The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 165 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#51882 - 01/17/04 04:19 PM oh brother!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
My brother is going to be a grandparent! He has three boys and it looks like the first grandchild is also a boy. The amiden name carries on!

Interesting...my mom was from a fmaily of nine. I have a gazillion cousins and they've been having kids for years.

Until this summer, not a boy was born to carry the family name. Now there's one little baby boy who will carry the Collin's name into the next century? Well, if we're lucky, maybe one of his kids! [Big Grin]

#51883 - 01/17/04 04:21 PM Re: oh brother!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Forgot to tell you...I have three sisters so none of us were any help with carrying the name along.

NOne of this would have mattered years baack, but the older I get, the more I get into the tradition of things. [Big Grin] You?

#51884 - 01/17/04 05:00 PM Re: oh brother!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I know the feeling Dots...there are five girls in my family and my Dad was raised in a family of nine as well...8 girls and him.

So...we have no one to carry on our name. It makes me sad if I think about it.

#51885 - 01/18/04 11:54 PM Re: oh brother!
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
my hubby was just talking about this the other night -- the fact that our son had a girl and unless his lady changes her mind, his name will end with him [Frown] so it's mixed blessings -- happy to have a girl but hoping there will be a boy somewhere down the line [Smile]

#51886 - 01/19/04 01:04 AM Re: oh brother!
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
This happened to my parents. I am the only one they had. They too wanted a boy to carry on the name and my grandmother did too.
When we had our boy his middle name is my maiden name so in a way you can carry the name on.
Thanks,
Maggie

#51887 - 01/19/04 01:28 AM Re: oh brother!
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
My parents were older when I was born so I was much anticipated. They were poor and lived in the country, but my Dad insited they stay in a nice hotel in town from long before I was due until after I was born. He paid in advance for an ambulance to take Mom to the hospital and bring her back to the hotel. They stayed in the hotel after I was born so I wouldn't be cold in the rickety house. When spring came, Daddy built us a new house.

I was the firstborn and my Dad was adamant throughout the pregnancy that he expected me to be a boy. I was to be Henry, Jr. Mom had a long labor and was afraid he would be disappointed when I turned out to be a girl. But when Mom came out of the delivery room carrying me and the doctor told Dad I was a girl, she says he looked at me and said, "Just what I wanted."

I have one sister, but all of our cousins were boys so if it was a problem, we never knew. We were always Dad's princesses.

A play I wrote about my birth has been performed a few times at the college here.

I also have two daughters. They have retained their maiden names and have used them as middle names for my grandsons. My granddaughter has the middle name of my mother. I'm expecting another granddaughter in June and my daughter says she plans to use my middle name in her name some way.

smile

[ January 18, 2004, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#51888 - 02/05/04 05:47 PM Re: oh brother!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Smile, do you have any of your work online?

ALso, I think it's sweet that your grandchild will have one of your names.

Two of our three kids have family names as part of theri full names, but one doesnt'. What were we thinking? [Eek!] I wish they all did. Live and learn!

#51889 - 02/05/04 09:58 PM Re: oh brother!
smilinize Offline

Dotsie, I suppose you could change the name of the one child without the family name to include it. ?? Maybe not that important.

As to my work online. I've not done anything in that area yet. My husband is supposed to be working on a website for me, but he's not had a lot of time lately so it's going sloooow. He's hoping to get arond to some of those things soon.

I've enjoyed this site and those of the women who've posted so much. Can't wait to have my own.

smile

#51890 - 03/02/04 05:55 PM Re: oh brother!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Smile, want to share your web address in this forum?

By the way, my brother is a grandfather to a precious baby boy. [Wink] That makes two of my siblings grandparents.

I'm having a hard time believing this is all possible at our ages. Anyone else feel like we're too young to be grandparents? Where has all the time gone? I thought grandparents were old. Is it just this baby boomer generation that feels this way, or did our parents feel the same?

I know one thing for sure, they looked older when they were claiming grandchildren. [Razz] Please tell me this is so!

#51891 - 03/02/04 06:23 PM Re: oh brother!
smilinize Offline

Here's the site. Come see.....

http://historytheater.org/his_story_theater

I'm going to figure out how to put it at the end of my posts like JJ and M and others as soon as I get around to it.

Thanks for asking.

smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved