The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 116 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#52713 - 05/23/03 05:00 PM Annika Sorenson
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Alright ladies, what do you think about Annika
Sorenson playing the Colonial on the PGA tour--a
tour which has been all male. This is the modern day Billy Jean King/ Bobby Riggs.

Annika is the premeir woman's golfer on the LPGA.

Do you think she should be playing with the men even though women have their own tour? Do you think this will help bring the game of golf to a new generation of women golfers? Or do you think this is just a publicity stunt? [Big Grin] [Razz] [Cool]

#52714 - 05/23/03 05:25 PM Re: Annika Sorenson
caloona Offline

Loc: baltimore
Still on the fence. What happens eventually-one PGA tour only? Then will their be the balance issue-equal men amd women playing in the one and only co-ed PGA tour? progress-life will deal with it.

#52715 - 05/24/03 07:00 AM Re: Annika Sorenson
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
I have always thought that there should be one PGA tour for both. I always thought of it like the way they do marathons. Everyone runs the same race, but there's a women and a men's winner. I do think some of it is publicity, but I was very happy for her when she scored one over par yesterday, she's definitely earned the right to compete on the men's tour. It was also satisfying to hear the Sports Junkies on the radio this morning have to eat crow about everything they've been saying about her not being able to compete with the guys.

#52716 - 05/24/03 01:12 AM Re: Annika Sorenson
countrygirl51 Offline

Loc: Clifton, Ks. USA
I say if she can beat the men at their own game, why not? Its not like its a personal contact sport. They won't be wrestling on the ground for a ball, or tackling each other, or slamming each other around. I don't watch golf myself, but I have several inlaws that play the game and play golf with their spouses too. I really don't see what the big fuss is about. I don't think she should have any special considerations because she is a woman. If she wants to play against the men, then she should do it on their level.

#52717 - 05/26/03 12:16 AM Re: Annika Sorenson
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
One of the male golfers said it -- the purse is so much higher for men then the women -- and if they're good enough to win it -- why not take it home !!!

When they start treating women like equals in pay -- at work or sports -- women will stop trying to "compete" for the brass ring against the men ---- it's not about beating the guys -- it's about respect and equality. If we're better, smarter, quicker, whatever -- just plain more qualified -- why the uh hmmm can't we get the same pay as men ?????

and we shouldn't have to sacrifice having doors opened for us either [Smile]

#52718 - 05/28/03 06:42 PM Re: Annika Sorenson
TerrieRoxanne Offline

Loc: CA
I am all for women and men competing against each other in certain sports. I am a former golfer and have had my own share of male competition and I loved it. I was able to out drive some of the guys and out score some of them too! The biggest problem that I can see with a PGA for all, ( a co-ed PGA, isn't that cute? [Cool] )is that they all would play from the same tee box. No handicapping invovled in the LPGA or PGA, so everyone does play equal. The problem is that most men do hit the ball farther and that is a big plus on tour. For instance, look at Tiger Woods and his long shots. He is a phenomenom. No female could stand a chance at 1st place competing against him. (unless he played with one arm tied behind his back.)That's not to say that the women aren't great in their own right. The pay scale is because of the draw of the crowd and the big money ads. Womens golf just doesn't draw enough spectators or support. The LPGA needs more support from everyone to bring their level of money up to the mens. They have my support. I also think they should be able to compete with men even if they don't have a chance of winning. One more thing, women can compete in the LPGA with shorts on, but the men can not wear shorts in the PGA, even on the hottest of days, they must wear long pants. What's up with that? My 2cents worth.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved