The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 102 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#51864 - 10/16/03 04:03 PM babysitting the grandkids
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Curious to know if many of you babysit the grandkids. I know ther are some grandparents who can't wait to babysit and do it on a very regular basis.

Then I know others who feel as though they've raised their kids and don't want to do it all over again.

I don't have grandchildren, but I know my parents loved/love my kids and all thier grandchildren, but they were the type who only babysat for special occasions. Could be because they have/had 12 and they could have babysat their lives away... [Eek!]

#51865 - 11/01/03 03:29 PM Re: babysitting the grandkids
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I'm not sure about this one, but I do recall my mom saying they never went out as much as my generation did when they had their kids. They stayed home and if they went anywhere they dragged all five kids alond with them.

Also, in there case, I think they were tired of raising kids and had done their share.

#51866 - 02/12/05 02:58 AM Re: babysitting the grandkids
chichii Offline

Loc: Grande Prairie
I have a two year old grandson named Cameron, I babysit sometimes once or twice a week. I would like to see him more often but he also has his other grandparents living in the same town. Whom he probably sees more of because they are his mothers parents. Anyway he is a joy to have around, he is talking or should I say parroting what ever is said, loves to help around the house. I should also say he looks like his daddy when his father was small, and copies whatever his father does. I have another grandchild named Crimson she is six months old and we keep in touch over the phone and through the e-mails, his mother has a digital camera so I get to see how she is changeing as well. Right now her first tooth has finally broken through, and she is trying various fruits in her diet along with her mothers breast milk. Crimson is also a very happy little girl, I have yet to hear complain even when her mom and I are on the phone. You can hear her cooing in the background. chichii

#51867 - 02/13/05 02:59 AM Re: babysitting the grandkids
Dotsie Offline
Founder

chichii, we have friends who have out of an out- of-town grandchild. They bought some type of kit from Radio Shack that allows them to talk and see each other on their computer. You might want to check it out. I think it cost around $50.

#51868 - 02/15/05 12:53 AM Re: babysitting the grandkids
Sunshine Offline

Loc: Yucaipa, California
I have 5 grandchildren and 1 due in a few weeks. I babysit whenever needed which sometimes means 24/7 with my middle son who is a sheriff (has two beautiful daughters 7 and 2 and one son on the way). The other son and his wife are nurses so they can rotate their shifts to be home with the kids (identical 1 year old twin girls and 4 year old son). I do, however, "grandma sit" with them at least once a week for a few hours. I know it seems I am spending more time with the one family's children but I have lots of love to give. I read to them, rock them to sleep, play games with them and even get to sing to the little ones since they can't tell me how bad I sing. GRANDCHILDREN are a joy. When I was going to marry my husband (recently married Dec.21, 2004) it was with the understanding that my grandchildren were important little people in my life. He agreed and we sometimes SIT together.

#51869 - 02/16/05 11:25 PM Re: babysitting the grandkids
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Sunshine, does your hubby have any grandkids? You are blessed to be so involved in the lives of your grown children!

[ February 16, 2005, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#51870 - 02/19/05 10:21 AM Re: babysitting the grandkids
Sunshine Offline

Loc: Yucaipa, California
New husband has 9 grandkids but only four live near us. They are all older 10 and up so don't need the babysitting so much. We try to see them every few weeks. His family is not as close as ours which he misses and finally is enjoying with my hectic family. I spent the morning with the twins today--what fun and what one doesn't think of, the other does!!
Now you can understand why I don't have "writing" time set aside. I complain but really do enjoy the little ones and know they will be little only for a short time.
Wish there was more response to Grandkids, would like to see if I'm the only Nutty Grandma out there.

#51871 - 02/19/05 06:51 PM Re: babysitting the grandkids
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Honey child, let me tell you about my grandchild! ha! She is beautiful, talented, and 4 months old. Imagine all of that in one package and only 4 months old? hahah....My son bought her a new walker and he called laughing and said you have to come see this. She does the "Fred Flintstone" thing. I said "huh?" He said "she has her feet and legs going 90 miles an hour but she doesn't move an inch!" Of course I ran over there (across town) in my pj's just to see it! Glad I didn't have a wreck...hahah...Oh yeah, Big Mamma is loving this grandmother role.

JJ

[ February 19, 2005, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: jawjaw ]

#51872 - 02/20/05 06:17 AM Re: babysitting the grandkids
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Such a lucky little girl to have such a fun loving [Big Grin] and giving woman as you for her Granny. [Wink]

#51873 - 03/12/05 05:43 PM Re: babysitting the grandkids
Sammie Offline

Loc: Elkton, Maryland
I have 10 grandchildren and my husband has 8. They range in age 6 months to 14 1/2 years old. We've been married 15 years so they are all 'ours.' We often accuse our adult children for 'ripping us off' of the empty nest syndrome that our friends have experienced. It seems at least one grandchild is present at any given moment. We don't actually babysit unless it's an emergency or special occasion. The older ones call and want to come over to spend time or spend the night. I rarely say 'no.' I find it too hard. That's one of the reasons why I keep working. I'm afraid if I 'retire' (I'm not really eligible yet), I'll become an expected baby-sitter. I like my grandchildren to visit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved