The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 173 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#47490 - 09/17/04 02:40 AM Re: don't any of us cook anymore?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
A side note here:

I was making dinner last night and cursing at the onion powder. Seems every time I buy some, it hardens quicker than super-glue and all I have is a pretty spice jar filled with onion-smelling cement. Visions of my post were already swirling in my head:

"If I ever buy onion powder again, EVER, can someone just come over here and kill me?"

I wuz gonna pour boiling water over it but I didn't want to crack the lovely little jar. Then I thought, Let's nuke it! Even if it explodes, I can pick out the onion powder from between the glass shards (shows ya just how desperate I was.) I zapped it for 30 seconds

...and it worked!! or at least, softened it enough so I could dig some out. So do the math girlfriends: I've been throwing out onion powder rocks for How many decades? and I've owned a nuke box for how many decades? and it's taken me how long to figure this out? This is probably an apt commentary on my cooking accumen.

If anyone has already called Guido & Co., please cancel the contract... [Razz]

#47491 - 09/17/04 03:50 AM Re: don't any of us cook anymore?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
My dearest Meredith Stewart (hahahah....teehee...)

You aren't by chance storing your spices ABOVE your stove, are ya? I've seen women who do this, or even their coffee. It causes the spices to hardened, and the coffee to go stale...

Just thought I might mention this, just in case.

Hugs,

JJ Childs...

#47492 - 09/17/04 07:39 AM Re: don't any of us cook anymore?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Spices (except for onion powder) are one of the few cooking things I know about. Directions always say "store in a cool dark place." So I do. In my dishwasher, which hasn't been used for dishes in 20 years.

#47493 - 09/17/04 05:54 PM Re: don't any of us cook anymore?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Meredith, a couple weekends ago I was making apple pies and my brown sugar was harder than a rock.

I put it inthe microwave and it became a little softer. There were still some rocks which I broke my masher on, but at least I didn't have to run to the store!

You also mentioned visions of your post swirling in your head. I do the same thing. Isn't that funny?

#47494 - 09/19/04 04:57 AM Re: don't any of us cook anymore?
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Depends upon what you mean by "cook"...

I do all the baking but it's usually in the winter when the heat from the oven can be appreciated. Last night we had a salad with cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts, garbanzo beans, olives, feta cheese, olive oil and herbs; rosemary & olive bread toasted & brushed with olive oil and then covered with brie and farmer's cheese.

I don't suppose that's exactly cooking but it was sure good and good for us!

I'm making a peach pie tomorrow and will probably get a loaf or two of homemade bread made. I've got chicken in the freezer and will stick that in the crock pot for supper. Chicken, that old tomatoe salad from last night and biscuits should make for a good supper tomorrow night. I actually don't care much for chicken but my MIL does so I fix it for her a few times a year.

Dave doesn't like crock pot food but I do so when I cook I will, a lot of times, use the crock pot. Dave likes to grill <UG. me man. me grill. me like fire.> He would *kill* me if he knew I'd written that! HAHAHAHAHA so I'm living dangerously!

For breakfast I'll fix oatmeal...btw, in Russia I had some kind of porridge every morning...LOVE those Russian breaksfasts! or some other kind of hot cereal <9 grain> or my homemade granola cereal or fresh baked muffins. A few years ago I won $200 from Betty Crocker for my 9 grain muffins; those are pretty good.

So...do we still cook. Yeah, I suppose I do. I like to eat though and if I eat junk I plump up like a whale but not as graceful.

I do like those Dove ice cream bars though but that's not junk food. It's health food because if I don't get at least a couple a week someone is gonna die.

And it ain't gonna be ME.

#47495 - 09/19/04 07:04 AM Re: don't any of us cook anymore?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
see? see? I'm not the only one who'd kill for their chocolate! I KNEW I liked you for some reason Ms Thistle!

Oh and pass the homemade bread pleaseeee...yum!

JJ

#47496 - 09/29/04 06:48 AM Re: don't any of us cook anymore?
DreamrKate Offline

Loc: California
I actually enjoy cooking. After my New York trip I came home and baked cupcakes for the people in my section of the newsroom, just to see if I could make them better than the ones at The Cupcake Cafe or the Magnolia Bakery......sure enough I could. My homemade cherry chip frosting was magnificent! Too bad I never write things down.

But while we were in Pennsylvania we had some really good home-cooking and I was inspired again to make my family food while they're all still at home....or maybe I just missed my family.

Kate

#47497 - 09/30/04 04:01 PM Re: don't any of us cook anymore?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
For some reason my onion powder has never gotten hard and I buy it in the super size bottle at Sams Club, I also buy onion chips, little pieces of onion (not like potato chips.) You might try putting the containers into a little sealable plastic bag. That should keep out any moisture. There is apparently enough undectable moisture in that dishwasher. Also ALWAYS enclose the brown sugar package in a plastic bag, sealed tight and it will stay soft from one Thanksgiving to another. Honest Injun!! [Wink]

#47498 - 10/05/04 05:32 PM Re: don't any of us cook anymore?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thistle, can I move in? Your food is making my mouth water!

Kate, want to share the cherry chip frosting? It sounds delish.

I made homemade applesauce with a friend last week. She taught me her technique. It's simple, and she uses no sweetener, just cinnamon. Yum!

This forum is making me hungry. [Eek!]

#47499 - 12/13/04 02:20 AM Re: don't any of us cook anymore?
Kristin Offline

Although I help in the kitchen, have learned some of my mom's recipes and got creative with my grandmother's meals I don't really cook. I bake cookies but even then I teamed up with a baker to write my book!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved