The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 156 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#38300 - 08/28/04 02:56 PM Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Prill, I checked out your publicist and agent online. I'm so happy you have quality people working for/with you. Mind sharing how you got them?

[ August 28, 2004, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#38301 - 08/28/04 03:53 PM Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Dotsie,
I think fear is the MAJOR and sometimes ONLY factor that holds people back from doing things they really want to do. I've found that if I minimize the fear, or better yet, meet it head on, then that particular fear simply disappears. I think someone like Garrie (who has a way with splain things) could do a better job here, but let me give a very simple and small explanation of what I mean....

Ever been to a large gathering where there was a buffet? Seems like everytime I do, when it's time to eat, no one will go first and the person who does gives some sort of embarassing statement as to why he/she's going first...then after that person, everybody jumps up and gets in line. How crazy is this? It's a food line, not a line to get into heaven. I've made it a practice that whenever I'm in a situation like this and the speaker says "okay folks, let dine" or "time to eat" or whatever, I simply get up and get a plate.

Now I know that too simple an explanation but it serves the purpose. What I do whenever something bothers me or I feel my fear creeping in is to say to myself, "what's the worst that can happen?" Usually, it already has...and it's not that bad so I go for it!

Hope this helps a tad...

now, I'd love to hear how Prill got her agent and publicist, but I just had to put my 10 cents worth in...teehee.

JJ

#38302 - 08/28/04 04:02 PM Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers
Prill Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Dotsie--I'm happy to share what I know. In terms of getting a publicist, my agent helped me; so the answer to your question has to start with how I got an agent. A successful writer friend of mine, Jane Hammerslough, gave me some advice early on in my project. First of all, she recommended I read the book I suggested in an earlier posting: "The Shortest Distance Between You and a Published Book" by Susan Page. But she also said that being crystal clear and passionate about the concept of your book was the most important thing in terms of getting an agent. "An agent will come to YOU, if you're clear," she said. I didn't quite believe her, but that's exactly what happened to me. I talked shamelessly about my book idea everywhere I went--in airports, in stores, even at PTA meetings. (At this point, I hadn't written a word, but I WAS clear and I WAS passionate.) Within a few weeks of my conversation with Jane, I was been given business cards by two agents with encouragement to call them after I'd written a few chapters. The first I met in a train station; the second, at a party. Keep in mind that I had never met--at least to my knowledge--a literary agent in my life. Less than a month later, a third agent, Paul Fedorko, whom I met through a friend but had no idea was a literary agent, paid me a visit and asked about my book. (My friend had told Paul about my idea.) After I shared with him the concept, he said, "Do you have an agent yet?" When I told him I didn't, he said, "Well, I'm your agent." I was floored. I felt sure that once he saw my writing, he would change his mind (that self-doubt thing I had to work through), but he didn't. I know that between the lines of this answer, your readers are going to think, "Ah ha! She had connections." And, this is true. But I didn't KNOW I had connections, and I think Paul would validate my belief that the reason he took me on was not because of my friend but because I was clear about what I was doing and able to impart to him my vision. Hope this helps.

#38303 - 08/28/04 04:08 PM Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Good Lord...that's a great story and almost like a dream come true. I think you should be called

you ready?

CinderPRILLa....

what?

JJ

#38304 - 08/28/04 04:11 PM Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers
Prill Offline

JJ-- Love what you said about fear. I agree entirely. Also love the buffet analogy.

#38305 - 08/28/04 04:15 PM Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers
Prill Offline

JJ-- You just crack me up. [Big Grin] Cinder-prilla. That's great.! I've been called all sorts of things (my good friends always lapse into Prilly or Prillilla or some such thing), but never Cinderprilla. How do you come up with this stuff? Wish you could bottle it and sell some to me.

#38306 - 08/28/04 04:21 PM Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Well honey child, today's your lucky day cause I WILL be selling you some of my...ah...my...ahhh..hmmm...Queenisms, that's it, Queenisms, reallll soooon.

My book, "A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the Throne," is suppose to be out before Christmas and it will be like the shot heard around the world...teehee.

So stand by girls and boys...and be afraid...be very afraid...the Queen is coming to a bookstore near you.

JJ [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

#38307 - 08/28/04 05:28 PM Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Did any of you notice how Dotsie jumped in and cleaned up the conversation when the topic of boobs appeared? Hmmmm

#38308 - 08/28/04 06:24 PM Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Okay Queen, I can buy the football boobs thing, but you're spelling naked like a Yankee. It's not nakid. It's nekud. Get your southern butt down here where you belong girl.

AND, Where did you hear that stuff about "way down yonder" being in New Orleans? It ain't New Orleans. It's Oklahoma.
Woody Guthrie, the Dustbowl Balladeer, from Okemah, Oklahoma, wrote about it in the thirties.
And us Okies ain't lettin' them Louisianans steal it neither. "This Indian Nation, Oklahoma, is where "Way Down Yonder" is and we know it!! Here's Woody's song:

OKLAHOMA HILLS
by Woody Guthrie
Many a month has come and gone
Since I wandered from my home
In those Oklahoma hills where I was born.
Many a page of life has turned,
Many a lesson I have learned;
Well, I feel like in those hills I still belong.
CHORUS:
""'Way down yonder in the Indian Nation
Ridin' my pony on the reservation,
Now, 'way down yonder in the Indian Nation,
A cowboy's life is my occupation,

But as I sit here today,
Many miles I am away
From a place I rode my pony through the draw,
While the oak and blackjack trees
Kiss the playful prairie breeze,

CHORUS

Now as I turn life a page
To the land of the great Osage
In those Oklahoma hills where I was born,
While the black oil it rolls and flows
And the snow-white cotton grows

smile
P.S. I went to the site. Loved it. Can't wait to get the book. No matter how late I am, I need to BLOOM!!!

[ August 28, 2004, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#38309 - 08/28/04 06:31 PM Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

<Queen doing happy dance cause SMILES is back> Well now dearest mentor of mine....As a true, born and raised, but never picked cotten, SouthernHER...I can assure you I borrow that spelling from none other than....LEWIS GRIZZARD himself. It don't "git" any more Southern than that. Lord I wish that man was still alive....sigh. And Erma, bless her heart.

...now the "way down yonder" phrase I'll will admit...belongs to Okies, okey doakey?

Soooo glad you're back girl...

JJ

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved