The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 124 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#3680 - 12/13/02 04:19 PM News Blackout!
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
For a few months last year I had a self imposed news black out. I cancelled the paper and stopped watching the news. I found myself sinking into depression and being constantly anxious about all of the bad news. I spent more time reading and writing in my journal. I felt better pretty quickly. But news has crept back into my life....and it isn't any better than it was last year. The broadcasts last evening about the two children, one missing for days whose body was found, apparently murdered by the mother's boyfriend and one tortured and starved to death.
As a mother I am horrified. As a human being I am dismayed. If as an adult, I can not handle or process this information, how can we expect our children to? Remember when we were kids and had school assignments re: current affairs? Frankly, I don't want my children reading the paper or watching the news....the current affairs are just sickening. I think I'll return to my black out....there just isn't enough paxil in the world to help me deal with the anxiety that tv brings into my house.

#3681 - 12/16/02 11:26 PM Re: News Blackout!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I love the blackout idea. Murders, accidents, rapes, etc. seem to be multiplying! I am going to give this blackout a try but this is my problem...don't ask me where I got this from but I have this thing about watching the weather at 11:00. For some reason I like to know what the weather is going to be for the next few days. I like hearing the local guys/gals give their version. However, what I don't like about the news is that they don't put the weather on until 11:15 or so. Like a goofball I end up hearing all the rotten stuff and often doze during the weather. Maybe this blackout will move me to dial the weather recording and get to bed earlier too! I will keep you posted! I also have to get my husband to buy into it. He despises the disgusting stories but he tries to stay awake for the sports... and ends up dozing too! If they could just put the weather and sports on first!

#3682 - 12/20/02 06:52 PM Re: News Blackout!
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
The weather channel is on 24/7 -- with your local weather on the 8's (08,18,28 etc) of the hour -- at least in our area and they only tell you the weather ;-)

ESPN is the sports news and nothing but the sports news --

AND if you don't have cable to get these stations - do what I have done -- watch the news one time and note the time the weather and sports are on -- they do it every night at the same time -- and click over to the news at those times.

In between -- play with your pets, kids, hubby -- knit, sing, write -- anything that makes you smile inside -- and let the world roll on ---

because I've noticed one thing -- even missing the news and all the bad in the world -- the sun still rose in the morning ;-)

[ December 20, 2002, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: lionspaaw ]

#3683 - 12/21/02 04:23 PM Re: News Blackout!
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
One thing to keep in mind is that news media in this country are businesses out to make a profit. TV knows that its ratings go up when it broadcasts sensational stories. Ont the other hand, public TV and radio are non-commercial and don't have to satisfy advertisers. I _only_ attend to news on these stations and consider local news to be junk. Another thing -- if you go to a public library and look at newspapers from the 1800s, you'll find many of the same stories that shock us today. The thing is that the definition of news includes things that are out of order, extra-ordinary, not run of the mill stuff. I think it's all of our duty to be informed about what's going on, and to ask for the important information _expecially_ women and especially mothers! Why don't we know what goes on in city and town councils? What about the bills that are pending? These aren't on TV because viewers find them boring, but this is information we need to govern ourselves. I said this in my post about children and TV -- the airwaves belong to the public -- I learned this on the playground, and it's still true today. Why have we let the advertisers take control? TV doesn't care about our children. I sometimes wonder whether sugar cereal would even exist if TV didn't advertise directly to children? Did you all know that when the FCC asked TV stations to increase their educational broadcasts, the stations got away with calling "The Flintstones" and "The Jetsons" educational? (I'm not making this up!)

#3684 - 12/21/02 04:24 PM Re: News Blackout!
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
One thing to keep in mind is that news media in this country are businesses out to make a profit. TV knows that its ratings go up when it broadcasts sensational stories. Ont the other hand, public TV and radio are non-commercial and don't have to satisfy advertisers. I _only_ attend to news on these stations and consider local news to be junk. Another thing -- if you go to a public library and look at newspapers from the 1800s, you'll find many of the same stories that shock us today. The thing is that the definition of news includes things that are out of order, extra-ordinary, not run of the mill stuff. I think it's all of our duty to be informed about what's going on, and to ask for the important information _expecially_ women and especially mothers! Why don't we know what goes on in city and town councils? What about the bills that are pending? These aren't on TV because viewers find them boring, but this is information we need to govern ourselves. I said this in my post about children and TV -- the airwaves belong to the public -- I learned this on the playground, and it's still true today. Why have we let the advertisers take control? TV doesn't care about our children. I sometimes wonder whether sugar cereal would even exist if TV didn't advertise directly to children? Did you all know that when the FCC asked TV stations to increase their educational broadcasts, the stations got away with calling "The Flintstones" and "The Jetsons" educational? (I'm not making this up!)

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved