The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 189 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#41153 - 01/03/06 07:11 PM advice re bad reviews on amazon
Sigrid Macdonald Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
hi everyone -

i just noticed yesterday that one of my books received two bad reviews on amazon. one review is so misleading and personally insulting to me that i was tempted to respond to it only to set the record straight.

i've sold hundreds of books on there, so i know that everybody can't like the book. i'm just worried that the two poor reviews - esp the last - will affect future sales.

what do you think? is it unprofessional to reply? should i be cool and aloof - lol - and ignore it? i only want to do what's right but i don't want prospective readers to be deterred from getting my book if they read this misleading info.

thanks and happy 2006 [Smile]
sigrid, in lowercase today

#41154 - 01/04/06 08:03 AM Re: advice re bad reviews on amazon
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
I'm so sorry about that, Sigrid. That happened to a children's author I know, and she wrote to Amazon. Couldn't hurt.

Donna

#41155 - 01/04/06 08:58 AM Re: advice re bad reviews on amazon
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I don't know what the answer is but is it possible to have a few people you know who have read the book to go in and post more positive reviews?

#41156 - 01/03/06 10:19 PM Re: advice re bad reviews on amazon
Sigrid Macdonald Offline

Dotsie,

About 14 people have read the book and written positive reviews. The book is on total hip replacement, therefore, it is not a book that will appeal to everyone. It is for people who are preparing for joint surgery.

My friends and acquaintances have already read it. Whenever someone writes to me out of the blue after having read my book or my blog, and they say something nice about it, I ask if they would mind posting a small paragraph on Amazon. They've done that. I've pretty much run out of people to ask! That's why I was thinking of posting my own reply but it would have to be in the "review" section.

I'm just worried that posting my own reply would make matters worse -- can't help but thinking about John Grisham or Mary Higgins Clark. For sure, neither one of them would consider rebutting a review of one of their own books!

Donna,

The person wasn't rude or inappropriate, so I don't think it would be proper of me to write to Amazon. The person simply didn't get what I was trying to say in my book and ended up blaming me for having a difficult surgical recovery. I wanted to refute what she'd said but I'm not sure if I'll draw more attention to myself by doing so.

Thanks everybody :-)
Sigrid

#41157 - 01/03/06 10:24 PM Re: advice re bad reviews on amazon
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Sorry about that, Sigrid. I don't have an answer. Have you contacted your publisher for suggestion on this? Not sure if it's appropriate or not.

#41158 - 01/03/06 10:31 PM Re: advice re bad reviews on amazon
Norah Offline

Loc: Ohio
I read somewhere that if your book has all good reviews that some people think only your friends and family are buying it. I have ordered many many books from Amazon, being an avid reader, and I have read many reviews, even the best of the best have a few bad reviews, so that leads me to believe that you can't please everyone. It's hard not to take it to heart, believe me I know. Dotsie has a great idea, the next positive review will go on top of the bad ones so if you surround it by positive ones, it will balance it out.

#41159 - 01/04/06 02:33 AM Re: advice re bad reviews on amazon
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Sigrid I empathize! I guess as writers we always hope people "get" what we are trying to say and you'd like to think that if someone didn't - they would just write to you personally and say so. The person who wrote the negative review could easily have found you and done that in another way. I guess we have to try and cultivate "thick skin" in this writing business - not always easy to do....and in an open forum atmosphere like Amazon reviews (or the other sites as well), people are going to post what they feel like posting.

All those other POSITIVE reviews will more than make up for one negative one - I'm just sure of that! [Wink]

#41160 - 01/04/06 03:36 AM Re: advice re bad reviews on amazon
Sigrid Macdonald Offline

Pam,

Exactly. If you google my name, you'll come up with about 15 --20 pages. I'm really easy to find and if that person had written to me directly, I would have offered her money back.

Norah,

I agree that it always looks better to have a diversity of opinion. I review all kinds of books on Amazon and I don't give everything a five-star review. In fact, I gave Tom Wolfe's last book a terrible review.

Shortly afterwards, I was reading a book by Nick Hornby -- one of my favorite writers -- who said how much he hated Amazon reviewers! Since then, I haven't posted any reviews.

Let's face it. Amazon is a populist forum. In some ways that's great because it gives everyone an opportunity to get on and write their opinion. On the other hand, not everyone's opinion is that valuable! That may sound snobby and I don't mean it that way. I just mean that it is a forum for amateur critics and I don't want to respond as an amateur writer. I would like to appear professional even if I'm feeling disillusioned :-)

Sigrid

#41162 - 01/04/06 06:15 AM Re: advice re bad reviews on amazon
Sigrid Macdonald Offline

Brenda,

Thanks so much for the reassurance. I used to check my stats every day and I was always looking for new reviews. Now, I'm not going to do that anymore. I will check occasionally and I won't read the reviews. LOL.

Totally agree that Amazon wouldn't do anything about those bad reviews. They were perfectly polite and appropriate. I just didn't agree with them.

All the best in 2006.
Sigrid

#41163 - 01/04/06 07:12 AM Re: advice re bad reviews on amazon
Deda Offline

Loc: NC
I think there are some people who go on amazon and write nasty reviews just to be jerks. What I did was get some friends to go on and write postive reviews.

I wouldn't waste time replying to the jerks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved