The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 92 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#3628 - 10/24/05 04:25 PM Re: Homeschooling
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Ten minutes from home will make all the difference in the world. There's much to be said for convenience...and work hours! Three sounds perfect since you have your little guy. Hope you have a great first day! I just said a little prayer for you on your first day.

#3629 - 10/27/05 02:26 AM Re: Homeschooling
DallasGal Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I am not a homeschool mom (yet - anticipate my "free spirit" son will like something more conducive to his normal pace) and I definitely support homeschools, and even have a section on InspiredMoms.com dedicated to homeschool moms and their stories, tips and needs.

What I have found helps homeschool moms/dads is being part of a co-op with other homeschoolers. Most of the time it is referred to as a "Home School Education Association". I know here in Dallas/Ft. Worth we have several of these.

In fact, while my daughter, who attends a private school was on a field trip the HSEA was also on a field trip with their children.

The most successful HomeSchool grads I have seen were ones who got the exposure of many aspects of volunteer work, the arts (theater/music/ballet, etc.) and also participated in sport clubs/groups. In most of the areas in major cities like Dallas/Ft. Worth we have leagues for every sport known. In smaller more rural areas this is not the case and there may need to be some more options given to a HS child.

Whether a parent chooses to homeschool or use a traditional school setting, one thing is common - parents need to be more active and involved in the lives and education of their children.

Personally, I love being a room mom, and volunteering every chance I get at my daughter's school. I know all the staff on a first name basis and know exactly what kind of education my child is getting and what areas of "homework" I need to work on with my child.

It is not the schools job to raise my kids to be great kids - ultimately it is mine as a parent.

#3630 - 10/27/05 06:27 PM Re: Homeschooling
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Dallas you speak the truth.

Ladies, please check out her site. She visits us often, but never promotes herself. And she should! The teens site is new this summer.

Dallas, I enjoyed being a room mom too. Seems like I did it forever, but I'm glad I did. It allowed me the opportunity to see what was going on at school, and to get to know my kid's frineds better. My youngest two are now high school seniors so there's no longer a need to be a room mom. [Roll Eyes]

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved