The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 168 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#52720 - 06/17/03 05:12 PM we are getting fatter and less healthy
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
According to a chart in USA TODAY Americans are getting fatter every year!

Way back in 1960-1962, 45% of adults aged 20-74 were overweight.

1999-2000 found 64.5% of the same age group overweight! [Eek!]

What do you attribute this to?

One thing I believe is more people dine out these days and the choices aren't always healthy... and the PORTIONS are HUGE!

For those of us who like to clear our plates, we probably eat twice as much compared to what we would have eaten at home for the same meal.

Any thoughts?

#52721 - 06/18/03 04:02 AM Re: we are getting fatter and less healthy
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
My parents are in their 80's -- and healthier now than I'll ever be -- they never had McDonald's growing up -- Pepsi is Not their generation -- meat, potatoes and a veggie is a daily meal in the evening -- and water was free.

We've become a country of fast food junkies -- even in our school cafeteria's -- go into a school cafeteria and see how the kids have to shovel the food in just to get through in time -- they have to get so many kids into the cafeteria and in such a short period of time that the kids only have about 5 min to actually get the food down -- that causes a great deal of them to just skip it all together.

It doesn't surprise me at all that we've become a fat society.

#52722 - 06/18/03 03:45 PM Re: we are getting fatter and less healthy
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Has anyone read anything about fatty food and junk food becoming the new tobacco? Some states are trying to raise the tax on fatty foods and some people have sued places like McDonald's for making them fat. While the suits were unsuccessful, the same thing was true with the first law suits brought against tobacco companies.

I think the tax idea is a pretty good one. Fats and sweets are kind of like a drug. My husband, who was recently diagnosed with diabetes, often says he feels like a recovering drug addict when it comes to cutting off the sweets and high-carb foods. If we have higher sales tax for a bottle of wine and a carton of cigarettes, why not for the box of twinkies?

#52723 - 06/19/03 04:58 AM Re: we are getting fatter and less healthy
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
[Big Grin] maybe that will work [Big Grin]

#52724 - 07/24/03 07:01 AM Re: we are getting fatter and less healthy
Kelly L. Adams Stone Offline

Loc: Florida
I think the reason we are all fatter is because there is sugar in everything, literally. It's in ketchup for crying out loud! Studies show that when given a choice, infants prefer sugared water to plain water, and so do we, as adults. Humans are rigged to go for the sweet taste. The food companies take full advantage of this fact. The next time you're in the grocery store, look at various labels- you will see sugar in everything, just everything. That's why I think we're all fatter!
Kelly

#52725 - 07/23/03 11:11 PM Re: we are getting fatter and less healthy
Gera Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I have worked with children of all ages for a number of years. [Smile] I can't believe what children eat for lunch. [Eek!] Most of the time the sandwhich is not touched while they eat the junk food packed along with it. I hardly ever see them eating fruit or veggies. Soda is usually the beverage of choice. When I take the kids hiking they all complain they are tired and can't do the mile hike. Too much TV and computer games. Whatever happened to playing outside? [Cool] A good diet and exercise is so important. We need to teach this to our kids by example.

#52726 - 07/24/03 04:39 PM Re: we are getting fatter and less healthy
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I couldn't agree with you more. We need to teach our children healthy eating habits and push them out the door into the fresh air.

Through the years I've walked a lot through our neighborhood at different times of the day,and there are only two locations where I can say there are typically children outside playing. Where are all these little children? I can walk for blocks and not see any.

The one location where the kids are out playing any season, or time of day is so refreshing. Coming through the neighhborhood this summer in my car, I had to stop and buy a cold drink from them.

They had their little table set up and for ten cents I got a little cup of juice with the choice of a free Twizzler or cookie. I couldn't help but give them a dollar. They were thrilled. [Razz]

#52727 - 07/25/03 07:36 AM Re: we are getting fatter and less healthy
countrygirl51 Offline

Loc: Clifton, Ks. USA
I believe it is a combination of everything you have all mentioned..the fast food, the huge portions, the addiction to sweets and carbs, and the sedentary lifestyle. Kids and adults are glued to tvs and videogames and computers now instead of playing sports, working outside, and other healthful pursuits. People that smoke are even more handicapped, as the smoking takes away their full capacity to take in pure air, draining them of the energy to do their work or sports. We have become a pleasure oriented society. IF it feels good or tastes good, do it. We are killing ourselves with kindness.
I'll get off my soapbox now. I'm just as guilty as the next person. I'm sitting at my computer instead of getting my housework done.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved