The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 144 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#36401 - 02/23/04 06:33 AM Re: what interests you?
Agate Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Julie, I did read the HSP book by Aron and it was one of those "ah hah" moments. Helped me feel better about all the times I've had to take a time out from family get togethers. Unfortunately, my husband's family just thinks I'm antisocial or don't like them.

I'm not sure how to describe the sound and smell of horses. There's the screech they make when they're trying to establish pecking order and warn someone to back off, or the soft, rolling nicker they make when you open the grain bucket, or the clicking of hooves on black top or wood bridges, the crunching of leaves when you ride through the woods, or the hard snorting blowing they do when they smell or hear something that puts them on alert (I wish I had a recording of that one because it's pretty cool sounding, kind of like they're trying to scare whatever it is away, not so cool though when you're riding them), oh, and the kind of lip flapping sound they make after they roll on the ground, umph and groan their way back to their feet, then shake themselves off from head to hoof (that's where the lip flapping sound comes in). Smell is just that warm, earthy smell all animals seem to have. When I was little, I wouldn't let my mom wash my clothes after I'd been riding and I wouldn't wash my hands because I wanted to keep that smell close to me for as long as I could. Now manure, that's a whole other story, but I even like that smell. [Big Grin]

#36402 - 02/23/04 08:16 AM Re: what interests you?
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
Thanks for the horse help. [Smile] This probably sounds really ignorant, but I'm a total novice in the horse world. Would it be true to say that a horse smells stronger/differently after exercise? If you couldn't see, what would be the signs to you that a horse was nearby?

#36403 - 02/23/04 08:20 AM Re: what interests you?
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
I think the point about HSPs and shyness is that it is not something to be cured but an attribute that has positive aspects - although it can be darned inconvenient with people who don't understand.

#36404 - 02/23/04 08:46 AM Re: what interests you?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Also shyness and HSP can be painful. It can be detrimental to success in a career and homelife as well. Hopefully not serious, but painful none the less.

smile

#36405 - 02/23/04 11:48 PM Re: what interests you?
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Awww, MB, you're the first to have waited for an invite! I can't remember the numbers of people who have come here, spent the night, and I didn't know them before they came. I had "net-talked" with them but had never met them. The advantage to calling before you come is you get to claim a bed. Otherwise, you might have to sleep on the floor .

I just assume people can entertain themselves if they visit. They are welcome to do chores with me and, eventually, I'll get back to the house. But...it's a good thing if folks can entertain themselves.

Horse smells - all animals smell it's just that most times humans have overpowered their own sense of smell with artificial scent. Curly horses have a different smell than do other horses. And, Curly horses smell differently after they have exercised. Not bad, just differently. I like the smell of animals. I especially love the smell of the sheep and lambs.

When I'm around the horses and they are agitated, I'll take a very deep breath and sigh loudly. It seems to calm they down and the respond almost immediately. Unless, of course, they are hungry and I have food. Then it's every dog for himself and get out of the way! I've learned the hard way to be extremely careful feeding the herd. It's even dangerous feeding the sheep because they tend to get rowdy. They can hurt but the horses can kill. I know a quad who was trapped under his horse and the horse rolled down the mountain. They were gathering cattle and the accident happened in an instant. Tragic.

#36406 - 02/24/04 02:46 AM Re: what interests you?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Here's a whole whole other look at horses. I wrote it a while back when a friend went hunting for two weeks, with a bunch of other guys, all on horseback.

About that horseback riding stuff. Now there’s a real waste of time. Horses don't have shock absorbers (in case you haven't noticed by now). Furthermore, and this is the worst part, there is no way to send email from a horse. And until there is I say 'let 'em eat grass.'

Personally I learned better than to ride horses a long time ago. When I was a kid about six or seven, my Dad and Grandpa had cows (Now there's a whole other lesson in stupidity). Anyway, in the summertime the ponds dried up and we had to take the cows to the river to drink and we had to ride these disgusting smelly bumpy old horses to get them there (and not only did they have no email they weren't air conditioned either). We only had a few horses and there was a whole bunch of cousins so we had to ride bareback with three or four on a horse. Well, I always got the tail and I gotta' tell you horses have some serious 'flatulence' problems.

I fell off about every day and sometimes the horse would step on my toes. On really bad days they stepped on my fingers. Sometimes all three or four of us would fall off. Then we'd wind up in a tangle of arms and legs and sometimes a fight would break out. We almost couldn't get back on either cause the horse was real tall and we sure didn't have any ladders and they didn't want us on their backs in the first place. It would have been a lot easier to just turn on the faucet and let the cows drink except we didn't have a faucet.

Well when I got big enough to defend myself, I decided I would never ride anything that didn't have nice padded seats, shock absorbers, and air conditioning. Hey, why do you think they invented cars???

Well, now I feel a lot better. I think I'm ridding myself of a lot of hostility here.

Just another point of view and all for fun.
smile

#36407 - 02/24/04 04:56 AM Re: what interests you?
Agate Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I think dampness just makes an animals smell stronger. As for knowing when horses are nearby, you might here them blowing (when they get dust or bugs up their nose). That's another way to tell if horses (or other animals) are near, there's more flies and gnats around. Or the tell tale manure piles.

#36408 - 02/25/04 04:00 AM Re: what interests you?
swimbo56 Offline

Loc: Towson, MD
If we are talking about enjoyable hobbies, I have many. Unfortunately I haven't been able to do alot of them for the past 6 since I developed Chronic Fatigue Syndrome(CFS) and Fibromyalgia. I love to watch sports, TV and in person as well as on the radio, baseball, football, and college basketball, GO DUKE! My son plays the trombone in the pep band. I love to garden! Hard when I ache or have little energy. I love to read, especially romance novels. I also love to do picture puzzles, there are some that are "Impossibles" and the last one was 2000 pieces. I love to play cards but find it hard to find others to play with. I love to bake and cook, but not for myself. I also love to do things with friends, but don't do often as alot have gone to work full time again, and by evening I am ready to bed, and on weekends most are busy with their families. I alos love the outdoors, sailing, boating, biking, walking, rollerblading, etc. One of my favorite summer pasttimes is to listen to an O's game while lying in a hammock reading a romance novel. Oh to be there now, I will dream. All those who love horses, I used to go to our "country cousins" while growing up and ride there. They lived in Howard Co. which at that time was in the country, now it is housing developments along rt 29. I miss that. I loved to ride. Haven't done that for 20-40 years, that makes me old. Instead I get to walk my dog.

#36409 - 02/25/04 05:12 AM Re: what interests you?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
maggie, you mentioned going to a dentist. What you're referring to is called TMJ, basically grinding your teeth at night and getting jaw pain from it. Anyhoo -- been there, done that, had 4 years wearing braces as an adult to realign my bite and hopefully address the situation, and wore a mouth guard when I slept for years. That too didn't work. But thanks for suggesting it.

#36410 - 02/25/04 04:00 PM Re: what interests you?
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Ok My turn:

I work full time although I do not go into the office on Monday but work a few hours at home so my son (5) can stay home with me from pre-school.

I have a nice home with lots of additions (our passion is remodeling) and a wooded park like setting on 3 acres. We tamed these woods 15 years ago.

I love to read but go long stretches when just reading a magazine article is tough.

I try to spend most of my time between my son who I adore and my husband who is going through chemo/radiation therapy after a pancreatic surgery for cancer.

I spend ALOT of time making, attending and following up on doctor's appointments and I am seriously behind on the dentist and gynecologist.

I enjoy the forums to be my base for friendship, support and encouragement.

I love to travel and have until recently been a semi retired nomad. Sometimes I am afraid to start out on a journey 'cause I am not sure I will come home.

I love to cross stitch but have not in years.

I love to garden and landscape.

The beach and the sun are my friends. I must submerse my body in salt water a few times every year or I don't feel right. (must be a carry over from all those salt water baths at sea)

Working on getting closer to my inner self and spiritual side is constant and sometimes an uphill battle.

I am currently moving to downsize that acreage and maintenance and am reassuring my family that this is the right thing to do. My son cried when we traded in the car so he has a tendency to cling to things for comfort.

My life is filled with realtors, builders and mortgage brokers (not to mention the oncologists).Pascking is my second name.

My Mom gets as much of me as there is left. She is a recent widow and is finding her place on earth without her mate. This is a voyage she must take alone but, like the forums, she could use encouragement along they way.

God is always by my side. I don't give Him much airplay in the sense of reading the Bible etc. but we talk frequently throughout the day and we have a good realationship that I value most.

My husband is the love of my life. We have been together for 25 years and each has been a memorable occassion. Would like more time with him.

I also scrapbook for my son. It's not that great but he won't care-it is the memories that matter.

I love auctions and have bought the best stuff there. have not been in a while - I could actually hold one with everything I need to clean out of my house.

I think that sums up what I spend my time doing and a little of what I like.

And after spending so many years at sea with men, I really enjoy the company and support of women. The second half of my life has defintely been female oriented.

Now I must get back to my desk!

Lynn

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved