The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#47271 - 04/28/03 03:33 PM salad recipes?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I am in the process of planning a party for my son that is graduating and would love a different idea for a salad. Any ideas that are out of the ordinary?

#47272 - 04/29/03 04:06 AM Re: salad recipes?
countrygirl51 Offline

Loc: Clifton, Ks. USA
Are you looking for a greens salad, or a fruit salad?

#47273 - 05/01/03 05:17 PM Re: salad recipes?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Greens!

#47274 - 05/02/03 12:27 AM Re: salad recipes?
countrygirl51 Offline

Loc: Clifton, Ks. USA
Elaine's Broccoli Salad
1 c. golden raisins
1 c. sunflower seeds
1 med. onion, cut fine
1 lb. or less bacon, browned, broken into pieces
2 bunches broccoli
1 sm. head cauliflower
1 c. sugar
1 T. vinegar
1 c. light mayonnaise

Cut broccoli and cauliflower into bite-size pieces. Add raisins, sunflower seeds, onion and bacon. Add the dressing of sugar, vinegar and mayonnaise.

Or,

Kansas Cucumber Salad
1 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. sugar
4 t. vinegar
1/2 t. dill weed
1/2 t. salt (opt.)
4 med. cucumbers, peeled, thinly sliced
3 green onions, finely chopped

In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, dill and salt; mix well. Add cucumbers and onions; toss. Cover and chill at least 1 hour. Yield: 8 servings.

I collect cookbooks, so have an endless supply of salad recipes. Let me know if you need more.

#47275 - 05/02/03 04:42 PM Re: salad recipes?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Thanks! I have a very similar recipe for the broccoli, but it doesn't have sunflower seeds and raisins. Sounds good!

I have always wanted that cucumber recipe and never had it. I think it is a very old recipe that my grand-mother use to make. Now that it has been put in my lap, perhaps I will give it a try. Thanks! [Big Grin]

#47276 - 05/03/03 02:35 PM Re: salad recipes?
Micki Offline

Loc: Linthicum, MD
Pickled Cukes

Peel and slice cukes into flat slices. Peel and slice Vidalia (or other similar "sweet" ones) onions likewise. Cut the slices in half and then separate the onions into "fingers". Layer the onions and the cukes alternately into a large bowl. Mix together vinegar and water to taste (we usually use all vinegar--but we ARE German and love sour stuff!!) and add sugar or artificial sweetener (again--to taste!), plus salt and pepper if desired (I use only pepper and Dad NEVER uses the salt or the sweetener in his!!)to your taste. Marinate the "salad" in the fridge for at least 24 hours and serve.

I keep this in my fridge all summer long and just add the veggies as we get low.

#47277 - 05/03/03 02:41 PM Re: salad recipes?
Micki Offline

Spinach Stuff

Clean and wash fresh spinach. Drain very well. In a wok or large frying pan, heat your favorite oil to very hot, then add a handful of fresh, cleaned and separated garlic cloves and sear to caramelized state. Set aside. Toss the spinach in the oil by the double handful and barely cook, just wilt it a bit. Put the greens and the caramelized garlic in a large bowl and toss with your favorite dressing (I use a raspberry vinegrette or a balsamic vinegar.). YUMM!!!!!!!

#47278 - 05/03/03 02:51 PM Re: salad recipes?
Micki Offline

Micki's Mortons' Beef and Bleu

Buy the BEST tomatoes you can (We use our own home-grown in the summer, and go to the Costco or the Whole Foods Market in the winter to get them so they aren't cardboard!!It doesn't matter whether they are large or small, you just cut them up differently to make a pretty platter, but the large flat slices "fanned" look wonderful on the buffet!!) Arrange them on a large flat platter and then GENEROUSLY top with a good crumbled bleu cheese. Pour a good bleu cheese dressing over just before serving, and garnish with some fresh parsley.

We also add sliced onions (Vidalias when we can get them.) between the sliced tomatoes (like stairsteps) when we can get decent large tomatoes. Also, we have just tossed cherry or cocktail tomatoes with the cheese and dressing before, but it's not as nice a display as the large platter.

This is WONDERFUL!!!!!

They serve the original version at Mortons' Of Chicago and that's where we had it. I "stole" the recipe and added onions (We LOVE them!!). If I am feeling really frisky, I make my own bleu cheese dressing, but I usually use the jarred one that is available at Giant in the fresh veggie department, or the one that Whole Foods sells.

#47279 - 05/06/03 05:40 PM Re: salad recipes?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Micki, sounds great! I do the tomatoes and onions with feta cheese. mmmm, if you want a switch.

I am going to try the tomatoes and bleu cheese.

My son is going to Clemson next year and they make their own bleu cheese dressing. When my husband and son visited they brought some home and everyone('cept me) loved it. I have a feeling it will become a staple at our house.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved