The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#3691 - 01/15/03 04:15 AM Childhood Obesity
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
I work for an education association and it seems like we can't stop hearing about this epidemic of children getting more and more overweight. We get all kinds of reports from the ADA (American Diabetes Assciation) and the American Academy of Pediatrics or other meidcal associations telling us about the proliferation of Tyoe 2 diadetes, heart problems, etc.. that children now have thanks to their poor diets and inactivity. The Surgeon General in mid 2002 declared a "war" on childhood obesity and overweightness. The reason why our association is so engrossed in it is because of the need to change cafeteria selections, the need to bring back recess and physical education in schools (Many schools do not do these two things anymore because of the need to meet more standards.), and the need to teach about nutrition in schools.

I was wondering what you all thought about the childhood obesity concerns. Do you all see this in the children you know? Do you think schools should do more? What should parents do? Do you think that focusing on weight in young children will only make matters worse for eating disorders and weight issues as they get older?

My feeling is that it is a problem, but that we need to get children into physical activities and better eating habits rather than looking at it in terms of weight. The losing weight craze starts way too young now as it is and I fear that focusing this issue on weight rather than health will distort what children already think about body image and self esteem.

#3692 - 01/15/03 04:36 PM Re: Childhood Obesity
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
When I was about 10 I suddenly ballooned into a little blimp. My daughter has now done the same thing. In my case, once menstruation started, I slimmed down almost instantly. I hope that is the case with my daughter. She is active, plays sports year round and swims and bikes all summer.
Yet still she is overweight. Her meal eating habits are excellent...unfortunately she's a snacker. I have nutritious snacks in the house but she prefers the wrong ones. I do worry as I don't want her to begin this weight gain/ loss cycle that I've struggled with all of my life. And at the middle school age, girls are so sensitive. I'm afraid to belabor the point as I've known many girls this age who become bulemic or anorexic.

#3693 - 01/15/03 09:52 PM Re: Childhood Obesity
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. My daughter is a Type 2 diabetic. She was diagnosed a couple years ago by her pediatricain who is an incredible diagnostician. It was diagnosed through blood work that the doctor ordered because of reoccurring infections.

Fortunately, my husband is a Type 1 diabetic so we are very familiar with the disease. While she is our adopted daughter and the genes aren't there from US(even though we have them), it is hereditary. By the grace of God, she has a disease that FREAKS many out, but because she has grown up watching her dad test and inject several times a day...it is second nature. God is good!

Our daughter does a commendable job controlling her diabetes. Every time we get her blood results she is in the perfect range, but...it isn't easy for a teenager. Everywhere she goes there is JUNK FOOD! ALL parties, get togethers, dances, trips to the mall, social activities are centered around food. How can we change this?

This is a girl who has grown up witnessing healthy eating habits. We have always talked to our kids about eating healthy foods and we have provided them. We also eat our share of junk food, but as children we would give them a little baggy of snacks as opposed to letting them sit in front of the tube with a bag of chips, candy, etc.

We are also a VERY active family. Always running to some sports activity, practice, game, etc. My daughter swims, played soccer, basketball, gym class, you get the picture. Unfortunately for her it is genetic.

Her doctor told her that if she lost 20 pounds she wouldn't have to test her blood every day or be too concerned with her diabetes. I can't imagine her 20 pounds lighter. I think she looks good now!

Where am I going with this?
Weight and inactivity definitely play into this. The youth of today are way too sedintary. All of the cable channels, videos, computers, etc. can never replace the good old days of playing outdoors!

Also, the super-size everything is out of control! Our portions are huge. There are way too many candy, chips, fried food options today.

We need to get the kids outside and eating healthier, no doubt!

If anyone has questions about Diabetes, feel free to email me. My husband has been an insulin dependent diabetic for twentysome years and my daughter a Type 2 Diabetic for a couple.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved