The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 192 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4981 - 12/11/05 09:33 PM Teenage Daughter's Clothes
ladybug Offline

My daughter is 18 years old. Would you believe that never once in those 18 years has she ever shopped for and bought her own clothes?

Friends can't believe that my daughter really likes everything I've purchased for her in her wardrobe. What's so difficult about knowing the right size and what a young girl will like? There are even times when she's sees something of mine and askes me why I didn't get her the same thing or one like it.

Kids at school are always asking her where she gets her clothes and she says she has to answer, "I'll have to ask my mom because I don't know." I've never had to return anything because she didn't like it. The only returns are when sizes aren't as they seem.

I think it's a real compliment to be in tune with what my daughter likes.

#4982 - 12/11/05 10:08 PM Re: Teenage Daughter's Clothes
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
I stopped trying to pick out clothes for my daughter when she was about 12, unless she was with me. She always dressed in what I considered appropriate taste, but that taste was and still is very different from mine.

That seems to be changing now that she's an adult and living in another state. During our vacation last summer, we discovered we had bought the same top, although in a different color, in a branch of the same store near each of us. I don't think that would have happened ten years ago.

#4983 - 12/11/05 10:17 PM Re: Teenage Daughter's Clothes
ladybug Offline

Jackie, it just goes to show you how much we really do influence our children's taste in many things.

#4984 - 12/12/05 02:38 AM Re: Teenage Daughter's Clothes
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Hubby and I was at the mall with the youngest daughter last night.

She hadn't seen any presents placed around the tree as yet, so I assume she wanted to make sure we remembered what she likes.
Her first store was Charlotte Rouse, she instantly pointed out the furry boots, her dad and I had purchased.
They have such cute things for young girls in there.

Next, store was Express....how many of you purchase jeans for $130.?
Scratch marks and holes in them, no kidding.
She is getting jeans, just not those.

Stopped by Hickory Farms and picked up a nice food basket for the next door neighbor's....decided to give the kid's Chatty's Popcorn Cake. Want to wrap with colored cellophane and add a ribbon so they look like ornaments.

Seemed like everyone in town was there yesterday, every parking spot taken.

Kid's were so cute...sitting upon Santa's lap.

#4985 - 12/12/05 03:12 AM Re: Teenage Daughter's Clothes
ladybug Offline

Never purchased jeans for $130.00 a pair. I got two gorgeous pairs for $40.00 each. One pair had flowers embroidered in shades of cream and brown in a satiny looking finish and the other had pink and burgundy beaded flowers down one side of the leg. Just beautiful. I got these at Kaufmann's and get a lot of beautiful clothes there for my daughter in the junior department.

#4986 - 12/12/05 07:20 AM Re: Teenage Daughter's Clothes
KAY B Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
My brother's girls were told they could pay for expensive items themselves....and it got old really fast!!!

I wouldn't pay $130 for anything for myself!!!

I saw a special on 20/20 I think...about how people think something is better because it costs more money. They slipped a cheapo sweater in the pile & people went to that one more than the expensive ones.

I grew up being the poor kid in a rich area....& I always had the knock offs......*I wear my K-Mart sneakers proudly now!! [Smile]

#4987 - 12/13/05 06:26 AM Re: Teenage Daughter's Clothes
ladybug Offline

My brother found it amazing that my two children never asked for name brand items like his two girls did.

I taught them that the two hundred dollar sneakers with the athletes endorsements were made side by side with the sixty dollar sneakers and were actually the same.

#4988 - 12/13/05 07:02 AM Re: Teenage Daughter's Clothes
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
My kids never asked for brand names because they knew we couldn't afford them. Heck, I can't afford them now, either. Besides, who needs $200 sneakers?

#4989 - 12/13/05 07:13 AM Re: Teenage Daughter's Clothes
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Just to set the record straight.... my daughter didn't ask for the jeans, she knows I wouldn't buy them.

It was funny, they had about 5 racks of jeans up front with a $20. save tag. So, I'm thinking $20. off...not bad until I looked at the $130. sticker.
Then I'm thinking to myself, who buys $130. jeans...for that price I'd be afraid to put them in the washer.

#4990 - 12/13/05 07:17 AM Re: Teenage Daughter's Clothes
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Do you spend more for your kid's clothes than you do for your own? I do. Can't figure out why, but I do.

I have already noticed that when my oldest son is spending his own money, he is much more frugal than when spending Mom and Dad's.

My problem is that this time of year I love to spoil everyone. Maybe it's because my parents spoiled us at Christmas.

[ December 12, 2005, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved