The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 115 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#38140 - 08/12/04 08:55 PM Re: On becoming a Writer...
Sher Offline

Loc: Midwest
Hi Ladies,

I'm new here and I found it very interesting to find out about your individual inspirations to write, how you got started, etc.

I've written always, always, always. As a person who has OCD, I found writing calming and therapeutic. Much of what I wrote for years and years was very dark.

I have always been someone that enjoyed laughing and making other people laugh, though. In a crowded room, I am always the one that is telling some story making everyone laugh. (Even though I might have been crying at home.)

And then!!!!

I woke up one morning and I had my fill of writing about the pain and tragic circumstances of my life. I started writing and as the keys were clicking, I was laughing.

It felt good! I haven't looked back.

I am an unpaid, unknown writer who dreams of the big time, but will continue to write even if I have to feed my family government cheese for the rest of my life. It's a "got to" kind of thing.

I'm sure you all understand that.

#38141 - 08/12/04 10:20 PM Re: On becoming a Writer...
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I understand totally Sistah Shurree...

We dont' choose writing, it chooses us. It's like a magnificent obsession! I'm in love with writing. Well that, Oreo's, and Sam Elliot....

what?

JJ

#38142 - 08/13/04 02:16 AM Re: On becoming a Writer...
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Back in school, I was always writing: writing the lessons the teacher taught us that day, even if it was on the closet doors in my room (with chalk).

I wrote little poems, greeting card material; and I recall writing a never-ending love story in my early teens. I just lost most of my writing, because we were always moving.

During summers I would write the longest letters to my girlfriends, I mean HUGE!

After I got married, it all wound down. I stopped writing. Hmmm... I wonder why [Confused] ?

I did miss writing, but I always kind of ignored the whole thing until recently.

Now, how I wished I had written about my kids, and so many other experiences [Frown] !!

[Razz] Now I do feel it's a must!!! But I mostly write to encourage and inspire others.

#38143 - 08/13/04 03:36 AM Re: On becoming a Writer...
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
When I was a kid I used to start writing these really great stories, that I was sure we're going to be great novels, and then I'd get bored with them and quit [Smile] which is why I totally admire authors who write novels when the longest thing I can manage is a short, short story....

As a teenager, full of a great deal of the usual teenage angst, I wrote a lot of poetry.

Then I fell in love, got married, had kids, lost the angst and developed sleep deprivation [Wink] and didn't have time for a whole lot of writing.

The writing flame was rekindled when I became involved in editing our church newsletter, and decided I needed to do a really good job of it, so I had to take a writing course, and the rest is history...

I enjoy the writing, I'm thrilled to death when something I write gets published somewhere (anywhere) and I really glow when someone tells me they like something I've written.

I'm only starting to really let myself call myself a "writer" now.

Its a crazy, frustrating, fulfilling, passion consuming obsession that we writers have, isn't it?

#38144 - 08/13/04 04:49 AM Re: On becoming a Writer...
lalapaloosa Offline

Loc: Winters, California
How interesting! You all have such interesting stories to tell. I am feeling like the only non-writer here (not that I am feeling left out or any of that nonsense). It was fun reading all the posts.

Man, I want some chocolate cookies and milk!
And I wish it was white gravy Wednesday at KFC because I didn't make it to white gravy Wednesday yesterday...
Not doing well on my diet...can ya tell?
Chicken...I want fried chicken..gimmee fried chicken. I don't want any of those little weasly green salads. I want chicken and gravy and mashed potatoes and corn on the cob and then maybe some weasly green salad. And then! A big old piece of ripe watermelon....I think I need to eat dinner, but...

I digress.

Cousin Chatty, thank you for two things:
1. Always being ready to put in a plug for my illustrating...you sweet thing you.
2. Inviting me to be a part of Boomers.

(kisses and hugs)

#38145 - 08/13/04 02:36 PM Re: On becoming a Writer...
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
LALA, you are sooo important to this board. Not only are you witty, charming, and hold great insights, but you are an illustrator for pete's sake! I would sell my left boob to be able to draw period! My stick people don't even like themselves. I admire anyone with that kind of talent.

Soooo....what I'm saying is you don't have to be a writer to be here OR an illustrator or anything thing else for that matter. You just gotta be a woman (see? the word says WHOA MAN)and you gotta abide by the golden rule...Do unto da Queen, like well, like...she's royalty. WHAT? Okay...okay...

SO GLAD YOU ARE HERE! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

JJ

#38146 - 08/13/04 05:14 PM Re: On becoming a Writer...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
You know JJ the more I think about it the more I have to agree with you, I think somehow writing chooses us, not vice-a versa....Very deep!

#38147 - 08/13/04 05:19 PM Re: On becoming a Writer...
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Lala: You are special because you are a women. The illustrator in you is a plus! No need to be a writer [Smile] !

Evie: Thanks for inadvertently anwsering some of my questions, regarding why I didn't write much after I got married and had kids, one right after the other (talk about sleep depravation [Roll Eyes] , huh?) At least I don't feel as guilty now [Big Grin] .

#38148 - 08/13/04 08:53 PM Re: On becoming a Writer...
Evie Offline

It's all about "seasons of life" or "a time and purpose for everything" - now as my boys are older, more independent and pretty much sleep through the night (its just getting them to go to bed) [Wink] I have more time to be creative [Smile]

you gotta embrace the season of life you're in!

#38149 - 08/13/04 08:55 PM Re: On becoming a Writer...
Evie Offline

ok folks, just reading lala's post again - someone want to explain to me what is "white gravy"????

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved