The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 149 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#51766 - 02/19/03 04:33 PM out of town shower
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
My sister is going to be a grand-mother!

My niece is having a baby and she lives out of town. We are planning a shower for her in our town and then a sister and another niece are heading south to deliver the goods.

Any idea on the best way to do gifts? They are flying so they can't take big items, or wrapped items.

We were thinking of having the people attending the shower pick something from a registry and give us a check. Then my sister and niece would purchase the stuff when they get there, wrap and give it to her. That sounds so impersonal for the people giving the gift though. "Yeah, just hand over the check!" Know what I mean?

Any ideas on how to make it more fun? We love giving showers and want to make it fun for the poeple attending!

#51767 - 02/19/03 06:15 PM Re: out of town shower
Micki Offline

Loc: Linthicum, MD
Did this one a few times myself! First time, had a huge cake, all the trimmings and told everyone to go to or visit online a baby store that had a place in the town where the mommie-to-be lived and get a picture of the gift they were going to give. We had the hostess open envelopes that contained the pic and the money for the gift and everyone could ooh and aah over it. Then we maiked the whole lot to the mommie-to-be.

Second time, we had the shower and collected cash or checks at the shower, then had the mommie-to-be let them know what she had gotten with it herself.

Third time, we had everyone bring their gift, and we had it UPS'd to the mommie-to-be in huge boxes.

Have lots of food and games and fun either way and everyone will be happy!!

#51768 - 02/20/03 01:37 AM Re: out of town shower
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
Micki seems to have this out of town shower thing down to a science [Smile]

Gift Certificates are always nice -- that way mommy and daddy can pick out exactly what they want -- colors, shapes, etc. -- or if it's to somewhere like Publix -- baby formula, diapers, etc. Registry is always good too -- and I like the picture idea. The only thing about UPS'ing everything is that the money you spend on that could buy them several more things for the baby [Smile]

I also agree with Micki that the most important thing for YOUR shower is that YOU have fun ;-)-- take lots of pictures with lots of smiles to send along too (I happen to know this particular mommy and I know she loves pictures) [Smile]

I wish you success and FUN with your shower [Smile]

#51769 - 02/20/03 02:54 PM Re: out of town shower
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
When my brother and his wife were expecting we had a huge shower and invited all of the aunts, cousins, friends et al. I brought a video camera and came to the front door and they all screamed surprise. The video camera became the surrogate for my sister in law. It was hilarious. We sent the tape and the gifts fed ex.

#51770 - 02/22/03 11:33 PM Re: out of town shower
nillawafer Offline

Loc: new orleans
big shhhhhh the mommy does not know the auntie and cousin are comig to her town for her shower!!

#51771 - 02/23/03 03:07 AM Re: out of town shower
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
No problem [Big Grin]

#51772 - 02/23/03 09:47 PM Re: out of town shower
Dotsie Offline
Founder

[Wink] no prob

#51773 - 03/05/03 02:46 PM Re: out of town shower
Dotsie Offline
Founder

We have decided to let people bring gifts and we are going to UPS them to Florida.

We are going to film the shower and someone is going to open the gifts.

The funniest thing we came up with is to tape everyone at the shower singing songs to the mother-to-be. We have written our own lyrics to some familiar baby songs and they are hysterical. We have included the father-to-be in the lyrics too. Some are for the aunties to sing...and others are just for the cousins. Should be fun. Any other thoughts or ideas? The shower is this Saturday.

#51774 - 03/07/03 06:42 PM Re: out of town shower
Dotsie Offline
Founder

dotsie make sure you keep all the bows to make her a hat at the end of the shower.see ya soon!!

#51775 - 03/09/03 02:06 PM Re: out of town shower
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Ladies, thanks for all of your comments. The shower was a blast.

Baby will receive lots of very cute clothes and much more. We played games, sang fun songs, ate way too much, laughed lots, and FILMED the madness. Gifts and all will be sent UPS this week (shower in a box)for the shower in Florida.
[Smile] [Razz] [Big Grin]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved