The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 102 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#47229 - 11/13/02 10:52 PM Baltimore Sauerkraut
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Here is my version of the sauerkraut we serve with our Thankgiving dinner here in good old Baltimore.

2 bags of sauerkraut...yes, bags, you buy them in the refrigerated section
1 small package of boneless ribs
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 apples skinned and cut up
1 cup water
2 cups white wine
2 Tablespoons caraway seeds
2 Tablespoons brown sugar

Mix in large pot and simmer from morning until the turkey bird is ready. When the sauerkraut is finished cooking the apples should be very soft and mushy, and the pork should be broken into teeny pieces.

This may not sound too great if you aren't from Baltimore, but it is such a tradition in B-town that whenever I smell sauerkraut I can't help but think of Thanksgiving day...HON! To those women in Wisconsin...you know you are dying to have this recipe...HA!

#47230 - 11/13/02 11:19 PM Re: Baltimore Sauerkraut
gardenbloomer Offline

Loc: Madison, Wi
Thank you, thank you, I just may try it this Thanksgiving.

#47231 - 11/21/02 02:02 PM Re: Baltimore Sauerkraut
Micki Offline

Loc: Linthicum, MD
I never knew how much of a Baltimore "thang" this was until I grew up. We had sauerkraut (of course, my father's side is German and Dutch, so we had that and sour beef and knockwurst, etc. all the time, anyway!)every hoiday (Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, etc.) with turkey or pork. I don't doctor it up so much--just add some meat (pork ribs for Easter, turkey necks and wings for the turkey days) and cook for a LONG time. We like it as sour as we can get it, so apples and wine would make it kind of sweet. My Polish relatives add caraway and rye seed instead of anything else, and onion. Wow--can;t wait until next week, even though I won;t be able to eat much!! I have learned about quality instead of quantity!!

#47232 - 11/23/02 05:13 AM Re: Baltimore Sauerkraut
nillawafer Offline

Loc: new orleans
i will never forget the first thanksgivng i shared with my husband's family in north carolina way south of the mason dixon line. (you know the rebels believe the line is above pennsylvania!) i was termed that day the damned yankee of the family for sure when i walked through the door with the saurkraut as my "offering" for thanksgiving. i never realised how truly northern a thing it is for saurkraut at thanksgiving until that very day!!!

#47233 - 11/24/02 04:01 PM Re: Baltimore Sauerkraut
Micki Offline

Loc: Linthicum, MD
My favorite stories about the holidays (and we have the same exact menu for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter, except Easter is fresh ham and not turkey) revolve around the differences in the different areas and sometimes families. My family has always had the meat, dressing, gravy, mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, sauerkraut, Waldorf salad, butter beans, cranberry sauce (the gelled kind) and rolls, with pumpkin pie and homemade whipped cream for dessert. When I was newly married, I went to my very first holiday dinner at my new MIL's house and she served: turkey, baked potatoes, peas, salad and chocolate cake and ice cream. I was mortified! Them when my brother got married and was living with his first wife in California, he called on Thanksgiving and told us that he was sitting down to his T-Day dinner of chicken enchiladas! We were just totally amazed!!! Anyway, this Thursday we will all be having our regular T-Day dinner except for the cranberry jelly--I will be making the Knockout!!

#47234 - 11/25/02 04:13 AM Re: Baltimore Sauerkraut
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I too am making the KNOCKOUT! Got the ingredients yesterday. Will let you know how it turns out...and thanks for sharing. I had planned to make your mom's health salad, or fruit salad...whatever it was called, but this sounds perfect for Thanksgiving!

#47235 - 11/26/03 06:29 PM Re: Baltimore Sauerkraut
Dotsie Offline
Founder

This is for Lynn. As you can see from the dates of this post, it's from last year.

I made the knock-out last year and am making it again this year. It was a hit!

Lynn, hope you like this crazy Baltimore recipe...and don't anyone laugh about the fact that we eat sauerkraut with our turkey. [Eek!]

#47236 - 11/26/03 07:02 PM Re: Baltimore Sauerkraut
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
sounds yummy to me Dots...now what about this health salad you are making. Can you share that one with us?

#47237 - 11/26/03 07:03 PM Re: Baltimore Sauerkraut
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
sounds yummy to me Dots...now what about this health salad you are making. Can you share that one with us? [Smile]

#47238 - 11/27/03 05:05 PM Re: Baltimore Sauerkraut
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Our house smells like Thanksgiving. Sauerkraut makes that easy!

Turkey's in the oven. [Big Grin]

How 'bout y'all?

JJ, the healthy salad must be the cranberry knock-out. That recipe is also in this forum. Simple and delish!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved