!!! my husband and i have lived each and every wedding vow to the highest and lowest point! without that there is no strength of character or strength in marriage.. i am a firm believer in that. unless you know each others best and worst points how do you truly know each other? you must be good fighters to be good lovers.

#5406 - 12/04/02 06:13 PM Re: Curious
Kathryn Offline

Your point about fussing in front of the children is an excellent one. I never saw my parents argue or get angry with each other. So when I got involved in relationships I was sure the world was coming to an end if we fought. In fact I had huge anger issues. I would never get angry or lose my temper, at least not on the outside. But on the inside my anger was eating me alive. When I finally blew it was not a pretty thing.

And the opposite side of the coin is the affection kids see. My kids are old enough now to be embarrassed when my husband and I are caught in a hug or kiss. And heaven for bid we get caught patting fannies....our oldest is mortified and tells us to rent a room. But I think it is imperative that children see a loving affectionate relationship and know that it doesn't end as parents get older. I pray that it gives them a healthy view of the sexual aspects of a relationship within the framework of marriage.

#5407 - 12/04/02 07:39 PM Re: Curious
nillawafer Offline

Loc: new orleans
veery true.. my children have grown up living the embarrassment a hug or kiss in front of friend can give. my husbands favorite is during a kiss, the flip of his foot behind him in the air. (women used to do that in the movies and he thinks it is funny that he as a man does it in front of the kids,,,,,well,,mine are young adults,,but anyway). i have read that children secretly love it when their parents show affection. it gives them a feeling of security.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved