The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 115 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#3958 - 04/06/04 06:13 PM Teachers
gwinny Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
It's been a LONG time since I was in public school. I can't remember the names of many of my teachers (without REALLy straining my poor brain) -- but there are some that I will never forget, who made a direct impact on me -- both good and bad. I really believe teaching is a "calling".

We were driving by my grandchildren, Alex and Mikey's old school - Vickery Meadows. Alex shudders everytime we drive by and usually comments - "I'm glad I NEVER have to go to that horrible school again!" The other night as we drove by, Alex made that statement. Mikey, in a small voice, said, "I had two wonderful years there....", and started crying. How is it that two siblings have such dramatic different experiences at the same school? It all boils down to the teachers they had.

Alex's 3rd grade experience was a nightmare. Her teacher, Ms. Seibens, should never be allowed around anyone under the age of 18 -- and certainly not in a teaching enviroment! She allowed the entire class to ostrasize and shun Alex - for the entire year. Her response when we brought it up in one of the many meetings that year was, "She brought it all on herself - she told the other girls she was beautiful." Rather than using that as a teaching experience and maybe sitting down with Alex and suggesting she not tell other girls she was beautiful, Seibens sat back and watched her sink lower and lower in her self-esteem. The only time this teacher came to the rescue was when the culprits extorted money from Alex -- promising they would be her friend if she would give all of them money for chips. The teacher did get monies back (but I suspect she did that because the money given away was to pay for school pictures, and we told her there was no more money left to replace what was taken).

Mikey's teacher, Ms. Farraby, should be named Teacher of the Year. His first year in school (Kindergarden) was very rocky (due to his actually being too immature to have started in the first place - his birthday was July 17th and he just was not ready). A bit#*# of a school counselor immediately labeled him as autistic and learning disabled - and sent him through a battery of tests, including drawing blood, mri's and a host of others. All through that year, Ms. Farraby stood by Mikey and he absolutely adored her. Lisa had him repeat Kindergarden the next year and he had Ms Farraby again. With that extra year to mature, he became a model student -- making the A honor roll and becoming a leader in the class. The counselor, in spite of the complete turnaround -- still insisted that her diagnosis of the year before was correct, and tried her best to have him transferred to a special ed class! Ms. Farraby stood by this little boy and protected him from both the counsel and principal.

As we were driving by that night - Alex said, "Mikey, you are crying because Ms. Farraby was a good teacher." Mikey immediately piped up, "NO! She was not just a teacher -- She was like a MOTHER!" - and he started sobbing and sobbing. That, my friends, is what I believe the goal of all teachers of young children should strive for.

The other day I stopped by Vickery Meadows to see Ms. Farraby after school. She was so glad to see me. She told me that she was going to teach 2nd grade next year and Mikey could be in her class. I had to tell her that he had moved and was going to Duncanville now. I then told her about what he had said the other night. Tears started falling. She gave me her address and wants Mikey to write her and send her pictures and she will write him back.

Two teachers -- both will never be forgotten by these two kids. But one will forever be loved and adored (and every teacher that follows will be measured against her) -- and the other will be despised.

Gwinnetta

#3959 - 04/07/04 05:49 AM Re: Teachers
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
I am so glad you went and told that teacher what a difference she made in your grandsons life. Teachers get dumped on a lot and rarely hear from their students or the families once they move to a different grade. She'll remember your grandson as fondly as her remembers her.

#3960 - 04/07/04 08:12 PM Re: Teachers
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Ah, teachers, what a topic. They can make or break a kid.

I have a few that come to mind, but the one who stands out the most for my three children is one that made a difference in my son's life in the seventh grade.

He transferred to a Catholic school from a public. Not an easy task.

His homeroom teacher took him under her wing and welcomed him like you just couldn't believe. She took an interest in his photography and encouraged him every time he showed her one of his photos. She had a degree in the arts and brought her photography in to share with him. She also loaned him photography books.

It's 4 years later and he still keeps in touch with her. He loves photography and film making and I credit her encouragement from early on. He will always carry her in his heart.

And Candice, you're right...I'm glad gwinny stopped by to tell the teacher. I bet it made her week.

#3961 - 04/22/04 10:34 PM Re: Teachers
Seth Offline

Loc: Madison, WI
As a teacher for 29 years, I can tell you that it is very seldom that someone reaches out to compliment you on your work. The one reward that I do have, I have found accidentally, when I find out that, in fact, many of my former students have chosen to follow in my footsteps and teach high school Spanish. How nice it would be for people to just say a kind word. In high school, most of us find that few kids even bother to wish us a merry Christmas, or a great vacation. Perhaps a statement of our times? And I'm not just speaking for myself, but for a great majority of my co-workers.

#3962 - 04/23/04 01:56 AM Re: Teachers
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Seth, When my boys were growing up, fron kindergarden on up, every holiday we shopped for the perfect card or gift for their teacher/teachers. They learned at home that their teachers were people and needed the same consideration as everyone else. As of about 5th grade the boys automatically bought the cards on their own. This practice went on all through their schooling and in a couple of instances they have remained friends over the years, writing back and forth. My momma always said: The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Good habits are taught. [Wink]

#3964 - 04/23/04 05:20 PM Re: Teachers
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Speaker, what were you teaching at the school? Are you on a sub list?

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved