The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 188 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#51909 - 04/23/04 05:25 PM can't believe we're old enough!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Didn't grandparents seem older when we were kids?

Family and friends are becoming grandparents and it flips me out.

I thought grandparents were old and wore old people's clothes. That can't possibly be us?! [Razz]

#51910 - 04/23/04 09:30 PM Re: can't believe we're old enough!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I hanestly don't believe we are the same as our grandparents. Both my grandmothers wore cotton wrap around housedresses and sensible clunky black shoes with those little heals. [Embarrassed] My grandmothers both died before 60. My mom who's now 84 and still working full time wears pants suits, and nice skirts and blouses or sweaters. [Smile] I at 50 was running around in levi's and tank tops when my first grandchild was born. Even now at 63 I never dress like my grandmothers and their friends did. [Razz] If I hadn't gained so much weight, I'd still be in levis and tank tops. I suppose things change with the times. Do they even make housedresses anymore? [Confused] and who'd wear them anyway?

#51911 - 04/23/04 09:39 PM Re: can't believe we're old enough!
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
My mother is 83 and dresses like a fashion model.
She, my daughter, and I took my 5 yr. old granddaughter (Mom's great granddauther) shopping. Mom said something about being too old to spend so much on clothes and makeup.

My granddaughter piped up with, "Grandmother, if you didn't have fancy clothes and pretty makeup, you'll be just another old nursing home woman."
We all laughed our brains out.

Chatty, you're right. I was a grandma in my 40's and I don't think I looked like my grandma. Maybe it's cause we started younger and our kids did also. In addition, we're all living so much longer now. What used to be old age is now just middle age cause our lifespan is longer.

Let's hear it for us YOUNG grandmas!!
smile

#51912 - 04/26/04 04:07 PM Re: can't believe we're old enough!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Chatty, my 91 year old aunt wears housedresses. I was in Hecht's (our local department store) just last week and I saw one rack of them. They brought a smile to my face. My aunt is an inspiration to me. She had cancer 2 years ago and beat it. She has incredible spirit.

We attended her 90th birthdy party and it was huge. She has lots of elderly friends that mean the world to her. Many are friends she's made since moving to her apartment, but they are all special whether she's known them forever, or two months. She's a people person who puts her love out there.

A quick story about her: She attended a meeting for her apartment complex and everyone was complaining about anything they could think of. She waited in line to talk to the man holding the meeting just to tell him she was satisfied and thought he did a great job of managing the complex.

Housedresses...I love the thought of them! [Big Grin]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved