The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 162 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#3608 - 10/18/05 06:21 PM Homeschooling
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Is that a compound word? Help! Here you go ladies. A forum to share everything you know home, or unschooling.

#3609 - 10/18/05 08:06 PM Re: Homeschooling
Not much, you? Offline

Loc: Arkansas
Thanks for being so accommodating, Dotsie. [Smile]

Whether the word is home schooling or homeschooling depends on which end of the political spectrum you reside in. Strange, isn't it?

There is a certain legal organization that is invested in maintaining legal definitions that require a "school" be created as an entity in the home. They want to have all the perks of claiming their home is a "school", without all that silly separation of church and state stuff. So they culivate that delta between home and school as if it were holy ground.

Folks at the other end...not so much. [Smile]

It's irrelevant in the natural world how the term is spelled. That group could have a point in the legal world, but I don't live there. I do see the "homeschool" more and more in the media, where in years past it was home school.

There are plenty of places to talk about unschooling and homeschooling, so I won't belabor anything here. For those who would like to know what unschooling is, here's a link to a page with all kinds of definitions.

http://www.unschooling.info/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7

It's one of those things that is kind of hard to pin down, exactly, and is more easily defined by what it isn't. I'm happy to answer questions, as long as I'm not attacked.

So, thanks again for starting the topic.

NMY

#3610 - 10/18/05 08:31 PM Re: Homeschooling
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I would never attack a home schooler. I admire you for your courage and patience to educate your children. There are a fair amount of people who home school in this area. Soem home school because their children have learning disabilities, other because they don't want their kids mainstreamed with children who don't share their religious beliefs. Are thes the typical reasons?

#3611 - 10/18/05 09:02 PM Re: Homeschooling
Not much, you? Offline

I didn't think you'd attack a homeschooler. But one never knows who's lurking!

Those are typical for some people. How's that for a vague answer?

There is no one overarching reason, in my opinion. Lots of people start homeschooling for common reasons, but that is rarely the reason they continue.

For instance, I began homeschooling because my son was suspended from school for something I thought was unfair (he wasn't a problem child at all in school, never got in trouble--but this was an injustice). That's not the reason my youngest never went to school, though. We unschool because it's an lifestyle that flows naturally out of our relationship as a family. It's a more autonomous type of life for my sons, which allows them use their innate personal power to determine the course of their lives from an early age (birth, pretty much).

Some hs for religious reasons, some for philosophical, some academic, some political. We do it for entirely selfish reasons. We like our kids. We like being with them and enjoy their company. I only have one at home now, and as many of us know, time is short when raising kids. We blink and they're grown. So yeah, I'm selfish. Being selfish requires very little patience, because I'm doing exactly what I love to do! Be with my kid!

NMY

#3612 - 10/19/05 12:36 AM Re: Homeschooling
Dahti Blanchard Offline

Loc: Washington state
We liked being with our kids too. Our son was in junior high and our daughter in 4th grade when the unschooling started. Our son had one too many times of getting in trouble for reading ahead (really!) of the assigned number of pages. The last straw was getting his grade lowered for reading more than one chapter at a time of "To Kill a Mockingbird" when he'd already read it twice before anyway. One of the many reasons we unschooled was so they could go at whatever pace they felt like. They were also free to travel anytime, both with us and on their own and learned a lot from that. And the socialization bit--NMY, do you get a lot of flack for that? We always laughed when we got hassled for it. Our kids had plenty of friends, of all ages and different backgrounds. That was one of the most amazing things about gatherings of unschoolers that we observed: they treated each other equally no matter what ages they were. We hosted groups ranging from 13 to 21. And, we watched groups with vastly different backgrounds, religions and political ideas talk, debate and question each other with a great deal of curiosity and respect. I'm not saying they were perfect, but I've done a lot of programs and playing for musicals in the local high schools and I've never seen anything like that there.
Washington state law allows parents to issue a homeschool diploma so that's what our kids have. Our son's is a plain piece of paper with the pertinent information on it so his college could have a copy. Our daughter wasn't satisfied with that--her's is on gold paper and bordered by mythologica dragons. That's what her college got a copy of.

Dream of the Circle of Women
by Dahti Blanchard
published May 2004 by Spilled Candy Books
visit: www.dahtiblanchard.com

#3613 - 10/19/05 06:35 PM Re: Homeschooling
Not much, you? Offline

Yes, we used to get the socialization bit. It hasn't come up in a long time, though.

Did you see Dr. Phil yesterday? Some guy was against homeschooling his kid and he said "sure they do fine in academics but the don't do well in groups!" Idiot.

Dr. Phil was an idiot, too...he said studies have shown that there is no difference in socialization skills up to the "8th grade". Huh? He implied that kids should go to high school because they need that stuff. I don't know what his sources were, but what a blanket statement! Crazy.

I really love our unschooling lifestyle!

NMY

#3614 - 10/19/05 09:05 PM Re: Homeschooling
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I only wish this had been an option for me when I was raising my boys. I think you are terrific for homeschooling your children. If I had it to do over, you can bet I would.

JJ

#3615 - 10/19/05 11:38 PM Re: Homeschooling
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I admire those who home school. I believe there is a misconception by many that home schooling is done solely by the parents without any reaching out to others. I know this isn't the fact becuase I have a cousin and some friends who home school. They are involved in a home school association and their kids go to the Y, 4- H and other local groups to take part in learning.

#3616 - 10/20/05 02:18 AM Re: Homeschooling
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My sister home schooled both her two children. She lives in Loveland Colorado where home schooling is taken seriously, she had to have special books and curiculum and she even received compensation from the state.... Her daughter is doing very well in college and her son is a father with his own cnstruction company. They are well rounded and wonderful adults.

#3617 - 10/20/05 06:25 PM Re: Homeschooling
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
I am so glad to know there are women here who have and are home schooling their children.

I home schooled my daughter from 6th grade through 12th. It was the best time of our lives. We started home schooling because the schools were causing problems telling me, because my daughter didn't like the rhetoric of the system, that I was a neglectful mother and could possibly turn me into the Department of Families and Children.

I had already heard about home schooling and was so mad at them for suggesting such a thing that I withdrew her then and there and put her on home school. She was never happier!

At the beginning of 7th grade I attached her to a Christian Academy that only housed her grades and told us what classes she needed to take to be in line with the state system. The school follows the state guidelines for classes so closely that they are listed as a private school. So she was able to get a diploma without any of the red flags popping up that some places do with home schooled kids.

She ended her high school years with a 3.98GPA. She received a state scholarship for her high grades and was able to attend univeristy with no problems.

I still get tired of hearing people put down home schooling and then to try the 'socialization' thing drives me over the edge. I saw Dr. Phil and was so irritated with it I went on his site and left my two-cents worth. My daughter had plenty of friends and socialization.

Glad you all are here. Love home schooling.
Sandpiper

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved