The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 162 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#38089 - 07/26/04 04:10 AM On becoming a Writer...
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
When did you decide to be a writer and What inspired you to become a writer? [Confused] :

#38090 - 07/26/04 05:55 AM Re: On becoming a Writer...
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I say you learn to write in the second grade and after that it's all editing.

Actually when I was a junior in high school, the English/math/PE teacher asked me to write a musical and eventhough I had never been to the theater or seen a musical, I did it. The musical was a hit so I did it again the next year and I have been doing it every chance I get since. All that simply because a teacher believed I could.

I never considered myself a writer until the late seventies when I sent an article to MS Magazine and they published it. I bought an electric typewriter with the money and decided to become a writer. Sometimes I wonder if I took that first publication too seriously.
smile

#38091 - 07/26/04 12:08 PM Re: On becoming a Writer...
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
I've been writing since I was a teen - but was a "closet writer" for years before I had enough faith in my work to even SHOW it to anyone! But my serious writing began when I retired from working full-time. I got a computer and discovered the venue of ezines - submitted some of my poetry and short stories and they were well-received. That inspired me to try what I'd "secretly" always wanted to do which was write my own mystery novel. I guess I'd held it all inside so long that it was really "ready" to be written because it only took me three months to write it.

In answer to the question WHY I became a writer - it was not only to express some of my inner feelings in a creative way....but also perhaps to prove something to myself. [Wink]

#38092 - 07/26/04 02:10 PM Re: On becoming a Writer...
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I began my writing career when my Daddy got sick and was diagnosed with Lewy-Body Dementia. The medical community was uninformed about this new dementia, as was the general public. So I decided to develop a brochure for families that were faced with LBD. After I did, I gave them to families I knew needed the information, and word got around I had literature on the disease. The State of Ala asked to have it, so I gave it to them to put on file.

Then I felt the need to speak out more and wrote an article on it, sent it in to a local magazine. Two days later they called and wanted to print it. AND PAY ME! I said to myself, "People get paid to do this?" hm... They also asked if I had anything else. I lied and said, "oh yeah, plenty." They said send it in for review. I said, "huh?" So I quickly sat down at lunch, wrote about what I had done that very day, which was overeating at a buffet. "Puffy, the Buffet Slayer." They asked for more and the next thing I know, I'm writing for them monthly. Now I am their beloved humorist. Uh huh...sure am. Beloved. That's me all right. Every month they say, "Hey..girlfriend..we would LOVE for you to get your stuff here on time, k?" SEE? [Big Grin]

After relaxing with this gig, I ventured out into the internet and entered my Lunch Hour Specials into contest, other writing sites, etc. I picked up another column at Universal Publications, but after about six months, I dropped that column. I didn't like having to beg to get paid.

They say that everyone has a talent. I've always wondered what my niche was in the world, and now I feel that it's writing. Some would argue that I'm wrong and need to stick with budget analyses...Like my boss. HA! Fat chance...

I live, breathe and eat a lot when I'm writing and I would rather be writing than doing anything in this entire world. I write so much my family is gun-shy about talking to me. Nothing is sacred either. If my Mom calls and says, "you know, my hemmroids are killing me...she usually adds, AND DON'T YOU GO WRITING ABOUT IT EITHER!" Of course I make her no guarantees...

Soooo...in closing I just want to thank everybody who made this possible...I did win something, right? [Razz]

JJ

#38093 - 07/26/04 03:02 PM Re: On becoming a Writer...
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I began writing in earnest around the age of 32. I wanted to make a difference, make my voice known and create something of value.

With God's help, I think I have and to Him goes the glory!

#38094 - 07/26/04 03:12 PM Re: On becoming a Writer...
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I was an author before I became a writer. I've always done everything backward [Big Grin]

#38095 - 07/26/04 05:32 PM Re: On becoming a Writer...
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Dianne,
Help me out here...how does one become an author before they are a writer? Yes, I'm partially blonde...why do you ask?
[Big Grin]
JJ

#38096 - 07/26/04 08:36 PM Re: On becoming a Writer...
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
[Cool] Smilinize- great to know a teacher believed in you! I bet that alone has made a big difference!

[Wink] Pam- closet writer... and a mystery novel in just 3 months!!! Wow, girl. Good going!

[Razz] JJ-Writing about your father's disease... Have you considered writing a book about that disease altogether? If there isn't much info in a handy format, a book would definitely help so many! And I loved your article-"Puffy, the buffet slayer"

[Smile] Toni- "writing to make a difference" ... so inspiring; "giving God the glory", wonderful response!

[Confused] Dianne- "Author before writer"? I too need help grasping this one... please, help us out.

Looking back... I've always loved to write,but never dreamed I'd become a writer. I wrote a few poems as a teenager (Closet writer too). After that, through life's ups and downs... Many times felt the urge to write, but resisted it... I never wanted to write sad and/or negative experiences and/or feelings.

I slowly got back into writing due to my leadership in church: As the need arose for a variety of programs and different materials, I started writing youth and adult material that I used; as well as poetry and eventually many songs.

Still, did not consider myself a writer.

After some time, pastors, friends, church members, etc., urged me to make my writing available to them and others.

Now, I'm commited to this work. I have a purpose. Writing to inspire is my goal. Praising God for what he's done for me, in me, and through me is what fuels me. All I've done, or will ever be able to do, I owe it to my Lord!

Words can build or destroy. I pray my words help build a better world, for the glory of God.

[ July 26, 2004, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Songbird ]

#38097 - 07/26/04 08:44 PM Re: On becoming a Writer...
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

You know...Ms Evie needs to be in here. She just completed a book she wrote as a fund raiser for her church. She sent me and a few others her book and girls, it is soooo nice. So professional looking too. Course I expected that from Ms E...that's her style. It's poems and inspirational stories.

Songbird, you need to talk to Evie when she gets back from vacation. You could share ways to express yourself thru your writing and you might want to do the same thing for your church she did. Wouldn't that be cool?

JJ

#38098 - 07/26/04 08:50 PM Re: On becoming a Writer...
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I'm online to avoid work - as usual - so I thought I would answer for Dianne. Hey, she's probably somewhere ""Working"".

A while back, I printed business cards for my critique group. I put everyone's title as what they dreamed of being.

Some were poets, some were playwrights, etc. At first I put the title "Writer" on those with no specialty, but I changed it to "Author" because someone pointed out thaht all the members were published and a writer writes while an Author 'has written' and most important 'been published.'

I would say both Dianne and I were published before we considered ourselves writers. Someone else decided I was an author. I write a lot, but I'm still not sure I am a writer. Semantics I suppose.
smile

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved