The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 186 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#51833 - 10/05/05 07:58 AM Re: being left out
Scorpio115 Offline

Loc: New York
We're long-distance grandparents. I never thought I could love grandchildren as much as I do but my husband and I never get to see them. Just 4 days this year alone, for the miles do make all the difference. I'm always depressed,jealous of my friends who babysit, go to birthday parties, recitals, etc. I cry every day because of these lost opportunities.

#51834 - 10/05/05 08:47 AM Re: being left out
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Scorpio, I share your long distance family relationship. I bought my kids a webcam and I am *there* when the grandkids have birthdays or we just wave back and forth.

My granddaughter(age 13) and I chat on MSN or the phone. My grandson (age 4+)and I chat on the phone, yes I call every day, to Canada.

I send a package once a month to grandson and my grandaughter and I shop online(age difference, she knows what she likes). She orders(I limit) and I pay.

I have a brand new grandson and I have a package all ready to go tomorrow. If they see me and hear me and get surprises from me, they won't forget me.

Yes being a grandma long distance is terrible, just terrible but I have found ways to overcome and make the distance shorter. I hope this helps you too.

The packages are just little things I pick up here and there and the phone bill is a package deal...the webcam only cost 19.99 at Walmart.

I visit only once a year and haven't seen my new grandbaby yet....soon I hope.

Two are in Newfoundland and one in Ontario now so I have to plan to do the round trip thing.

Your post touched me and I thought I'd share the little ways I have overcome my yearning for them...they are precious and yes it's amazing how much we can love them, I agree totally.

We can't babysit, attend functions etc...but we can be there in other ways. Hope this helps.

My grandson got a package just 2 days ago...today he asked the postmistress...any packages for me today? Ha ha, see he anticipates getting them from Nanny(that's me. [Cool] )

Now I'm homesick [Wink]
Hugs
chick

#51835 - 10/05/05 05:38 PM Re: being left out
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
For those of you who have family in another country, I'd like to recommend Skype. You have to buy a special headset by Logitech, which isn't expensive. My sister in France also has it and we can talk for free anytime. Not sure if you can talk free in the states but if you go to their site, I'm sure they will give that info.

#51836 - 10/06/05 07:03 AM Re: being left out
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Chick, will you adopt me as your grandchild?

Do you send them virtual cakes?

#51837 - 10/06/05 07:49 AM Re: being left out
Scorpio115 Offline

Chickadee:
I appreciate your situation but you've found a way to make it work for you. I've spent a fortune on sending down gifts, clothes, etc. I have a houseful of photos as well. Communication drops off because of busy schedules and to tell you the truth, there is no physical presence. I'd rather hand a toy to my grandchild than have a postman do so. I want to hug them not wave. I'm sure you feel the same way. I've been trying for years to make this work but they don't meet me half way. When was the last time yours visited you? I know that this message may sound angry. It isn't directed at you personally. It is at my son who hasn't come up with his family in over 3 years. He still has relatives up here. And, I'd like my grandchildren to have memories of Grandma and Grandpa's house as well. You see, it can only work two-ways.

#51838 - 10/05/05 11:18 PM Re: being left out
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Dianne, I will look into Skype...sounds good. Thanks.

Dotsie,I would adopt you any day. We'd have to do the long distance relationship thingy still.

Scorpio, I completely understand how you miss the personal side of hugging your grandchildren or handing them a toy. I truly hope your son sees how important it is for his children to know, love and occassionaly visit their grand parents.Have you expressed your feelings to him about this?(I am guessing maybe you have.)and how did he react? What reason is he giving. What about the DIL's parents? Are they close or far away like you? I hope everything works out for you soon. How old are your grandbabies?

Hugs
chick

#51839 - 10/06/05 02:03 AM Re: being left out
Scorpio115 Offline

Chick:
Son won't discuss it. Very sensitive topic. I suspect that he feels a bit guilty as he moved to appease his wife. Her parents retired and relocated to that state and her siblings followed. Would've been a bit easier to swallow had there been a more valid reason to put so many miles between us. So they're the only family the kids know. We are just novelties as they see us so seldom. Understandably, it is hard for them to travel. There's always a reason not to, but what about the reasons to visit? Granddaughters are seven and four and the new grandson just turned one. Weren't there for any of the big events. Not one holiday either way. Their solution is for us to move. Leaving others behind. However, very tempting as those are our only grandchildren. No easy answer.

#51840 - 10/06/05 02:56 AM Re: being left out
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Scorpio, do you get invited to visit them or are you basically ignored? I'd hop on a plane and get me some grandkids lovin' in a flash!

#51841 - 10/06/05 05:26 AM Re: being left out
Scorpio115 Offline

Dianne:
Not entirely ignored but not encouraged to visit very much, just to move there. Not easy to hop on planes either, you must know that. If it were, we'd be there more than once a year. See, we didn't move but the onus is ours to make it work. They do nothing to bridge the gap. If they came here once a year, at least for a holiday, and we went down there at least twice, it wouldn't be as natural as it was meant to be but a heck of a lot better. Our situtation is so unique we don't know what to do.

#51842 - 10/06/05 05:45 PM Re: being left out
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Is there some kind of hidden anger going on? Is your son carrying animosity toward you for some unknown reason? I just don't understand how a spouse can carry so much influence without it. Just asking as my stepson and wife are pregnant and I know I'll rarely see the baby. I'm not even sure what I'll be to the baby. Sad.

I know it's not easy to always hop on a plane and I don't know where you live but I signed up for Southwest Airlines announcements and always watch for special deals on flights to AZ. I've found some really cheap ones. I have six grandkids and they all live in Az so I understand the distance and how your arms ache to hold those children.

I'm really sorry you're going through this pain. It must be awful.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved