The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 170 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#44696 - 04/20/06 03:54 AM Re: April Contest
europa Offline

Loc: Europe
Hello Dotsie,
I don't know if this would be suitable for your 'contest'...it's an extract from my journal of my last move to Italy....

europa.

LOOKING BACK ON HOW LIFE IN ITALY BEGAN (THIS TIME ROUND)
Well I’ve finally moved into my own house, so no more ‘care of’ addresses. I actually got my Residency in my new village granted in May. But having moved in and falling over boxes that I hadn’t allowed the removal people to unpack, I have still had to live with the builders, carpenter, electrician, plumber, tilers and painters as they gradually completed their work.

None of them have any compunction here in taking on all the work they can get their hands on - and then juggling their teams around to do a bit at a time for everyone. I got used to (and fed up with) them disappearing for 10 days or so at a time. But found the way to get them back was by ‘locking my knees’ and jumping up and down while cursing at them in the Milanese dialect – it worked every time! Didn’t stop ‘em disappearing again mind you, but it did get ‘em back for a while.

Well the house is just about complete inside. There are still countless boxes to be emptied, and that in itself is exciting…. it’s like Christmas every time I open a box. I‘m finding things I'd forgotten I had.

And talking about forgetting…. I’m getting ever so good at that - I’m not much good any more at remembering things, but the ‘forgettery’ is absolutely great, I could win prizes for my 'forgettery'!

The removal company, when they packed up, followed Sergio’s (my son) instructions to the letter. He had asked me what to pack? (as if I cared when I’d only just got out of hospital) - I told him ‘everything’. Well, this will make you laugh - one smallish box felt very light, and no wonder, it was full of used plastic shopping bags (LOL) – and they weren't even 'crammed in'....I ask you!
I have had to leave some of the unpacking work for the time being as I have to be careful not to overdo it. It has been so very hot here (even in the mountains) just recently. It touched 39°C for nearly a week (one day it was 42°C down in Milano), with upwards of 60% humidity and approx 29°C at 6 am (not funny). I spoke to my cardiologist about the heat and he warned me that I should do nothing when it is that hot.

I rented my nieces little holiday home (in the next village) from January until I moved into my place. That saved me the trouble of driving up and down from Milan (60miles each way) two or three times every week to check on the house progress. Thank goodness I did, as the weather here was very cold and the roads were like skating rinks. A couple of times with the snow and ice the temperature dropped to 27°C BELOW freezing. The contrast with the weather this year has even surprised the locals….all they talk about is the ‘greenhouse effect’. What can one say – Perhaps they’re right. But I’m not a scientist so I don’t get involved in the local discussions on the matter!
And 'no matter what' - I still LOVE LIVING HERE!!!!

#44697 - 04/20/06 08:51 PM Re: April Contest
Tami Offline

Loc: Kansas
Chatty - I never thought of that! Makes me ponder how strange it is to remember it the way I did. Just goes to show how we tend to remember things in the moment that it happened, the eyes of a 17 year old. I'll definitely file your input into this memory. It's less uncomfortable to think he might have been doing it for my benefit rather than his. Thanks!

Tami

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved