The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 122 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#51807 - 06/01/03 04:16 PM Bonafide Grandma
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
[Smile] I babysat the other night -- TWO nights actually [Smile]

and now all's right in the world [Smile]

as we drove off from her house for a few hours of babysitting -- it hit me that my daughter-in-law had not even blinked when she packed up her brand new baby -- loaded her in my car -- and waved bye

she had just trusted me with the most precious thing in her life

i truly feel like a "grandma" now [Big Grin]

and the funny thing is -- now i can let them go

i think i may like this new chapter in my life [Wink]

#51808 - 06/01/03 05:33 PM Re: Bonafide Grandma
caloona Offline

Loc: baltimore
I've finally taken the time to read all these about grandparenting.Only one child for me and he's a boy and he lives on the other side of the country.My goodness there seems to be some stuff ahead of me.
They have said they would return to the east coast when they have children because my daughter-in -law's dad and stepmom are on the east coast too(Philly).I only hope they haven't become so attached to the west by the time children arrive that they can't see leaving.
I have a friend who has a son and grandchild in Washington. She only gets to see them 10 days in the summer and every other Christmas. Her daughter-in-laws parents are the "real" grandparents. I don't think I could handle that.
I'll handle what I need to if, or when, the times come,but hearing your concerns helps because it plants a seed. I may have to prepare myself for some acceptance of things I hadn't expected.
As for my grandparents-we lived right up the street from my dad's parents.Sunday's were spent with them. They were an almost daily presence in my life.Whenever I needed my Pop-Pop he was there by just walking down the street,as were my uncles and aunts. We were all in close proximity. Living 4 hours away from my family when I raised my son was hard, especially after what I was use too.My only child son is use to not having grandparents around-they were family visited on holidays. Didn't think about the ramifications until I read these posts.I've got my work cut out for me don't I?

#51809 - 06/05/03 03:27 AM Re: Bonafide Grandma
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I too lived in real close proximity to my uncles, aunts, and grandparents.

But, after I grew up and moved away, we're all spread out over the country now.

My children haven't blessed me with grandchildren yet, but that's okay. They're not ready and I'm not ready yet, either. My oldest is only 22 and she's been married for 3 years. They still have a lot of growing up to do before they ever think about having kids.

But, as you said, it's going to be hard, because they live out west and I live on the east coast. Can I be an absentee grandma? I dunno.. I'm glad I don't have to decide now!

My other daughter lives here.. only about 15 minutes from me.. so that's better. :-) But, she's only 20, so she's no where near ready to have children. I may sound like an old fuddy-duddy, but, gee.. she's not even married yet!

Peace & Hugs.

#51810 - 06/05/03 04:07 AM Re: Bonafide Grandma
lionspaaw Offline

well i talk a good story -- about being able to let them go [Smile] we'll see how i feel in a few months when they actually drive off for Louisiana !

oh sure -- i know that they're only a 10-12 hr drive away -- but that's not going to be the same as them being right down the road, or calling me and asking me to watch grandbaby for an hour or two -- and the holidays --- [Eek!]

but -- like everything else that's tested me in life -- i'll work through this too [Smile] -- just hope you guys are prepared to put up with me while i do it [Razz]

#51811 - 06/08/03 08:43 PM Re: Bonafide Grandma
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
lionspaaw...we will be in the same boat. My son is moving 9 1/2 hours away. I can talk like I am ready for it, but we shall see what happens when the time comes....

We will have to communicate about all this when the time comes! [Wink]

#51812 - 06/09/03 03:17 AM Re: Bonafide Grandma
lionspaaw Offline

[Big Grin] i wonder if this is where "talk the talk", walk the walk" came from [Razz]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved