The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#43697 - 01/20/04 06:15 AM cat head biscuits
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
okey dokey...try these...2 cups flour (Hudson Cream makes wonderful biscuits...cut in about 1/3 cup shortening (I like Crisco butter flavored). When pea size chunks, pour in enough buttermilk (with the fat left in, thank you very much!) and mix all that together *until* it just holds together and can be patted out in about a 6 or 8 inch circle. pat it out (don't dirty a rolling pin), cut with a number 10 can (more or less) and you should get about 5 or 6 biscuits. take the scraps and sort of meld them together into a biscuit shape and stick 'em all in a greased (oh excuse me...an OILED) pan. for extra oomph I'll brush the tops with butter (don't bother to melt it was the oven will work with you there), bake at 450 or thereabouts until they are done. that's maybe 20, 25 minutes...I don't really know because my stove is an original 1914 Acorn and I work with it <g> to get it to bake. my oven temps are "approximate" <g>.

now, when they come out of the oven, have ready a bit of heated sorghum molasses in a pan. take a pinch of baking soda and throw into the pan and start whipping up that mess immediately! it will foam like crazy and turn a caramel brown. split and butter (yes, I said butter!) a biscuit or three and then pour some 'lasses over top.

tell folks to leave you alone for the next part as you're having a divine experience!

EAT.

#43698 - 01/21/04 04:34 PM Re: cat head biscuits
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I guess I'm not a country girl. I don't think I've ever bought buttermilk. [Eek!]

Thistle, what is a #10 can?

Help! [Razz]

The only buscuits I've ever made are made with Bisquick...and I thought those were good. I will try these. Especially this time of year!

#43699 - 01/21/04 06:44 PM Re: cat head biscuits
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
not only that, she ain't Southern if she had to ask what a #10 can was...teheehehe

#43700 - 01/21/04 07:38 PM Re: cat head biscuits

My. My my my. My oh my oh my. Well...my. I see. Hmmmmm. Oh my. (sniff) Bisquick. Oh my. Yes, I've heard of Bisquick. Good biscuits, you say? Well...maybe. That is to say, if you've never had biscuits, I'm sure Bisquick will do. (BTW, I'm assuming you made your own "Bisquick", eh? Surely you can't mean that stuff from the store?!!)

Never bought buttermilk? First of all, do NOT buy that "stuff" they sell that hasn't any fat in it! That's not buttermilk; that's blue john with an attitude.

A #10 can is the smaller size that originally contained beans or corn and sold to households but not sold to cafeteria type restaurants.

Lord, honey. We may have lost the war but we're still eatin' good.

Sandra (rolling on the floor laughing at myself and hope I've got company! gggggg)

#43701 - 01/21/04 10:06 PM Re: cat head biscuits
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
The cathead biscuits remind me of my old maid aunt who died about 3 weeks ago. She lived with my granny whose house was a converted Indian fort. It was made of hand hewn logs and had wood stoves and kerosene lamps. (Granny didn't have electricity or gas until the mid seventies when she got a new "Indian house.")

My sister and I stayed with our granny a lot when we were small. Aunt Beaut (Beaulah) cooked for us and the field hands if we had any. Every morning she got up and stoked the fire in the cook stove then she got a big stoneware bowl and filled it almost to the top with flour. She added some milk (maybe butter milk, I'm not sure. It came from a cow for sure though) in the middle then she added salt and baking powder and started pulling the flour into the mixture. Somewhere along the way she would add some bacon grease and eventually she would put the mixture on a board and cut out biscuits which she then baked in the wood stove's oven.

She would cook up a bunch of eggs and bacon or sausage and gravy and sometimes oatmeal on the top of the stove and that was breakfast. Mmmmmm. Of course as soon as she was finished with that she heated water for the clean up and got started on lunch.

Thanks for reminding me of that. I had biscuits (from a can), eggs, sausage, and hashbrowns for breakfast. Yummmm.

smile

I hardly ever tell anyone about my grandparents because I figure they'd think I'm either very old or lying. Thistle Cove farm sounds a lot like Granny's place only more modern.

#43702 - 01/22/04 04:40 AM Re: cat head biscuits
mrsmuzz Offline

Loc: Orange, Texas
This receipe reminded me of a funny incident. I was born and raised in Texas by my Granny Vi. She was a super cook. Unfortunately, as many of her era she never used recipes and never wrote anything down. I spent my childhood watching her make what she called "cream gravy" for the unintiated, that is gravy made with flour and milk. (whole milk honey, not that 1 or 2% stuff.) We had this delicacy at least once a day at breakfast and/or dinner. So, when I was a young married I decided to make "cream gravy" for my hubby one night. I had already fried up the chicken fried steak and the "cracklins" were still in the pan. At this point, my memory failed. I could not remember if it was more milk than flour or more flour than milk. I could picture Granny pulling the cold milk out of the icebox and pouring it up to the rim of one of our ice tea glasses. Musta been somewhere around 12 ounces or so. But, for the life of me I could not picture her with the flour tin! How much darn flour? I tried to call her, but this was in the days when someone was on the phone you got a busy signal. With my wonderful chicken fried steaks getting cold and my hubby getting hungry, I decided to plunge ahead. I poured up the glass of milk and stared at the flour, oh what the heck I poured in a full cup of flour and began valiantly stirring. I then added the milk. That mess was so thick you could stand a spoon in it! I had no idea what to do and when my hubby got a look at it, we had a good laugh at my "puddin gravy!" When I finally got Granny on the phone she had a good laugh too, she said that a cup of flour was a good idea if I planned to feed the army! By the way, about a tablespoon of flour would have been just about right for 12 ounces of sweet milk!

Thanks for reminding me.

#43703 - 01/22/04 04:41 AM Re: cat head biscuits

Hi Smile - yeah, I think Granny would fit here. My Aunt Bonnie lived in an old farmhouse in West VA and she had a wood cook stove. Right beside the wood cook stove was an electric store and beside that was a microwave. I can remember times when all three would be going strong. It's God's own wonder the wires weren't overloaded. When I would stay with her in the wintertime, I'd sleep on the sofa in the front room. If it was early winter, she would only have the kerosene burner going. The first time I slept on the sofa with the kerosene burner going, I thought...well, I'll wake up dead in the morning. Fumes will do me in. Then I started watching the curtains blow in the breeze and that's when I knew I wouldn't die...not from fumes anyway. There was too much breeze for the fumes to stay long <g>.

I'm 50 and the first school I attended (unofficially as I was only 4 or 5) was a one room school house in WV. It had the pot belly stove and grades 1 through 6 all in the same one room. Each row was a grade and the older children helped the younger children. I was allowed to go because the girl living next door to my Aunt Esther was a couple of years older and she took me for show and tell <g>.

You know...I keep telling my mil that when she's gone so are her stories if she doesn't write them down now. I'm beginning to think the same might be true for me.

#43704 - 01/22/04 05:45 AM Re: cat head biscuits

I like the puddin' gravy story. You all ever had chocolate gravy? That's an old Appalachian staple.

'Smokehouse Ham, Spoon Bread and Scuppernong Wine' is the title of a fabulous book written by our friend Joe Dabney. It is *THE* definitive tome on the people, culture, food of Southern Appalachia. Joe is the only non-cookbook author to ever win the James Beard Award of Excellence.
GREAT book!

#43705 - 01/22/04 07:27 AM Re: cat head biscuits
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
My husband loves to make chocolate gravy and we eat it with drop biscuits. Yummmmm.

smile

#43706 - 01/22/04 07:34 PM Re: cat head biscuits
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Chocolate gravy? [Razz] Now we're talking! [Razz]

I feel so out of the loop here ladies, and my mom cooked dinner for seven, every night of the week when I was growing up.

I love hearing these stories. They're dear! [Big Grin]

#43708 - 02/23/04 11:22 PM Re: cat head biscuits

Another reason to keep blackstrap molasses on hand...one of my ewes had twins Thursday morning and by Saturday she was down. She might have ketosis. I've been giving her a shot of penicillin and a shot of complex Vitamin B morning and night. I also started her on a drench of molasses this morning. This afternoon I gave her a drench of Karo syrup. Lambs are doing okay...boy is great, girl is listless. I might end up losing mother and daughter but it won't be for lack of trying. That and prayer.

See, a Southern kitchen is a "good thing" <g>.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved