The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 169 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#3618 - 10/20/05 08:13 PM Re: Homeschooling
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Traditional learning isn't for everyone. Just think of the success some of the troubled kids might have if they were home schooled.

School systems want children to sit still, listen and learn thorugh their ears. This might work for some, but not the majority.

Home schooling tends to focus on all levels of learning, especially those who learn by doing.

#3619 - 10/21/05 04:50 PM Re: Homeschooling
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
I truly wish I had the ability to stay home and home school my son.

My friend, who has 7 kids home schools and they are the best kids I have ever met. They participate in group PE, nursing home visits etc.

My son goes to a parochial school which is the next step from home schooling. At least it is small and everybody knows everybody else. In our area the elementary school has 6 first grade classes and second and so on. The enormity of the school is incredible and as a child I would feel very lost in that large crowd.

My son asks to be home schooled all the time, just wish we could do it.

Lynn

#3620 - 10/21/05 11:41 PM Re: Homeschooling
Not much, you? Offline

Loc: Arkansas
Why can't you?

Usually it's economic reasons. If you have a partner who works, it is usually doable. But it would require lifestyle changes.

If you're the sole source of income, it can still be done. I know lots of women who do it on their own. That lifestyle is not for me, and not for everyone, but it's still possible to homeschool and stay home with your kids and make an income.

NMY

#3621 - 10/21/05 11:42 PM Re: Homeschooling
Not much, you? Offline

Loc: Arkansas
Oh, I just realized you're in Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania has the strictest homeschool laws in the country. They are unfair and they SUCK. I'd move before I tried to homeschool in PA.

NMY

#3622 - 10/21/05 11:56 PM Re: Homeschooling
Lynn Offline

NMY,

I don't know of any in home businesses that provide health insurance for the entire fmily. Hence, I work outside the home.

Lynn

#3623 - 10/22/05 01:01 AM Re: Homeschooling
mn Offline

There are private medical insurances that you can buy for your family if you own your own small business. My family did this for many years. If you make the deductible high it's more affordable--up through last December we paid about $300 per month to cover me, husband and son at 100% once our medical costs in a year were over $4500.

#3624 - 10/22/05 01:45 AM Re: Homeschooling
Dahti Blanchard Offline

Loc: Washington state
Lynn,
Both my husband and I worked outside the home while our kids were growing up and unschooling. It's not easy and not for everyone but we were really fortunate. We also didn't have much money, but it didn't take much money to homeschool. We really didn't ever do a home class where we sat down and taught them. We did take interest in whatever they were interested in and helped find books at the library, programs, tutors (the majority of whom taught for free), outside classes and field trips whenever possible. I worked in a library that allowed my kids to be there when they were young while I worked--I know I was way more fortunate than most people in that situation.
Are you working full time?
Also, remember that even if your child is in public or private school you are also "homeschooling" every day by your input and your interest in the things they're interested in. I am so happy we unschooled, but I've seen kids flourish in all kinds of educational settings particularly when they've gotten encouragement and love from their home life.

Dream of the Circle of Women
by Dahti Blanchard
published May 2004 by Spilled Candy Books
visit: www.dahtiblanchard.com

#3625 - 10/23/05 11:03 PM Re: Homeschooling
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
NMY,

In response to Lynn's post about health insurance. I just purchased a plan that gives deep discounts for health insurance. Don't know if you'd be interested in it.

The company where my hubby works offers health insurance but at a price tag of $600 a month per premiums. The the deductable is $1000.00 a year per person. So, needless to say, we cann't touch such a plan. That is why we found this new plan.

I just signed up for it. It covers all pre existings, dental, vision, hearing, mental health.

If you're interested, I'll send you information on it.

Sandpiper

#3626 - 10/24/05 01:01 AM Re: Homeschooling
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I just read an article in the Sudnay paper about home schooling and sports. Seems as though home schoolers are beginning a fotball league of their own. Until they get enough teams they are playing any high school teams that will play them on the opponents turf because they don't have home fields. Apparently not many states allow home schooled children to play for the local public schools. Anyone know more about this?

#3627 - 10/24/05 04:57 AM Re: Homeschooling
Lynn Offline

Thanks for the insurance info. but unfortunatley, our families health situation warrants a bit more aggressive of a plan that is usaully offered without a group.

Dahti, you are right, schooling is 24 hours a day. (My son sleep walks ha ha!) We spend every afternoon on his homework for about 20 minutes and then telling about his lessons that day. He is also a cub scout and if you ahve had any inolvement with an active pack, you know that it is constant. Every week-end we are off hiking someplace and learning something. Collecting leaves for rubbings etc. Of course, the lesson is in the parental itervention and my son's pack is really phenomenal in their activites and involvement. My husban is an eagle scout and it fits very well with our lifestyle and beliefs I guess.

Yes, I will be working full time starting tomorrow. But off at 3:00 pm and only 10 minutes from home.

Dotsie, my last place of unemplyment played a football league that was home schoolers. They were pretty good and a lot of fun.

Lynn

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved