Prayer is so powerful and good for us. Sometimes I know I take for granted our ability to pray and be close to God. When Jesus was born, all of us gained a friend, someone we could pray to, someone to help us learn how to pray, someone who would look after our needs. Someone who rejoices and crys with us.

When I was in high school I used to pray in the morning before school in the balcony of our auditorium. We sat on the floor in a circle and prayed aloud with one another. It was wonderful.

In college and as a very young adult I didn't have a group to pray with, and I missed it. As a young mother I became friends with a woman at church who wanted to start a prayer group for mothers. I was so glad to have a place to pray with others. I think this type of intimate grop prayer is very powerful and healthy. We have been praying together for over 10 years and although women and their kids have come and gone (the babies attending are now in school), there is a core group who meets as often as we can. I am so grateful that my friend started this group and has organized it over the years.

We have prayed over many things, cryed often, been afraid sometimes,we have even tried fasting along with prayer to increase our prayers' effectiveness. We have seen the goodness of our Lord and we have known peace even when life is difficult. Our prayers have been answered in amazing ways and our faith has grown.

Here's a thought for the new year: try finding a prayer group to join and see if you don't like it. It's a great way to get close to God and the people you pray with, and to feel God's peace in your heart.