The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 165 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#35477 - 10/05/04 05:35 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dian Offline

Loc: Moundsville, WV
Ted Dekker's books are all great. Can't get enough of his writing. Great website, too, too interact with other readers.

Mystery Series:
Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak Series - Alaskan PI with a pet wolf.

Lee Child's Jack Reacher Series - Very action packed story of an ex Military Policeman who drifts around the world.

Robert Crais's Elvis Cole & Joe Kidd Series - LA Private Detectives with a conscious, except for Joe, who hardly speaks.

Janet Evanovitch's Stephanie Plum books will have you laughing out loud. It's like Lucy and Ethel turn Bounty Hunter.

David Baldacci is another favorite, though for some reason, his last book I couldn't get through.

Just finished Cornwell's "Trace" and thought it was great up until the last chapter. Felt let down, it read like she got bored and tied everything up really fast.

Nevada Barr does a series with Park Ranger Anna Pigeon solving little mysteries. Neat way to learn about the parks.

Christian Fiction Series:
Jan Karon's Mitford series makes me want to move to Blowing Rock. I have read, and re-read this series so many times - anytime I need a pick-me-up.

Perretti's books are great.

Dekker's books fall here, though most read like a thriller.

Left Behind Series - Glorious Appearing was so neat.

Dee Henderson's True series, like True Valor, True Courage - I think these might be a little better than the O'Malley family series, but maybe not.

For true stories, some of the very best are by Torey Hayden, a former special education teacher. One Child, Tiger's Child, Just Another Kid, etc.

Probably would have been easier just to send you to my website: Dian's Favorite Authors

I think I have a reading addiction [Eek!] I just realized. I have over 600 books, and three years ago I gave 300 to the library. Yesterday, I went to the library and bought 10 more books ($3.00 was all, though. Can't pass up a bargain. [Big Grin]

Is there a support group for this? [Confused]

#35478 - 10/05/04 05:34 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Hey Chatty! Did you happen to notice that Marc mentions me in his book three times? [Big Grin] He worked as an agent for a while and was the one who got me published. He stopped doing that because he got a five book deal from his publisher. He's a nice man.

#35479 - 10/05/04 06:03 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Dian, I share that addiciton. So many books, so little time...

I'm always trying to figure out when I can squeeze in a few minutes here and there to read. [Wink]

#35480 - 10/06/04 12:41 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Saturday, Iwent to a book sale at a local library. I was just plucking those books off the shelf so fast. I was all excited over the fact that I found Flirting With Pete in hardcover for $1. After carrying it around for a while, I realized I already had it at home. I read it a while ago. [Roll Eyes]
Louisa

#35481 - 10/06/04 01:06 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
The computer age has definitely put a dent in my book reading.

If I could go online,buy my book, read it on screen,and "book mark" it to read when I wanted to,I would do that.

The time will come I'm sure.

I spend a lot of time researching things that I am curious about.I like the instant results the internet gives.

I still find time to read books, just not as much as I used to.

Real life poetry,stories,people who made major "changes in life" are my favorites.

#35482 - 10/06/04 08:15 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
swimbo56 Offline

Loc: Towson, MD
I read Angels and Demons, and the Divinchy Code. Both were spellbinding and hard to put down. Don't know if I believe it all, but it was a great read. Read Angels and Demons first tho. Hope he will write another.

#35483 - 10/06/04 09:59 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dian Offline

Loc: Moundsville, WV
Chickadee: Microsoft Reader (free software) lets you download books (cheap), read, highlight, and it keeps your place for you. The books are usually less than $6.00.

You can buy the eBooks from Amazon and other popular sites.

Microsoft Reader click the link to get the reader, then visit the bookstores. There are even some $1.00 reads, and a few for free.

#35484 - 10/11/04 04:07 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Swimbo, my daughter read Angels and Demons for school this summer. SHe liked it too. The book is in the house so I should read it, but I have a list of other books to hit first.

I just finished Watercolor Bedroom: Creating a Soulful Midlife, by Daphne Stevens, Ph.D. She's in our forums. I highly recommend it and will post about it separately.

I'm also finishing a study of Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World. Great book and study for women who do too much and need to take tome to center with God.

Let's see, what else? I started Networking Magic and so far, so good. Tends to be a quick read packed with excellent information.I'll post about that too.

I began Midlife Clarity, another book by one of our local boomers. Lots of stories about women defining themselves at mid-life. Very inspirational. Never too late to follow your dreams!

I'm starting The Notebook this week For our BWS Book Club.

So many books, so little time.

#35485 - 10/13/04 06:45 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I just started THE SURVIVORS CLUB by Lisa Gardner. Looks pretty good but will reserve judgement until I've read more of it. [Smile]

#35486 - 10/16/04 07:44 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I just finished a book by Elizabeth Berg, "What We Keep" (I think that was the name of it??? And have started Everyday Grace by Marianne Williamson. I'm also reading The Well-Fed Writer, Back Again...

Oh and just found out today that Rick Bragg is gonna be in my hometown (about 10 minutes away from my house) on Oct 29th. It will be a luncheon/talk thingy and a girlfriend and I are going. Yahoooo....I'm taking "All Over But the Shoutin'" in hopes of getting it autographed.

JJ

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved