The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 162 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#35467 - 09/14/04 10:09 AM Read any good books lately?
stephy Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, California
I've been trying to find a good book to read lately. I just finished reading the extreamly contravrsial "the da vinci code". Trust me, you have to have a really open mind for that. So, now I'm looking for another good book to read. Any suggestions?

#35468 - 09/14/04 04:51 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Stephy,
Do you like mysteries? If so, you might enjoy reading ANYTHING by Stuart Woods. I think (but I'm not sure) that New York Dead is one of his first ones. I've read them all and enjoyed every single book. He has two characters and the inside credits can tell you which character you will be reading about when you choose one of his books. Both characters are private investigators.

One is Stone Barringer (misspelled?)
the other is a woman and right now I can remember her name...Holly??? Can't remember. It's been a while since I've read any of his work but the books are alllllllll good!

JJ

#35469 - 09/14/04 05:20 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Stephy, did you like that book? My duaghter had to read the book he wrote prior to that, Angels and Demons. She really liked it. It depends on the type of books you like to read.

#35470 - 09/15/04 10:00 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
stephy Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, California
Well, I really like intellectual book. I do love mysteries and things that have to do with the F.B.I and things like that but that's mainly because I grew up around police officer and because I know Bernard Parks the ex L.A.P.D. chief (spell check). Last years i used to watch alot of things that had to do with the police force. I also read alot of mysterie books. This summer actually I'm going to try to get a job at the West Covina police department. It's mainly voluntary work and things like that. So mysteries are nice but I also like, I dunno how to explain it, I like books that you can have an intellectual conversation about and debates. Mainly because I like to argue with my cousin.

#35471 - 09/17/04 10:12 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
lalapaloosa Offline

Loc: Winters, California
How about C.S. Lewis's "The Great Divorce" or Frank Peretti's "Piercing the Darkness" or "This Present Darkness"? They are really great books. I like C.S.Lewis's sci fi trilogy as well "Out of the Silent Planet" "Perelandra" and "That Hideous Strength". C.S. Lewis's stuff is pretty intellectual and interesting.

#35472 - 09/18/04 04:10 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Sher Offline

Loc: Midwest
My favorite book of all time is, "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings", by Maya Angelou. I can't get enough of it.

I am not a fan of fiction usually, but I have read nearly all Patricia Cornwell's books. You might like her... crime, FBI, morgues... they have it all!

#35473 - 09/24/04 05:23 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I just finished reading The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks. Loved it. I love everything he has written. [Smile]

Any Anita Shreve fans??

Louisa

#35474 - 09/28/04 06:30 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
garrie keyman Offline

Loc: Lititz, PA
Lala, I loved Peretti's books, too! They among my list of top favorites, for sure.

Steph, have you read A Beautiful Mind. I haven't finished it yet, but that was really holding my attention.

Right now I'm almost done with Knee Deep in Paradise, the autobiography of Brett Butler, the comedienne. I favor biographies. I also am working on and deeply enjoying Savage Beauty about Edna St. Vincent Milay, one of my all-time favorite poets.

The Brett Butler book keeps me thinking of you, JawJaw, as she was raised in Georgia and is intelligent and witty like yourself.

Others I've read recently include In Lieu of Heaven (very interesting); a book about a young girl's life in a mid-west Japanese-American interment camp during WWII (I think it's called The Broken Thread but I'd have to go check); and Sue Silverman's riveting autobiography, Because I Remember Terror, Father, I Remember You.

I'd also recommend The Rise of the Phoenix by Dawn Rivers Baker, if you like romantic speculative fiction.

Up next on my agenda are the recent purchases of Seabiscuit and In the Absence of Angels by Elizabeth Glaser, who died of AIDS. She was married to the actor Paul Michael Glaser (Starsky & Hutch) and contracted the disease via a blood transfusion following an episode of placenta previa during her first pregnancy. She passed the disease onto their daughter via breast milk, then gave their second child the disease in utero before she ever found out she'd been given tainted blood.

Tragic three ways to China and back again.

She started the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation (EGPAF) which you can support by making purchases through greatergood.com

Their daughter died at age 7. Their son, 20, is still alive.

Oh -- and I want to finish A Beautiful Mind and Savage Beauty. Yup, that oughta hold me for a while between homeschooling, dancing, and finishing my own third novel!! Ha!

PS: for anyone who's thinkin', "Who is this person?" I've been around a while, but lately just hangin' in the diet forums. I guess y'all could say my plate is full in more ways than one!

[ September 27, 2004, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: garrie keyman ]

#35475 - 09/30/04 03:49 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I am just finishing WHISPERS AT MIDNIGHT by Karen Robards, a chilling mystery. And if you want some real writing "how to" info that will have you wetting your bloomers you'll be laughing so hard, [Big Grin] check out:
DAMM! WHY DIDN'T I WRITE THAT? by Marc McCutcheon honest to God this is a hilarious and yet helpful book... [Razz]

#35476 - 10/05/04 02:43 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
I will read anything by Elizabeth Berg. Not very intellectual but very down home. She writes as if she is speaking to you or better, with you.

Can't remember the book, but one of my favorite lines was "If I had known it was the last time he would curl up on my lap, I would have hung on a little bit longer". She was speaking of her 10 year old son who no longer curls up on her lap and we all know that snuggly comfort.

Lynn

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved