The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 173 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#47470 - 08/14/04 05:16 PM don't any of us cook anymore?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I find it funny that this forum is hardly being used. Are we saying that boomer women no longer cook? I do recall the queen wanted vending machines in her kitchen. What's going on ladies?

#47471 - 08/14/04 05:34 PM Re: don't any of us cook anymore?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Funny you should bring this up just today. I'm currently writing an article called, "Me, My Stove, and Eye." You see...my stove is possessed. There is something evil living beneath the "eyes" on my stove. Has to be cause everything I attempt to cook, gets burnt. I ain't kidding either.

JJ

#47472 - 08/15/04 12:58 AM Re: don't any of us cook anymore?
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I don't cook any more unless it's absolutely required, like maybe Thanksgiving or if the mood should hit me, which it hardly ever does anymore.

I've become very spoiled. [Smile]

#47473 - 08/15/04 01:27 AM Re: don't any of us cook anymore?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I don't want to asume anything but I think I am or was the resident Boomer Gourmet chef until recently. Even since my illiness I have been trying to make my meager meals as fancy and interssting as possible. I am finishing a ccokbook from before I was ill. I have posted many recipes in the recipe section which Dotsie used to serve her relatives and Smilinize has become addicted to my cheesy grape recipe. I have a million recipes to share. I love to cook and eat too....bad for the diet and diabetes unless you cook and eat wisely...not as muh fun but necessary. JJ want me to perform an exorcism of that nasty possessed stove of yours...?

#47474 - 08/15/04 02:30 AM Re: don't any of us cook anymore?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oh hon, could you? Like turn it into one of those big square vending machines? hmm? That would do it for me...just make sure it's got pimento cheese in it, and ahhh...what else...Oreo's. I could live on those two things.

JJ

#47475 - 08/16/04 06:50 AM Re: don't any of us cook anymore?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I will repeat this pearl of wisdom, only because there are a lot of new gals in here who haven't heard it yet:

My cooking is an acquired taste, and so far I seem to be the only person who's acquired it.

Early in our marriage, my husband said he didn't think I could cook. This coming from a man whose mother burnt EVERYTHING!! So I stopped cooking for him, and stocked our freezer with Nuke Cuisine.

Maybe once a week I'll cook something interesting. If he wants to eat it, he has to help chop veggies and wash dishes. If not, tough luck. If he complains about it, I tell him to eat Stouffers.

Most of the time, I don't prepare hardly anything. Breakfast is coffee, juice and bagel or bread, maybe farina in the winter. Lunch is either fresh fruit and nuts, dairy something or nuke quiche. Dinner is a humongo salad, pasta, tuna or Nukebox du Jour. Once a week broiled fish and whole grains, and twice a month tofu stir fry. Mainly I keep it simple so there's not many dishes to wash.

#47476 - 08/17/04 04:52 PM Re: don't any of us cook anymore?
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Help!!!! [Razz] Am I the only one who cooks every day? [Roll Eyes] I used to love cooking and spend time making different recipes, etc. But lately, I wish I could get a super break from the kitchen. It would be much easier for my diet too. [Big Grin]

#47477 - 08/17/04 05:51 PM Re: don't any of us cook anymore?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Songbird, I'm interested...are you cooking full meals everyday? Breakfast, lunch, and supper? Or just supper? Are you cooking for just two? or do you have children still at home? Refresh my memory and maybe we could all give suggestions. Real ones too, not the ones I would normally give like unplugging your stove and saying it's broken...you can buy two to three weeks with that one. No joke, you give details, and we boomers will put our heads together and see what's cooking...what's cooking? hahah...Lord...I should write humor! hahahah....ahem...

JJ

#47478 - 08/17/04 06:34 PM Re: don't any of us cook anymore?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Songbird, I cook almost every day too. We sit down to dinner almost every night. In the summer I don't use the oven as much, but I still prepare food on the stove or microwave. We eat lots of salads, chicken salad, tuna, tomatoes, corn on the cob, fruit salads, and grilled food. Gotta have the fresh foods while they're in season.

When the season changes I'll get back to using the oven. [Wink]

I love to cook, but rarely try new recipes. There was at time when I read recipe books and tried new dishes weekly. That's when the kids were little and I was home ALL the time. I also baked bread, cookies, and fruit breads. Now that my daughter makes the second diabetic in the family I've given up on most of that.

#47479 - 08/17/04 10:06 PM Re: don't any of us cook anymore?
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Jaw Jaw: You made my day! [Big Grin] Girl, you are toooo much! I've laughed so hard!

Dotsie: I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!

I used to bake desserts at least once a week. I spent hours looking for some new ways to prepare things, etc. I even tried writing down my recipes, in hopes of writing a cookbook. Man! I used to LOVE to cook, and enjoyed so much cooking for the crowd. (Being the oldest at home, I've been cooking daily since I was 10).Whenever the family (my siblings) gets together, guess who is the cook?

Now, with the kids grown, different schedules, and a husband that (I think that's what's wrong and I sure do hope it is that... [Confused] ) yearns for his salvadoran food... well, I don't feel like there's anything I can please him with, you know what I mean [Frown] ?

I just cook but don't enjoy it as much (the process). Now, I don't bother to go the extra mile as often. I have one kid who eats at home, another who rarely eats at home and a husband who eats but never seems content with whatever I prepare.During summer, I have a husband and two kids who eat regularly at home. Sometimes, the third one decides he'll have some.

Some days I cook breakfast, unless they want bagels, cereal, etc. Or I'll fix them a fresh fruit salad. I always have one kid coming home for lunch (during his summer job). My husband sometimes comes home for lunch. And I always cook dinner.

So you see? Lots of time in kitchen. Another problem is that my dear husband doesn't have a specific time to come. 6, 7, 10 pm, who knows?
And let me tell ya-if I've only had fruits, by then I'm gonna have to cheat [Eek!] and eat something else!!!!

Oh, and to make matters worse, there always has to be some icecream around [Roll Eyes] !!!

It's NOT FAIR [Mad] [Big Grin]

As for me, I can live on salad, fruit, raw veggies and cook only once in a while [Smile] .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved