The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#37056 - 05/09/06 08:08 PM reading
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I know lots of the women in here love to read. How much time do you spend reading each week? I'm just curious.

I seem to go in spurts depending on the season. I definitely read more in the winter months.

#37057 - 05/09/06 08:29 PM Re: reading
Val Offline

Loc: Pa.
I try to read everyday as it is so much fun. Sometimes I can only sit for five minutes and sometimes for a couple hours. I almost always read a chapter or two before I fall asleep. Reading is more important to me than art.

#37058 - 05/09/06 10:06 PM Re: reading
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I'm the same as Dotsie. I definitely read more in the winter. I love to read at night but lately I fall asleep too fast to enjoy what I'm reading.
I guess my answer to the question would be that I don't spend as much time per week reading as I'd like to.

#37059 - 05/10/06 01:40 AM Re: reading
downdog Offline

Loc: kansas
I love to read! I usually go in spurts also. Get started and read a couple of books in a row then take a break. I read during all seasons and some of my favorite vacations are spent with a good day or two of just lying around reading. It's also a great way to go to sleep at night or to get back to sleep if I wake up in the middle of the night.

#37060 - 05/10/06 03:53 PM Re: reading
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
I'm a big-time reader....always have been since the old "Nancy Drew Mysteries" days. It's my favorite way to relax - especially now that I'm not feeling well enough to work in the garden (which is REALLY my first love!). My hubby is a big reader too and we often spend the day in our library at home reading together.

#37061 - 05/10/06 04:45 PM Re: reading
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Aha, lots of readers. Just as I thought.

Val, reading is more important to me than TV!

TVC, I've been exhausted too and find myself dozing while trying to read. Is it spring that's doing it?

downdog, while vacationing with my son a month ago, I read two books and he read three. Vacations are for reading!

Pam, I am sorry you aren't feeling well. I'm glad you have a hubby who shares your hobby though. What a dream to read with your hubby in your home library. Sounds so peaceful and cozy. Are there any books you could read that might give you a boost these days? Hmmm....

#37062 - 05/10/06 05:07 PM Re: reading
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Pam, Nancy Drew reminded me of my first favorite series of books. I may have asked this before,(don't remember) Does anyone else remember The Happy Hollister's series of books? It was about a large family who solved mysteries. I was in their book club and used to recieve 2 a month. I remember being so excited when my package arrived and then had to decide which book to read first.

[ May 10, 2006, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: TVC15 ]

#37063 - 05/11/06 01:58 AM Re: reading
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Dotsie, I think just about the only "boost" I can think of that would help is finishing these treatments - but that won't be for another ten months or so.....LOL But I'm hanging in there.

Since I love reading so much, just about EVERYTHING that I read gives me the joy that I've always gotten from reading so it matters not what type of story it is (although I prefer mysteries!!).

Reading is a wonderful escape....especially if you aren't feeling 100% !!

TVC I don't recall that series but it sounds like a really great idea - similar to Nancy Drew but involving a whole family....what fun. I'll have to look around when I'm in the used book stores to see if I can find any of them.

#37065 - 05/11/06 04:45 AM Re: reading
almostangel Offline

Loc: Kansas City
I love to read but more often then not when I start reading a good book, something or someone requires my assistance and I get sidetracked. I have found that the best way for me to read a book is to volunteer to read to one of the residents in the assisted living facility.

#37066 - 05/11/06 08:43 AM Re: reading
downdog Offline

Loc: kansas
Pam, a home library-awesome! My hubby and I both read alot and a home library sure sounds cozy and sweet.

I always wonder what I should do with my books after I'm done. Of course I keep the really good ones, but there are so many...I garage sale alot of them or give them away. I should go to the public library to check out my books, but I like to read them in the tub, while I eat, on the porch with the front book covers bent over... Anyway, I don't think the library wants them back that way!

I've not heard of the series you're refering to TVC, but I like mysteries also. I remember the Meg Ryan mystery series. I loved those. Still like mysteries.

What other kinds of books do you guys like to read?

#37067 - 05/12/06 09:35 PM Re: reading
Dotsie Offline
Founder

downdog, one of the hardest things Mom had to do when they moved out of thier home was get rid of her books. I can totally relate. I can't imagine parting with some of mine. I'm also tough on them. I write in them, underline, you name it. then it helps me when I go back later to browse them again.

I love books about women at midlife. I love anthologies. Other's stories speak to me. I love inspirational books, books about Christianity. I also love non-fiction books about kids, teens, young adults. I like fiction books set at the beach. I also like books about writing.

How about everyone else.

What's everyone reading now?

#37068 - 06/08/06 07:55 AM Re: reading
Old Knitter Offline

I joined a book group and I love it. There are only six of us and we all read the same book then get together and hash it over. As we all take turns choosing a book you are forced into reading books you might not normally pick. If you really love reading try forming a small club.

#37069 - 06/08/06 12:09 AM Re: reading
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Oh my, I love to read too.....all kinds of books. I try to read for at least a couple of hours every evening. I use to keep all the books that I've read, thinking I would reread them again at another time. But one day I decided that would probably never happen because there was always another new book to read. So I gathered up my boxes and boxes of books and took them to the library for others to enjoy. It was hard to let go of my books, but I have made use of the library for many a year so I thought that would be a good place to donate them to. [Smile]

~Cookie~

#37070 - 06/08/06 08:36 PM Re: reading
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I love to read and I love books. I just can't seem to part with them once I get my hands on them. I have bookcases overflowing with books, and on every available space I have piles of books. Some I've read, some I still have to read. My to be read (TBR) pile is so big I can't see the end of it.

I keep a running list of all the books I read on my forum http://www.vickimtaylor.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

#37071 - 06/09/06 12:04 AM Re: reading
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
I'm with you Vicki, I have tons of books on my to read list, and we have a roomfull of books. I have started putting a few on e-bay and I have sold some at garage sales too. I can't seem to get rid of them easily, I searched for over 30 years for a book I had as a child and had to get rid of during one of our many moves.

Does anyone remember the Boxcar children? I loved that series! and of course Nancy Drew! I try to read a little every day, but like writing, sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't.

Sherri

#37072 - 06/09/06 12:29 AM Re: reading
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I remember the boxcar children! I think I even had to do a book report on it in school. Wow, that seems like a life time ago....I think it was. [Smile]

#37073 - 06/09/06 01:25 AM Re: reading
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
I love to read, but definitely get more reading done in the winter months. It's light here until past 10, and too hard to settle down earlier with a book [Smile]

I have a big pile of books to get through, and unfortunately keep adding to them but right now am reading Maya Angelou - "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" and "Writing from Life" - Susan Wittig Albert.

I keep a list in my journal of books read - title, author, # of pages, fiction, non-fiction and a brief comment on whether I liked it or not. It's interesting at the end of the year to go over the list and see how much/little you did read!

#37074 - 06/09/06 01:53 AM Re: reading
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Sherri, I loved reading about the Boxcar children. And the Toby Joins the Circus series.

Right now, I'm reading THE HOT FLASH CLUB by Nancy Thayer. I've only finished the first chapter. So I really can't tell you too much about it.

#37075 - 06/09/06 04:07 AM Re: reading
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Too busy reading manuscripts now to read anything already published but I feel special to see someones work before anyone else gets to...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved