The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 148 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#4298 - 02/23/05 08:02 AM tell us about your children
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I'm interested in hearing who has children living at home, away at school, married, married with kids, etc.

I'll start. I have a 19 year old son who is away at college. I also have another son (16) and a daughter (17) who are both juniors in high school. They are ten months apart. Our first two children are adopted. I got pregnant while waiting for our daughter to arrive from Korea. [Big Grin]

How about you?

#4300 - 02/22/05 10:50 PM Re: tell us about your children
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Congratulations Speakermom your children are talented like their mom.
Ou son is 23 too and going to the Community College here. He has worked at a Camp since he was 16, been a volunteer fireman since he was 17 and is now lifeguarding at the Y. He is considering other options for next year which may take him away from home.
Maggie

#4301 - 02/22/05 11:52 PM Re: tell us about your children
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Four children.

Chad, real estate and land development. Three beaufitul children and a wonderful wife. Live in AZ

Leisa, back in college and was named Biology Student of the Year (brag). Great husband and three beautiful children.

Brandilyn, Hollywood trained make up artist, 34 and never been married.

Derek, works for Miller Beer, just got engaged and lives in AZ.

#4302 - 02/23/05 01:30 AM Re: tell us about your children
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I have one son. His name is Rain. [Big Grin] He's 7 1/2 years old. He l-o-v-e-s- cars!! He learned to drive when he was 4 years old. (Don't ask) [Mad] We start homeschooling in September. We are jazzed! Can't wait! He's a great kid. Too bad about his mom, though...(I am TOO OLD for this!) (am too, am too, am too!) [Eek!]

#4303 - 02/23/05 02:00 AM Re: tell us about your children
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I have three kids. All grown up and living on their own. My oldest daughter is going to be 24 this year. She's married, no children yet. My second daughter is going to be 22 this year. She's engaged and thinking about a December wedding. My son is going to be 20 this year. He's studying to pass his EMT and is planning on becoming a firefighter. They are the very best thing my ex husband ever gave me besides a divorce.

#4304 - 02/23/05 02:58 AM Re: tell us about your children
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Vicki,

I can second that emotion. Steve and I have 5 kids between us. No one could ever by looking at our family guess whose kid was whose!

Oldest: Rob 35 yrs old, landscape contractor in Alabama. Wife and 4 sons

Next: Brian 34 years old, Captain in the Army, currently serving in Germany with wife and son and daughter.

Next: Craig 31 years old, Navy man and currently serving in San Diego with wife and two daughters.

Next: Heather, 27 years old. Mother of 3, 2 girls and one boy. Currently divorced and living in my home town, dating ex-husband.

Last but not least: Josh, 21 years old, currently serving in the Army Reserves, going to college, working full time, and has a SO and a 3 month old son. He lives about an hour from here.

That's it! Full house huh?

I love them all and would do anything for any one of them, and probably have!!

#4305 - 02/23/05 05:16 AM Re: tell us about your children
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I have 2 sons David is 43, married to Wendy and the have 3 children. Jared is 21 and Christy is 20. They are Davids step-children and then they have Jason who's their child together and he is 14. They live here in Vegas in a new lovely home and David works for a large Upholstery firm........Then there is Mark he is 38 and married to a beautiful girl name Cherise, I think!! He and I had a falling out 10 years ago and I haven't seen or heard from them since, so I have no current information....

#4306 - 02/23/05 05:34 AM Re: tell us about your children
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Falling out? So many families have those and they are so sad and useless. I feel for you, Chatty. Have my own falling out with a stepson but do not miss him. I'm sure he misses how I loved and spoiled him or...maybe not.

#4307 - 02/23/05 05:50 AM Re: tell us about your children
WizardofZA Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
We have two daughters. Our oldest is 30, single (and looking...hahaha), and lives in her own home about 5 miles from us. She is a reporter for the Arizona Republic daily newspaper (Phoenix metro), and covers City Hall, the Mayor and various related issues important to city development.

Our younger daughter is about to turn 27, and has been married a little over a year to a special agent for the FBI. She lives in Alexandria, Va., and is the press secretary to a US Congressman from Tucson, AZ.

My son-in-law is about to turn 30, graduated from Notre Dame, earned his CPA, then decided after 9/11 to enter the FBI. He graduated first in his training class at the academy and he works in a counter-terrorism unit.

They are all three great young adults (I consider my son-in-law my 3rd kid); I am very proud of all of them and lucky they belong to me!

#4308 - 02/23/05 09:08 AM Re: tell us about your children
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I have two all grown and on their own. My daughter, Gina, is 35, married. She and her husband live a few miles from us. They have a big home and a cat. No grandchildren yet, but maybe soon. She's an RN, and a nurse manager. We work together and shop together. She proofs a lot of my writing.

My son, Ralph is 33. He's a carpenter, runs his own business. He now owns the house he grew up in - bought it from his mom a few years ago. Not yet married. Likes to travel and ride his motorcycle.

I have 3 stepchildren. Michelle is 33. She went to school with my son. Scott, is 26, a banker, like his dad. He and his wife, Brenda, are expecting a baby in July. This will be the first grandchild event for us.

Kevin is the youngest. I think he just turned 24. Had a birthday this month. He's single, works for UPS.

They are all good kids and all live near us.

Louisa

#4309 - 02/24/05 08:28 AM Re: tell us about your children
angelsmuse Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Hi All,
I have 4 children. The oldest Scott is 25. When he is not on the road traveling with the children's show he is acting in he lives in New York City. Right now he is on the road and when he returns in May he is going to start looking for some commercial work.

Nicholas is number 2 at 23 years old. He is currently a senior at Clarion University. He is majoring in English and wants to be a writer. In the fall he is hoping to start working on his Masters at Chatham University. He will be a little closer to home so he can better look at my work for me.

Katie is number 3 at almost 21 years old. She is going to restart Cosmetology school in the next two months. She has one child and no husband. My granddaughter is a beautiful little girl just like her mother and one of the many lights of my life. The two of them moved out at the beginning of January but are only seven miles away. Katie and I talk everyday and spend a lot of time together. She is one of my best friends when I don't have to be the mother.

Finally my fourt child is Anastasia. She is almost 4 years old and my twin. She looks just like me. It is very challenging trying to raise her after having already just about finished the job. She is my gift from God though. I don't know what my life would be like without her.

I have no daughter or son in laws yet but am holding out hope that I will someday and as I already mentioned have one beautiful granddaughter.

They are all wonderful people in their own ways and give me joy in their own unique styles.

If they could just quit cleaning out my bank account I would be truly happy.( [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] ) NOt really but it would be nice not to get the Mom I need money phone calls.

Angel(chris)

#4310 - 02/23/05 09:16 PM Re: tell us about your children
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Angel, I had a cute little picture that I hung by my daughter's telephone that said:

ASK NOT WHAT YOUR MOTHER CAN DO FOR YOU BUT WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR MOTHER.

#4311 - 03/02/05 11:41 AM Re: tell us about your children
chichii Offline

Loc: Grande Prairie
Hello
I have two children. Ellen who is 25 not married and gave me a beautiful little granddaughter last july which she named Crimson. My daughter worked for Veterinary Hospital before her little girl arrived. Crimson's daddy is 42 named Kevin. He is a nice person, great with kids but only started to grow up when he became a daddy for the first time. Now he is looking for a real job with benefits so he can support my daughter and the baby. Before then it seemed that Ellen was the main bread winner.
My son Paul is 23 married to his wife Sarah who is 20 and they haave a beautiful 2 year old boy Cameron. My son is a wireline operator in the oil patch. Don't ask what a wireline operator he has explained it, but it still hard to understand, especially with the terminology used to explain what he does.
I have also two step-children Steve who is 32 was married and has a little girl Bridget who is 4. When the marriage went sour or he decided he didnt want the responsibilties that go with marriage and fatherhood he skipped out on his family and will not acknowledge his little girl or pay child support.
Nathalie is 30 has had the same boyfriend for 10 years and works in the deli department of a large grocery store. She has no children, and is not interested in having any. My step-children do not get along with their father, so we rarely hear from them if at all. Which suites me fine as they were manipulating, self-centred little con artists growing up.

#4312 - 03/03/05 09:14 PM Re: tell us about your children
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Thanks everyone for chiming in. Doesn't it help to put more information together about all of us?

#4313 - 03/04/05 01:24 AM Re: tell us about your children
mrsmuzz Offline

Loc: Orange, Texas
We have two boys. Both are living away from home at this point. I never say anything too permanent about that, because they have both been away and back once each! Michael is the oldest, he will be 26 in April. He is a Petty Officer in the US Navy, stationed at Corpus Christi, Texas. He is married to Ashley and they have a sweet baby girl (looks just like granmom!) she is 18 months old and I am going there for my Spring Break! Just slightly excited, can you tell? My younger son is Eric. He was 22 in October. He lives in Temple, Texas and is not married. He works full time and recently purchased a mobile home with his own credit and resources. He is doing well for my "late-bloomer". Eric is ADHD and still experiences some difficulties with the disorder. All-in-all he is coping and taking care of himself. And folks, sometimes that is about all I ask of anyone!!

#4314 - 03/04/05 10:25 PM Re: tell us about your children
Dotsie Offline
Founder

mm, you mean you're going to visit your son for spring break. You're passing up Lauderdale for that? HA. So would I! My how the times have changed.

#4315 - 03/08/05 04:49 AM Re: tell us about your children
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
I have a step daughter who is 33 and living in Key West, Florida and an adopted son who is 6 and the joy of my life. Motherhood at this stage is a challenge but I am much better at it the 2nd time around.

Lynn

#4316 - 03/10/05 09:49 PM Re: tell us about your children
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Lynn, I'd love to see your son. I'm sure his little face would bring back memories of when my oldest was little. Don't you love the dark eyes and hair.

Are you sure your stepdaughter is 33. She's older than you, isn't she? [Big Grin] HA! We wish.

#4317 - 03/12/05 06:06 PM Re: tell us about your children
Sammie Offline

Loc: Elkton, Maryland
I have a son and three daughters.

1) - Joe (34) has: Zane (9), Jossie (5), & Graham (4).
2) - Krissy (33) has: Megan (13), Benjamin (6), & Kaylin (5)
3) - Karen (32) has: Anthony (14), Michael (9), and Nicholas (4)
4) - Kim (31) has: Brooke (9).

My husband has 4 daughters.

1) - Marchelle (35) has: Jessica (14), Megan (6).
2) - Tracey (32) has: Samantha (12)
3) - Lindsay (23) has: Ethan (8), Charlie (6), and Maranda (1).
4) - Kimberly (21) has: Taylor (3), & Olivia (6 months).

I'll save you the trouble of counting. 16 adult children (counting their spouses) and 18 grandchildren. How would you like to have our birthday and Christmas list?

#4318 - 03/17/05 01:45 AM Re: tell us about your children
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Sammie, it sounds like fun to me. You are blessed! Do they all llive in town?

I am Irish Catholic. I am one of five. My mom was one of nine, and dad was one of five. BIG family. Lots going on. I love it.

#4319 - 04/16/05 11:53 AM Re: tell us about your children
newwriter Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV (for now)
Found this topic and couldn't resist...

I have three:

The eldest is Stephanie, who will be 31 in July. She has a little boy, Ian, who will be 2 on April 28, whose father is a worthless piece of ----. They moved into a beautiful house right before Christmas (not this past one, the one before) and then he decided he didn't love her and basically told her to leave. She and Ian went back to her house two days before Christmas... Now Daddy has another girlfriend, who---Guess What---is pregnant. What a Bum!!!

My middle one is Robb. He just turned 28 in March. He has two little girls, Anna and Allison, 10 and 8. He is my 'problem' child; residual anger problems from his father's and my divorce when he was three, alcoholism (sober for over two years now, Thank GOD!), been in jail, etc. He is slowly straightening out his life and has a decent job and his own apartment. I so hope he stays away from women who are not good for him...

Chris, my youngest, is 26. He has a girlfriend who has children. Chris is probably the child who gave me the least amount of stress...

Their father and stepmother basically raised them, until Stephanie and Robb came back to live with me as bitter teenagers. Dad had control of all the money and the house, which is why they stayed with him so long. I had nothing and no means to fight him---and he was the one who had been out cheating on me since I was pregnant with Robb. Sometimes life is just not fair...

Like Smilinize, I have been married several times and like Dianne (I think) this is the last one. NO MORE FOR ME. I'll live with animals or a roommate if I something happens to this one and I need company...LOL!

Enough of this...hey, I should writ a book...hmmmm

#4320 - 04/20/05 07:34 AM Re: tell us about your children
DallasGal Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
What mom doesn't like to talk about her children? What a great topic!

My kid's are:

Kaile (our oldest, my husband's firstborn, mine through marriage) - she is 18 and getting ready to attend a small Christian college in Indiana, which is interesting since I have never seen her in anything but flipflops which she'll either trade for "real" shoes, or else will look mighty strange in the northern states close to the biting winds coming off Lake Michigan. She is going to Major in Biology and Minoring in Spanish. She says she wants to be a Cardiologist, my husband and I think she has the "heart of a teacher" - will keep you posted.

Kayleigh (my firstborn, our middle child, my husband's through marriage) - is 6 and yes both of our girls are "Kaylee", nicknamed Big K and Little K. Kayleigh is probably the most strong-willed child I have ever met, but is just one of those kids that you know God has awesome things in store for - if she will learn to listen. Kayleigh has the heart of a giver and has lots of compassion, just hasn't quite developed "empathy" yet. =0) She is getting ready to graduate Kindergarten "with honors".

Andrew (my firstborn son, ours through biology and a fun marriage and honeymoon, and the baby of our family), is almost 2. He is our family clown and athlete. He is always doing SOMETHING to make momma alternate between laughing and fearing that he will break something. God is preparing my heart for him to be an adventurer, doing what I have no clue and honestly, am afraid to ask for more knowledge/wisdom and have decided the best thing for me is to just grow as a mom into "letting go" and to expect a liftime of "postcards from Andrew" from all over the world.

Every single one of my children are such a blessing to me and inspire me on a daily basis. Some days I symphatize with Why a Hamster Momma does indeed eat its young...but kids are awesome gifts!

"This child that I prayed for, you gave to me."

#4321 - 04/22/05 06:57 PM Re: tell us about your children
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Dallas, I love how you consider God's work in the lives of your children. We are better off when we know He is their father first! Then we enter the picture.

Our first two are adopted and our third is a birth child. All their names mean a gift from God.

Are you doing anything differently with your 2 anf 6 year olds than you did with your older one?

[ April 22, 2005, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#4322 - 04/25/05 10:26 PM Re: tell us about your children
Jersey Girl Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I have two.

Michael (26) He is a police officer in Washington D.C. I really wish he would change his line of work but he is destined to work in some type of public servant capacity.

He started as a fire fighter cadet when he ws 14, became and EMT at 16 and then joined the police department a few years ago. He is such a good kid.

9/11 really changed him and made him grow up fast. He worked as an EMT at Liberty Park during the entire week following the tradegy. My husband and I were in Maine when it happened. I still remember the tone in my son's voice as he relayed what was going on. I knew in that first phone call he had been changed forever. That was a lot for a 21 year old to deal with.

I always tell him he should have been a radio DJ. He never shuts up and he is funny. He always makes me laugh. He is 6'1 and I am 5'3. Whenever I yell at him he kisses me on the top of my head and tells me how short I am.

Sarah (24) is a middle school history teacher, way too serious about life and much more conservative than I could ever be. She looks like she is 14 and gets annoyed when she gets carded. I told her she will be thankful for her genes when she turns 40.

I remember one day when she came home and told my husband and I that she now knows why we never sided with her and usually took her teachers side. LOL It's funny to hear a 24 year old complain about the laziness of the 12 year olds.

Whenever Michael comes home to visit, I get the "favorite kid is home" speech. I tell her I have no favorites, both of you aggravate me.

She must have 9 lives. I almost miscarried when I was 5 months pregnant with her then she was born a month early. She was due in January but made it in time for Christmas and an extra year of a tax deduction. I tell her she is just as impatient now as she was in the womb.

As a baby, she was allergic to milk and dehydrated when she was 5 months old and had to be hospitialized. At 5 years of age she fell head first from the top a sliding pond. At 17 she was sitting in traffic on a major roadway, was slammed into by a Chevy Tahoe and her car flipped over twice, fortunately she came through it with minor body damage.

It's funny because she always thinks that her brother is the favorite kid, yet I have to admit that the close calls she has had have secured a place in my heart that Michael never had to compete with.

#4323 - 04/26/05 01:20 AM Re: tell us about your children
DallasGal Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hi Dotsie,
In answer to your question - yes and no.

The first time I saw my stepdaughter (now 18) was when she was 8 and was just beginning the survival process of her birth parents' divorce.

My first apartment as a "newlywed" was in the same apartment complex as my now husband's apartment where he lived with his daughter (now my stepdaughter, Kaile) and his stepdaughter (from a previous marriage of his first wife)after the girl's mom left them and the marriage to go live with another man. It wasn't until after my husband and I were dating and discussing our pasts that we realized that we used to live in a 90 degree angle of each other. I never knew his name, only that he was the "thorn in my flesh" and "jesus freak" (b/c of the bumper sticker on his car) whose schnauzer on more than one occassion about became kibble for my German Shepherd.

Anyways, I used to sit on my porch watching, Kaile, as an 8 year old play and ride her bike. Even then, God gave me a special bond with her. I would watch her play and see disappointment easily come to her face when others would let her down, or her older sister and the older kids would pick on her. I found myself praying for Kaile even then and had feelings of desiring to encourage her - just as I do today.

When her father and I began dating when Kaile was 12 1/2, I REALLY began to pray for Kaile. It is unbelievable the hurt a child from a divorced family faces at various stages in their lives.

Because Kaile is not my biological daughter and I respect the relationship of her biological mom and dad, there are many things I do differently with Kaile than with my own biological children who are much younger.

Mostly the differences are in areas of discipline. I do not feel that I have the authority to ground Kaile, or remove privileges from her. I defer to Mike, my husband and Kaile's dad and ensure that he is handling the discipline directly for Kaile and that it is up to him and Kaile's birth mom to be a united front, if possible, in the discipline of Kaile. I support Mike's decisions in this area, while communicating to him what I feel would be appropriate.

However, re: Kayleigh, who is Mike's (my husband's) stepdaughter, we operate differently. Kayleigh does not have any contact with her birth father and he is not involved in her life and since Mike has been her "father" since she was 2, He is daddy and he disciplines her. Even with Kayleigh =) I still struggle with submission and letting Mike discipline.

It was funny - well sort of - but a few weeks ago, Mike and I were talking and I was in a particularly stressed mood about having to seemingly constantly correct Kayleigh, and Mike's response was "let me do it, then." I started arguing, "but you don't do it, so then I have to." He smiled and said, "give me five seconds to do it." I was struck silent (not easy to do) and realized that so many times I "jump" in immediately to correct behavior instead of literally "counting to five" to let Mike do it and then I thought I had the right to be upset that he didn't help in discipline? AS IF! =)

We've been practicing the 5-second-let-Daddy-do-it disciplining technique, and I have found that the stressors of discipline have decreased tremendously.

=) Amazing what happens when we let Dad be Dad.

Summing it up, with all three kids, we have expectations that are age and maturity level appropriate, we work on a reward system, family time is important as well as individual time and "date" times where where "date" either as husband/wife or Dad/Son, Dad/Daughter, Mom/Son, or Mom/Daughter.

Is it easier with the 2 & 6 year old than with the 18 year old - of course - but there are so many "blended family" issues that come into play with our oldest daughter that interfere with parenting and stepparenting the way we do uninhibitedly with our 2 & 6 year old.

#4324 - 04/27/05 10:49 AM Re: tell us about your children
Dahti Blanchard Offline

Loc: Washington state
I've enjoyed reading about your families, so it seems only fair to tell you about mine:

Nicholas is 24--was a Systems Administrator for a software company in Seattle at 19 and then at 21 decided college sounded much more fun than 18 hour work days. He's just finishing up his junior year at Reed College in Portland, Oregon and calls himself a biologist-in-training.

Mical is 19, moved to Oregon to live with her brother and friends last fall and works in a department store there. This fall she starts college at St. Scholastica in Minnesota. It's a lovely college that I graduated from and Mical was born when I was in school there. She went to her first class when she was 5 days old. I played a concert there that night, had her with me and she was introduced as the newest member of the music department. It seems only fitting that she decided to end up there for college!

Both our kids homeschooled (in a way we all loved called unschooling) and traveled by bus and train in their teen years all over the states and Canada to visit other unschooler friends they met at a homeschoolers' camp in Oregon several years ago. We had our share of visitors--anywhere from 10 to 25 kids at a time for a week or more. Our log house is not at all large and squeezing that many kids in was a real feat, but they were always amazing kids. 8 years after the first camp they are still close to many of those same friends and even live with some.

I have great kids and am happy they stay in constant touch with us and come visit often. I loved the years they were growing up. I also have to say the old empty-nest, after the initial shock of each of them being gone, isn't a bad place at all. Their dad and I are having a great time (we took our first kidless vacation in 25 years this year) and my time is my own again. When the time comes, I will be happy to spoil grandchildren.

#4325 - 06/10/05 04:29 AM Re: tell us about your children
nance52 Offline

Loc: Chelsea, Maine
Hi,
I have two kids...my oldest, Peter is 33 and a manager at Circuit City in Portland, he lives with his SO and two cats about an hour from us..my daughter Sarah is 29 and married to Patrick going on two years...she is a finish carpenter who after working with her dad for ten years has gone out on her own with her husband. She lives just through the woods from us...no kids as of yet and none on the horizon that I know of! Nance

#4326 - 06/10/05 06:35 PM Re: tell us about your children
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Nance, just through the woods in Chelsea, Maine sounds so storybook. What fun to have a daughter right in the neighborhood.

[ June 10, 2005, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#4327 - 06/11/05 02:30 AM Re: tell us about your children
Petunia Offline

Loc: Colorado
Ohhhh, one of my favorite topics!
I have 5 really awesome, great kids! My career was being a stay at home Mom with them...

1. Oldest, a girl, is 30 yr., married 3 years and is pregnant with our 2nd grandbaby. She's a writer and former flight attendant.

2. Next, a boy, is 28 yr., engaged to be married next March. He owns his own business doing lighting control systems, home theaters, etc. He's working on a Parade of Homes house now.

3. Next one is also a boy, 24 yr. He is an elite tech with Mercedes Benz and recently bought his brand new condo.

4. Next is a girl, almost 21yr. She's a medical assistant for a large eye surgeons group. She lives with big brother in his new condo.
(they report to us on each other--haha)

5. "Baby" of the group is a boy, wears size 13 or 14 shoes...just graduated from high school and will be going away for college. He plays football and is signed onto his college team.

We have a really fun time when everyone gets together. Oldest daughter lives out of state with her family but I talk to her everyday! Being a mom of a large family definately keeps me busy! The kids are really good friends with each other and I just marvel at watching them interact with each other as adults. Can you tell I like and love my kids alot?

#4328 - 06/11/05 04:22 AM Re: tell us about your children
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I can not only tell it from your post, but I've seen a picture of these beautiful people and they each are wearing a smile that says, "I know I am loved." What tribute to parents could a child give that would be greater than this? Nada.

They are a product of you, Petunia, and Hubby.

My best, JJ

#4329 - 06/13/05 08:17 PM Re: tell us about your children
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Hello. I have two children. One graduated June 11, 05 and I sure was a proud parent. My son was here for the summer break from college. As my daughter walked across the stage, I felt a joyful pain. She has done an excellent job and will need to go off to college to learn even more. I guess the pain is that she'll 'go off' and the joy is that she has the intellect to do so.

Now, I guess I go and start posting about the empty nest syndrome since it hit the very moment she walked off of the stage.

#4330 - 06/14/05 02:54 AM Re: tell us about your children
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Sugaree, it's great to see you. Talk about mixed emotions. Wow. Will she be attending college near home?

#4331 - 06/15/05 07:00 AM Re: tell us about your children
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Thanks Dotsie. No, my dear daughter will attend Florida A&M. I'm happy about that but again, saddened by the distance that will be between us. Just about everyone that has ever encountered her speaks of her graceful, touching and caring eyes that smile right along with her gleaming pearlies. I'll miss seeing that every day. That smile has made my dark days so much more brighter and even saved my life on many occassion. Her caring and loving ways was apparent at the surprise graduation party my family and I threw for her. Her kinder/first grade and several others attended. They all said that they knew she'd be a very successful adult and that she's well on her way. I was so proud that tears just wouldn't stop flowing. She's been through much tending to me while healing from my past (I hid most but when I couldn't, she was always there with that beautiful smile, sitting by my side, holding hand or some nights just sleeping with me, holding me). Let me stop now cause I'm getting all teary eyed. I think, in part, that those days taught her compassion and the value of treating people with dignity and tenderness.

Trust me, we purchased many pictures and took that many more before, during and after the graduation.

Thanks for asking!

#4332 - 06/15/05 08:07 AM Re: tell us about your children
wordcharmer Offline

Loc: Ohio
I know I am late, but I'll try to add mine.

I have 4 children, 4 step children that my husband and I raised, and one step daughter that never lived with us. I have 18 grandchildren.

Ed, my oldest son is 37 and has three children-Kristi 16, Stormi 14, and "Little Ed, 12. MY son hasn't talked to anyone in my family for two years. A falling out as someone said. I do see my grandchildren though, as they live with their mother only 5 miles from me. I do miss my son, but he made this choice, not me.

My oldest daughter Tracy is 35 and has two boys-Kyle 10 and Tyler 6. Tracy is an executive secretary at a nearby hospital, and is the comedian of the family.

Jamie, the middle daughter, is 29 and has two boys-Austin is 6 and Mexican/American, Grayson is 1 and a half and rotten to the core, but fun. Jamie is the Human Resources Manager at an Ohio State Park and an artist.

Jennifer is 26 and my baby, and the mother of three-Haleigh is 5, Patrick is 4, and Emily is 1 and a half. Jennifer, thank God, has a degree in early childhood education, but chooses to be a stay-at-home-mom for now.

My oldest step son is Sid, he's 26 and works in construction and janitorial workj at a school. He has two children, Samantha 6, and Ethan 2 and one due the end of this month.

Christian is 24 and not married yet. He lives with a girl who has one child. He also works in construction.

Shelli is 29 and divorced, with three boys, Zack who is 13, and twins Stephen and Seth who are 8.

Chandra is divorced with one son, Frankie who is 6. She and Shelli work in Nursing homes.

Wendy is the step daughter who never lived with us, and is 31. She has two children, Kayla is 13 and Matt is 10. Wendy is a nurse.

I think that is all of them! All but one lives within 30 miles of us in Ohio. Jamie lives 3 hours away in Southern Ohio.

[ June 15, 2005, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: wordcharmer ]

#4333 - 09/23/05 05:51 AM Re: tell us about your children
Pattie Offline

Loc: North Royalton, ohio
Hi Everyone
I have three children. Daughter 25 married and has a three month old plus two step children. I have a son 21 going to school two hours away, living with friends, trying to find his way in life. My youngest is 17 a senior in high school. we're both getting very emotional about it. We are very close.

#4334 - 09/23/05 06:48 AM Re: tell us about your children
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Pattie, have you started the college searches? We're searching with our two high school seniors. Since I'm thinking about them leaving we're making the most of the college visits. So far we're having fun. Next comes the applications...

#4335 - 09/23/05 06:09 PM Re: tell us about your children
Sera Offline

Loc: Fairfield, Ct. USA
Hello all..I'm late also! I have two children and a stepdaughter. My daughter Amanda is 27 and living in Allentown, Pa...she's an events co-ordinator. My son Josh just got married in May and is 25. I'm fortunate in that I LOVE his new bride..she's a sweetie, and they're childhood friends turned husband and wife! [Smile] My stepdaughter Christy is 25 also and just got her first job as a school psychologist after YEARS of college. She and her fiancee Eric will be married next year in July. My husband and I are blessed beyond belief with 3 wonderful kids who have never given us problems...at least up to now! [Big Grin] I wouldn't trade any of them...Blessings, S.

[ September 23, 2005, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Sera ]

#4336 - 09/23/05 08:56 PM Re: tell us about your children
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
I have 8 children (yes, same mom, same dad!). Katy is 24, married, with a son who turns 2 tommorrow. (He calls me Nonnie [Smile]
Chris is 20,he skates, plays drums and guitar. Anthony is 17, works for a painter, loves anything with a motor in it. Joe is 15, loves to skate and draw. Matt is 12, going through puberty, likes football and basketball. James is 8, skates, draws and is trying to learn guitar and drums. David is almost 6, just started kindergarten, full of energy and brains. Hope is
3 1/2, loves Dora, playing with her dolls and her nephew. I should probably mention Jeremy, who is Anthony's 17 year old friend, who just moved in with us 2 weeks ago. He was living in New Orleans with his dad and of course, had to get out. So we invited him here.
We have 10 people in the house right now - as of last month, my daughter and her family were here too!

#4337 - 09/24/05 07:01 AM Re: tell us about your children
Pattie Offline

Loc: North Royalton, ohio
Dotsie, Yes we are starting the college searches. It is fun. Though my daughter doesn't want to go too far away from home. With her sister just having a baby she wants to be able to see them now and again.

#4338 - 09/24/05 07:04 AM Re: tell us about your children
Bookie Offline

Not really late in posting just new to BWS.
I have two wonderful children - daughter Jennifer who is the 37 year old mother of my sweet grandson Cameron and Christian who will be 29 on October 7th. Christian married beautiful Carol last August in Pennsylvania.

Jennifer lives in Oregon and is a services sales rep for a veterinary diagnostics lab. Her husband Bob is a barber. You should see the great pictures I received of Daddy giving Cameron his first hair cut! They are precious beyond words.

Christian and Carol live in Maryland. Chris is a sales manager with the Marriott Corporation in and daughter-in-law Carol is a department manager for a pharmaceutical research company.
Jennifer looks a lot like me...but much more beautiful. Christian looks just like his dad except he has the most beautiful blue eyes you've ever seen. He could double for Nicolas Cage.

They are incredible and accomplished young adults and I am so proud of them.
After all the times that I thought I was such a failure as a parent, I look at them now and say..."Well we must have done something right afterall"

[ September 24, 2005, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Bookie ]

#4339 - 09/24/05 07:07 AM Re: tell us about your children
Bookie Offline

Word Charmer

I just read your post. Amazing that you have children with the same names as my children - Jennifer and Christian!

#4340 - 09/26/05 03:19 AM Re: tell us about your children
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Hi, I have two handsome grown sons. David is 43 and has two step children Jared 22, getting married in Oct. and Cristy 20 and one natural son Jason 15. My daughter-in-law is a joy....
My youngest son Mark is 38, married to a very pretty girl last time I heard and he has been estranged from our family now for 12 years. Don't know anything more than that unfortunately.

#4341 - 09/26/05 04:17 AM Re: tell us about your children
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Hi, Five children... my 1st born is Tracey 32, office manager for Land America. Joshua, my eldest son is 28, he works land surveying.
Twin boys 25, Timothy is the eldest he is a auto mechanic, Daniel still scoots around looking for the perfect job (hope he finds it soon). Youngest daughter is 21, she works as a manager at one of our many Starbucks.
All live at home, except for Tracey. [Roll Eyes]

Can't forget my other babies...
We have a 7 lb. Miniature Pinscher named Girl.
Bridgett, is a 11lb. Miniature Shih-Tzu.
Plus, when Johua moved back in he brought Roscoe. He 's a 90 lb. Pit Bull, who thinks he is the size of Bridgett and Girl. [Eek!]

[Smile]

#4342 - 01/11/06 07:43 PM Re: tell us about your children
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
Hi All,
I have 3 daughters, Juli, my oldest is from my first marriage at 18. She is a college graduate, married to a career Airforce major with three children of her own. She beautiful and wonderful and I love her with all my heart.
My middle daughter, Alicia, is 26 and has two sons. One of her sons is developmentally challenged. One evening after dinner her husband of 7 years told her he no longer loved her and was moving out. He stated his reasons were that she was intolerant of his new religion which was Wicca. He now lives with an agnostic. My daughter has shown remarkable strength and faith in her new life as a single parent. A Christian family who owns their own franchise hired my daughter and trained her to manage one of their stores. My daughter is studying Spanish and is laughing now which is so good to my ears. She is beautiful and wonderful and I love her with all my heart.
My youngest daughter, Katie, is in trouble with the law. She has had a dual problem since she was 11 yrs. old of mental and emotional illness as well as drug addiction. She seems to lack the ability to think beyond the moment. She has two beautiful children, a little girl who lives with me and a son who lives with his father. Katie faces sentencing this Friday the 13th for violation of her probation for drug trafficking. She is charming and manipulative but also intelligent. She wants to be a crime scene investigator when she gets out of either prison or a program to address her issues. She is beautiful and wonderful and I love her with all my heart.

#4343 - 01/12/06 08:43 AM Re: tell us about your children
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
I have 2 grown children, 19 months apart.

Laura is 29 and teaching at a community college while finishing her masters degree in education to teach science. Ed, 27, is an architect in NYC who lives in Brooklyn. They are both single, so no grandchildren even close.

They are super kids, and we are very proud of both of them.

#4344 - 01/12/06 07:33 AM Re: tell us about your children
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I have 2 grown children also. My daughter is 36, married, an RN with a BSN and works as a nurse manager. My son is 34, single and a contractor. They both live close by. No grandchildren.
Louisa

#4345 - 01/12/06 09:59 PM Re: tell us about your children
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
I have 8 children. Oldest is a girl, 24, married, 2 year old son. Next, 20 year old son, lives in NM, then son, 18, son 16, son 12, son 8, son 6 and daughter, almost 4, all at home.

#4346 - 01/13/06 12:16 AM Re: tell us about your children
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Oops, I just asked you this in another post. Sorry Bluebird.

I am in awe of you and the love you must sprinkle on those kids.

I have a son in his third year of college in SC majoring in Finance, playing club ball and all kinds of intramurals. He loves to cook, read, do crossword puzzles, and has just taken up tennis.
He was adopted from Korea when he was three months.

Next is my daughter who is 18 and a high school senior. She dances for her school, has a part time job which she has had for almost two years (I'm proud of her for that). She loves her friends and received her first college acceptance this week. She was also adopted from Korea when she was three months old.

While waiting for her to arrive from Korea. I got pregnant with my 17 year old son. He loves filmmaking, hanging out with his friends, and working at his film internship. He has received college acceptances too. Also received a 12,000.00 a year scholarship to a school he doesn't want to attend. Think we can twist his arm? Just kidding.

Next year they may be spread throughout the country. Some days I feel good about it, others, I get teary-eyed.

I love my family. Don't you?

#4347 - 01/13/06 02:22 AM Re: tell us about your children
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Just think of it Dotsie as doing your part for humanity by putting out in the world three excellent young adults, well trained, loving, intelligent and God fearing. If only we could all do that just think of what a wonderful world we would have....I adore both my sons, one close by and the other far away from me. I wish both were close and we all shared the same values and space.

#4348 - 01/13/06 10:32 AM Re: tell us about your children
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
It's wonderful to read about your children : )

As for mines, Stacy is 36 and has been a hairdresser since she was 21. She has our grandson Matthew.
Lorrin is 34 and looks so much like his dad...has our grandson Dennin.
Liana and Devie, twins, are 32. Each married and from them are our grandkids Caleb, Kayla and Katelyn.
Liana is a manager at a national bookstore chain that begins with the letter B. Devie is the head chef at a well-known local school.
Levin is 29 and works and goes to school. He has our grandsons Cy and Austin.
Our baby, Kelsey, is just 15 and is a sophomore at college prep school. She is your average busy teen : )

With all the kids, "inlaw" kids, and grandkids, it seems like this family grew so fast....hard to believe that just 11 or 12 years ago it was just the kids around!

#4349 - 01/13/06 06:45 PM Re: tell us about your children
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Bookstore chain that begins with B. That's a tough one because we have BOrders and Barnes and Noble. [Wink] They're the two big ones in this town.

Diamond, sdo your twins have a closer relationship than your other children?

#4350 - 01/14/06 12:39 PM Re: tell us about your children
diamond50 Offline

Lol, Dotsie, I love both Borders and Barnes and Nobles. Hard to get me out of there!

Yes, my twins are quite close. I think they would have withdrawals if they did not speak to each other at least once each morning and once later in the day : )

#4351 - 01/14/06 06:43 PM Re: tell us about your children
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Diamond, you should feel blessed that your children are so close. That's wonderful.

We went to Borders last night!

#4352 - 01/15/06 11:24 AM Re: tell us about your children
diamond50 Offline

Dotsie,
I hope I am not overstepping here; just let me know.
I was just curious...do your two older children ever
wonder about the country/culture they were adopted
from?

I admire all who are willing to adopt. If we were
still young, we'd adopt one of those precious little
girls from China.

#4353 - 01/20/06 11:31 AM Re: tell us about your children
sami Offline

Loc: Montreal, Quebec. Canada.
I am new to this forum (and a Boomer) I am amazed at the warmth and understanding and real help on this forum. I've been reading it for 2 hours now and it's 1.30 a.m.

Anyway I have 3 children, Oldest is Yasmin who has her own talent agency called Little Lost Hollywood, then Turia, who is a dog lover and mother to 2 boxer dogs, named Polo and Bo and she does insist that they are my granchildren, and they should be treated as such. The youngest is Sebastien and he is a D.J. He is mainly a Techno D.J. I am more of a Buddy Holly
fan myself, but I've grown to like some Techno music.

I also have three grandchildren, but this is a post for children so I'll leave them for another time.

#4354 - 01/20/06 03:19 PM Re: tell us about your children
chickadee Offline

sami...Go to bed!...just kidding...Welcome to the site. It will take you days even months to read ALL the posts, for sure. Take a minute to tell us more about yourself and your grandkids. Like you I have 3 and 3. I am also from Canada...brrr.I don't speak French. Do you? I need to learn. Hope you'll drop by again today.
chick

#4355 - 01/20/06 06:32 PM Re: tell us about your children
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Sami,
Welcome...to our site...I have only been here for a few months and I am addicted to this place and to all of the amazing women I have met...I hope you'll tell us more about yourself and decide to stay....

#4356 - 01/20/06 10:49 PM Re: tell us about your children
Dotsie Offline
Founder

sami, welcome! Is baby-shower-depot your site/ What fun. You must be one organized woman. Great idea for a business!

#4357 - 01/21/06 03:18 AM Re: tell us about your children
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Hi ho Sami and welcome....You sound like me dogs for children and grandchildren as well. I too am up fooling around in here at all hours, I am the 'sargeant at arms' so to speak and keeper of the flame of the hearts of our group. I take this quite seriously as you will see. Welcome, welcome to our happy home.

#4358 - 01/21/06 06:38 AM Re: tell us about your children
sami Offline

Loc: Montreal, Quebec. Canada.
Hi Chick, Avalon & Dotsie, Thank you for your warm welcome.

I think I'm going to like it here.

Chick, you asked if I speak French, I do, but very badly. Two of my children are bi-lingual and my 2 year old grandaughter speaks only French (and baby talk). So I have a really good incentive to improve my French so I don't teach my grandaughter to speak French with all the wrong grammar. I grew up in England, but my husband is French-Canadian and I've been living in Quebec for more than 30 years, so I am running out of excuses for not having a good command of the French language.

I have two other granchildren Christopher and Charlie, Charlie comes to my home every day after school he's 12 and loves tobogganing down Christmas Pudding Hill, which is a big hill that looks like a Christmas Pudding just accross the road.

Dotsie, yes it is my website. It's more of a hobby than a business, but I hope that one day it might be. So I can retire from my other business. I am so glad I found this (your) website. It is something to look forward to reading after work.

--------------------
www.baby-shower-depot.com

#4359 - 03/09/06 12:00 PM Re: tell us about your children
Sandi Offline

Loc: Jupiter Florida
Hello to all...First to Chatty Lady: I feel really bad...isn't there anything you can do
about Mark? He was only 28 back then...maybe he grew up? Maybe he would love to hear from you...but won't pick up the phone first! Not my business, but I hope you someday can come to terms.
ok.I have two sons, 21 and 28. The 21 is a handfull, still home, (and really I'm happy about that) but...would like to see him move on!
He is a Happy Go Lucky...wants to be ugh..an actor. Whatever, as long as he's happy doing whaat he wants to do...My 28 yr old has been in
Calif since 2000, I miss him dearly, but we do see each other a few times a year, he has a wonderful girlfriend who lives with him, she wants to get married, he wants to make his mark first. And not doing too bad either, he's a producer..did quite a few reality shows..hates them, and is now into tv..he bought his home last year, loves his job, and just about all of his friends from FSU Film School are out there with him...but the hours are brutal!! He travels a lot! and bonus for mom...I actually walked the RED CARPET! in Sept, he produced the annual stunt awards...have to pretend I don't really see those celebs...so I'm expanding my peripheral vision! No grandchildren, wah...looking forward to that...we are all blessed, aren't we?

#4360 - 03/09/06 12:36 PM Re: tell us about your children
Searcher Offline

Loc: boise
Diamond - is it possible your heritage could be Irish?

#4361 - 03/09/06 01:21 PM Re: tell us about your children
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Two boys, who eventually turned into lovely men. They are kind to old people, and love children and animals. They are descent human beings and humble. Hard to believe they are mine sometimes. They are rather quiet too...hmmm...One grandbeauty, and one daughter-in-law...and their second grandbaby due in three weeks. Life is good.

Then of course, I have Trixie.

JJ

#4362 - 03/10/06 08:47 AM Re: tell us about your children
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
I seemed to have missed this before.

I have 2 grown children -- Laura, 29, and Ed, 27.

Laura lives on LI NY where she tutors and teaches at a community college. When she completes her Master's of Arts in teaching next year, she plans to teach science at the high school or middle school level.

Ed is an architect who lives and works in NYC. He moved there after going to school in Seattle, and it's really nice to have him closer to us.

We will be visiting them next week. I can't wait!

#4363 - 03/09/06 09:30 PM Re: tell us about your children
pepper Offline

Loc: Jupiter, Florida
Hi All
I have 2 children, one in NJ one in Florida. My NJ son is 28, my Fl daughter is 31. I have 1 granddaughter, age 9 months!!! I am very very blessed.....
Kasey C

#4364 - 03/10/06 03:40 AM Re: tell us about your children
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Sandi nothing in the world could keep me from calling or seeking my son Mark out, but my older son David and I have no idea where he might be. I have not changed my residence or phone number for that very reason so he can find me when and if he wants to. I am heart sick nover the loss of my baby, he'll be 40 in April. I almost learned some news of him 2 Christmas's ago but was hindered by my ex sticking his nose where it didn't belong (long story.) Maybe one day he'll come home?

#4365 - 03/24/06 01:30 AM Re: tell us about your children
flossie Offline

Loc: New Zealand
I have just the one child, desperatedly wanted a girl when I was pregnant and I got just what I wanted!!! Elizabeth is 22 now, and has been a dream child. She is currently studying to become a drama teacher and in her 3rd year of a four year double degree course. She lives in Wellington which is just a 2 hour drive from our place, she keeps in touch almost daily via txt, emails and phone calls.

She also has a nice young man in her life who loves her as dearly as we do!

We are blessed.

#4366 - 03/24/06 05:57 AM Re: tell us about your children
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
I guess I didn't see this thread. This is a wonderful place to learn about all of us and our children.

I have two children. We were lucky and got a boy and a girl. They are 6 years apart.

My son is the oldest at 32 years. He has been married for 9 years and just presented me with my first grandchild -- a beautiful little boy. My son has been an Electrician for about 14 years and is one of the bosses. He has been a scuba diver for about 16 years. He and his wife and baby live about 10 miles from us.

My daughter is 25 years old. She has done me the favor of staying home to help me with various extended families health matters. So, now she is going to move to Chicago by the fall of this year. She is an actor and will continue it in Chicago for the time being.

I home schooled my daughter from 6th - 12th grade. I absolutely loved doing it. Created a bond that is fantastic between us. She is my best friend. Challenges my mind everyday and keeps at it till I really look at something different. She is a sports enthusaiast and knows all the stats but hockey is her favorite. She is also a fantastic writer.

I tell them that my son is my heart and my daughter is my soul. To me, that pretty much describes them.

Wouldn't know what to do without them.

Sandpiper

#4367 - 03/28/06 08:10 AM Re: tell us about your children
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Sandpiper, one your heart and one your soul. I've never heard a mom say that before. I like it.

What are your plans for when she moves to Chicago? I see lots of airplane trips in your future! Has she written anything that's published online?

#4368 - 03/28/06 08:12 AM Re: tell us about your children
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Update on my kids:

Oldest turns 21 in April and we won't see him on his birthday. I don't think I'll see him until May 31st!

My younger two are making college decisions. Time will tell if I'll really be an empty nester next year.

We are gearing up for proms, senior breakfasts, dinners, graduations, etc. It's a very exciting time.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved