The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 162 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#38119 - 07/28/04 06:43 PM Re: On becoming a Writer...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Smile, I agree with JJ that you'd make a great life coach. [Smile]

#38120 - 07/28/04 06:53 PM Re: On becoming a Writer...
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Smile, I'm kinda new to this field but...

My very personal opinion regarding your motives or reason for writing: [Confused] That's something only you and God know [Smile] .

Do you feel your purpose as a writer has been accomplished?

I've read that a writer should strive to write something every day. But... it doesn't mean that if you don't write daily you're not a writer.

Writing could be like any other hobbies: In my case, I have not done any crochet for some time. I still love it and will go back to it any time. The same goes for flower arranging and other crafts I love. But each activity gives me insights and helps me grow in one way or another.

Maybe you need to give yourself some time... Maybe a change in scenery helps. Don't give up on yourself or your work. Stay positive! I'm sure the muse will pay you a visit when you least expect [Big Grin] !!! NEVER GIVE UP!

By the way, you have a great website! And from other threads I gather that you have your husband's support in this. That is a blessing!

Hope this helps a bit.
I'm sure the experienced writers will have much more to offer.

#38121 - 07/28/04 09:15 PM Re: On becoming a Writer...
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Thank you Songbird. Your words do help.
As writers, do we have a choice? It seems as if we are compelled to write just as painters are compelled to paint and crafters are compelled to craft. Maybe we are all created to "create." God created us in His image and He is the great creator. ??

I've always heard that one should write to express, rather than to impress. When I submitted my thesis and began the editing required by the thesis committee, for the first time I had to write to impress.
Now with submiting my work, I would have to write to impress and I fear it. I'm not sure anything I have to say is that impressive anyway, especially after I have edited it in an attempt to get it good enough to submit to someone I have to impress. ??
smile

#38122 - 07/28/04 09:40 PM Re: On becoming a Writer...
Songbird Offline

Smile:

I totally agree with you on creating. Our Creator gave us the capacity to "create", in a smaller scale, of course. Only He can create something out of nothing.

It's up to us to use it for His glory or not.

I understand your point of view in writing to impress (publishers and so on...)

Maybe if you view if differently... as writing to "touch" [Smile] , instead of "impress" it'll help?

And then, remember that for everything there is a process that must be followed. If we want to get published in certain publication, we must follow their guidelines and comply.

The way I see it, as long as it is not in conflict with my beliefs, as long as it will not dishonor my Creator, as long as my words can touch someone and/or inspire them in some positive way... it might be worth it!

I know how awful it is to have to start over when [Frown] you know you've done your best(crafting is a teacher)!

I guess, as writers, we need to understand that just because a publisher wants it a certain way, doesn't mean our original work isn't good. It just doesn't serve their purpose or agenda at the time [Smile] ? What doesn't work for one, may very well be "just what the Dr. ordered" for another.

Don't be so harsh on yourself and don't doubt that God gave you a wonderful gift!

Happy writing!

#38123 - 07/29/04 12:48 AM Re: On becoming a Writer...
smilinize Offline

quote:
Originally posted by Sugaree:
Smile, I agree with JJ that you'd make a great life coach. [Smile]

Sugaree and JJ, Are you guys smoking something?

Wait a minute... What am I saying? Of course I can be a life coach. I could send you guys out there to get tackled and I could sit on the bench and yell directions. If things worked out, I could carry the trohpy.

I'm getting into this life coach thingy. Yep. I could do it.
smile

#38124 - 07/29/04 12:55 AM Re: On becoming a Writer...
smilinize Offline

quote:
Originally posted by Songbird:
Only He can create something out of nothing.

Thank you songbird. Those are very helpful words.
Writing is probably the artform closest to God's own creativity. God "spoke" the universe into existence and "in the beginning was the word," etc. When you paint or sculpt or craft, you have a material thing created by God with which to work. In writing, you only have the creativity God has placed in your mind.
smile

#38125 - 07/29/04 01:56 AM Re: On becoming a Writer...
Songbird Offline

quote:
Originally posted by smilinize:

Writing is probably the artform closest to God's own creativity. God "spoke" the universe into existence and "in the beginning was the word," etc. When you paint or sculpt or craft, you have a material thing created by God with which to work. In writing, you only have the creativity God has placed in your mind.
smile

Smile: I love the way you put it! I was writing something similar in my previous reply, but erased it... post was too long?

Anyway... Words are a beautiful and powerful gift from God. They can either help heal [Smile] or sicken others. They can build or destroy [Frown] . So, why not strive to create a positive influence with our God-given words?

[ July 28, 2004, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Songbird ]

#38126 - 07/29/04 02:26 AM Re: On becoming a Writer...
smilinize Offline

Songbird,
Thank you for helping me to understand the role of God in writing.
Your post reminded me how lonely our world would be without the Bible. If the men who wrote it down had not been inspired of God or if they had refused to write, we would be so lost here.
smile

#38127 - 07/29/04 04:39 AM Re: On becoming a Writer...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Now Smile, that was a beautiful way to view it "...if the men that wrote the scripture had not been inspired to write..."

Now, if that's not inspiration, what is?

Chatty, on the single tip: I finally went out somewhere yesterday. I met a man that was obviously one of those fast talking 'lady's man' type. I had to laugh and think about what you said about them. I was standing in line behind him thinking to myself how handsome he was. Most be those raging hormones Smile talked about. Well, he came over to me, struck up a conversation and started talking about HIM and ONLY HIM. All of the ways he can/will please his woman if he had one... He was like a sack of raging testerone! I actually saw him as poison. I stepped away from the snake. Proudly. I'm almost sure that God hadn't sent that one. Does He test us with temptation?

Sugaree

#38128 - 07/29/04 05:46 PM Re: On becoming a Writer...
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I don't think God had anything to do with that guy approaching you!!! [Big Grin] Too bad there isn't a Graemlin for puking! Gross, gross, gross. Every woman's nightmare from a single's bar!

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved