The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 150 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#36547 - 08/20/04 05:07 PM gardening...help!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
When is the best time to transplant rose bushes?

I also have some zinia bulbs that need to be moved. I planted them on a slight hill and they are falling over because they've gotten so tall. When can I move them?

Thanks for the help!

#36548 - 08/20/04 06:17 PM Re: gardening...help!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
My guess is that DJ could answer that. She is our resident expert in the gardening arena...I'm sorry I can't contribute any advice here. I'm still fitting the weeds in the flower-bed thing.

JJ

#36549 - 08/21/04 02:25 AM Re: gardening...help!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Once had nearly 75 Rose bushes and found the best time to plant or transplant was when the branches were bare, in Fall. Worked for me. You can stake the zinnias until and if you plan on moving them. I never moved anyhthing alive always waited till they were asleep, soto speak and that worked for me at least in the rich saol in Illinois. Here we have clay, sand, leachy and NO good dirt so I have gravel instead of lawn and NO flowers. I do have 4 gigantic flowering Oleandor bushes. Can't kill them if you'd try. [Eek!]

#36550 - 08/21/04 03:49 PM Re: gardening...help!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Chatty, I've staked them for now and it's working. I just want to move them for next year because I think they'l do much better on flatter ground. I'm going to put them where the rose bushes are so I'm thinking fall will be a good time for both.

What a rose garden. I bet your home smelled lovely! Did you cut them and take them in the house? That's one of my simple pleasures in life...cutting flowers and bringing them indoors! [Wink]

#36551 - 08/21/04 05:05 PM Re: gardening...help!
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Do you mean dahlias? Zinnias are annuals so you usually grow them from seed. Just plant them somewhere else next year.

As chatty says, you transplant roses when they're dormant. Early spring is best, after the ground thaws. Make sure to dig a big hole and enrich the soil before planting in a new, sunnier spot with good air circulation.

The big problem around here with roses is black spot -- and that happens because of the high heat and humidity. You can avoid it somewhat if you give the rose plenty of room between it and the wall so the air circulates around it. I have too much shade for roses, but have roses anyway, and I never spray, which the experts say you really must do in this climate. Consequently, most summers after the initial blooms, one of my roses gets black spot and ALL the leaves fall off, so I'm left with green thorny branches. Because it's been a cooler summer, though, this year wasn't so bad.

[ August 21, 2004, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: DJ ]

#36552 - 08/22/04 12:56 AM Re: gardening...help!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My home did smell nice but not from the roses, in front of each window all around the house were large Lilac bushes filled with blossoms and the air around the home and inside as well smelled like Lilacs. My Rose bushes were out back planted in rows with slab stones between them so people could come see them and snip off a few. I always had a large vase of roses and one with Lilacs in my ex's tavern and sometimes the guys would bring their wives to the house to see the flowers. Our yard sloped down to the pier and into the lake and sometimes boaters would go by and take pictures of my beautiful rose garden near the lake. [Razz]

#36553 - 08/22/04 03:53 PM Re: gardening...help!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Chatty, sounds like a dream house to me!

Dj, you're right. They are dahlias. I didn't realize they got so tall. I'm moving them and gettingmore bulbs so I can have a bigger section. I love those flowers. They're great for cutting.

I have the same problem with the roses. Did someone say you can plant garlic under them to prevent black spot?

#36554 - 08/23/04 12:28 AM Re: gardening...help!
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Dots,
keep in mind that dahlias are rather tender around here -- not guaranteed to return. You need to plant them in a protected location, but even so, they might not make it through a rough winter.

Usually companion plants like mint, marigold and garlic, keep pests away, like aphids or other insects. But the aromas of any of those plants aren't enough to keep fungi and mold away!

#36555 - 08/26/04 10:17 PM Re: gardening...help!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

DJ, why is it that dahlias don't always come back?

I'd never grown them until this year. They remind me a little of roses because the leaves tend to get the same black spots. Is there anything to spray them with?

I plan on moving the bulbs and buying some more for next year just in case they don't come back. I love cutting them and bringing them in.

[ August 26, 2004, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#36556 - 08/26/04 10:29 PM Re: gardening...help!
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I have Zinnias and 4 huge, I mean, GIANT, sunflower plants! Someone got envious and cut the flower off of the tallest plant and the first one to bloom! (this was overnight! [Eek!] )

The 1st year I was here, someone cut off my three giant sunflowers and my neighbor's too! [Roll Eyes]

What is wrong with people around here [Confused] ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved