The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 194 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#34954 - 01/21/06 07:49 PM Trends
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Did your mom stay home with you?

Did you stay home with your kids?

Do your children stay home with their children?

I'm talking full time SAHM.

And, why do you think the mothers have, or are staying home?

#34955 - 01/21/06 10:11 PM Re: Trends
ladybug Offline

My mom stayed home with me.

I resigned after 15 years with Internal Revenue Service when our first one was born and never went back to any job.

Since my two are almost 21 and 18 they of course, don't have children of their own.

My husband and I felt that it would be best for me to be home with them.

[ January 22, 2006, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

#34956 - 01/22/06 04:31 AM Re: Trends
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Mom was home, yes and no.

I was home yes and no.

My DIL was home, yes and no.

Times and things change and so does the situation.

I think finances defines a womens choice to stay home or not in most cases.

[ January 23, 2006, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#34957 - 01/22/06 06:00 AM Re: Trends
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Dotsie,
My mother worked when I was little and I went off to nursery school . I don't know a time when my mother didn't work . When I went to high school I had a key to get into the house .

I stayed at home until my daughter went to college . Then I started working part time.

My married daughter does not have any children
only a baby yorkie .

I do agree with Chatty it is the fiances that keep mothers going back out to work these days .

[ January 21, 2006, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Renee ]

#34958 - 01/22/06 09:08 AM Re: Trends
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
My Mom stayed home with me...and I was lucky enough to be able to stay home full time with my children...but times were different 30 years ago when I was pregnant with my first child...and my husband and I agreed to live within our means , meaning on his salary alone...30 years ago we bought our first house and paid only $32,000.
for it...my 29 year old single son just bought his first house...very similar in size and
style to our first and he had to pay well over $400,000.!!! I just think it's so hard for the young people today to make ends meet and have children on one salary alone.Everything just costs too much these days...who ever thought a gallon of gasoline would be approaching $3.00 per gallon...I think today's young Mother almost has to have some sort of income...many of my son's friends work part time for their companies after their maternity leaves run out...other companies are offering flex time schedules...some places even offer day care facilities on the premises...times have changed for sure...I'm not sure what my kids will do when the time comes for them to start families...my girls all say they want to be Stay at Home Moms like I was...I just worry that it might not be an option for any of them...time will tell I guess

#34959 - 01/22/06 11:58 AM Re: Trends
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I agree, many moms these days opt to work for
financial reasons.

#34960 - 01/22/06 11:32 PM Re: Trends
mrs_madness Offline

Loc: Moscow
I worked most of the time. Stayed home with the second child for 2 years. But after that we really needed the income from me working, my husband's job didn't provide any dependant benefits, and staying home broke and carless with 2 young children just about drove me to early *madness*. So back to work I went.

However I spent years working part time and doing weird hours shiftwork. For many years I worked a 5 to 10 PM shift that allowed me to get the lunches packed in the moring and get the kids to school and then spend an hour or so with them after school, and by god, they never came home alone to an empty house. I was firmly convinced that children who came home from school by themselves grew into troubled adolescents. I think I was right, and both my kids had a mom at home when school got out every day. Then between 5 and 6 PM my husband would come home just after I left for work so they were almost never home alone. We shift-parented.

It was hard on the marraige though. I'd get home from work around 11 PM and everybody was already in bed. Then my husband got up and left for work at 6 in the morning. We barely saw each other for years except between midnight and 6 AM and on weekends.

Unless one partner nets at least $40 to $60 thousand a year, it's almost impossible for a family to survive without both partners working. And both parents working is really hard on kids. I solved it by getting a well paid part time job >> and being mommy-tracked. But so be it. My kids turned out to be wonderful people, we did what we had to do to make it work. Alls's well that ends well.

#34961 - 01/23/06 11:58 PM Re: Trends
ladybug Offline

Dotsie, now it would be interesting to see your answers to these questions too.

What does our esteemed leader feel on this issue?

#34962 - 01/24/06 12:29 AM Re: Trends
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
My mom was home until we were all older and even then, she came home from work right after we got home from school.
I have always been home with my children. It's been almost 25 years and my baby won't be in school for another year and a half.
My daughter has been home with her son, who's 2, and plans on being home with others, if she has more. She will also homeschool them.

#34963 - 01/24/06 02:39 AM Re: Trends
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
My mom was at home. She met the bus after school each day. When I was a sophmore in high school she decided she 'needed' to work--not because they needed the income, but because she needed to feel better about herself.

I really resented the fact that she went to work. I missed her terribly. And I started dating the wrong guy during that time. Within about 4-6 months I saw the change in my mom and how much she enjoyed being out and about and got over my bad attitude.

I desperately wanted to stay at home when my son was born. I wasn't able to until he was 2. Then I stayed home until he entered 3rd or 4th grade and was forced because of finances to start working part-time--which eventually led to having to work full-time.

I LOVED being at home. As a writer--(my son is in college now) I would LOVE to still be a stay-at-home-woman-writer...

#34964 - 01/24/06 02:47 AM Re: Trends
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
There had been times that I felt sorry for myself because I wanted to get out and work but couldn't. One day, my mom said I was very fortunate that I could stay home with my kids and I realized how right she was. I never complained again and I have such compassion for women who want to be with their kids and cannot.
But at home or at work, as long as we love our kids the best way we can, we're good moms! And the kids know how much we do for love of them.

#34965 - 11/25/06 09:39 PM Re: Trends [Re: Bluebird]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
My mom had to work. She always wanted to be home with us kids growing up, but wasn't able too. I remember her ride would already have picked her up for work before we were up in the mornings. My dad would get us up and ready for school, and then watch us walk to the corner to wait for the school bus....then he would head for work himself. After school, we would get off the bus at my grandparents where we would wait till my parents came to get us after they got off work. When we were a little older, we took care of ourselves getting about. On my 21st birthday I came home from my job and my mom was home early--just finishing up a birhday cake she had made for me. I asked her what she was doing home and she said that it was my 21st birthday and she wanted to be home to make me a cake. I hold that memory close to my heart.

#34966 - 11/27/06 11:18 PM Re: Trends [Re: Cookie]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

I was a SAHM most of the time. Worked part-time occasionally, also went to school, and was my mom's caregiver for years. Don't regret it a bit but we were lucky enough that we could make ends meet on my husband's salary.

Both of my sisters have been working moms (single moms, too, not much choice about it) and I know they really worked hard to make sure their kids didn't lose out by it.

Now that my nest is nearly empty, I'm trying to figure out what I would like to do. Housework is definitely not enough.

#34967 - 11/28/06 10:10 AM Re: Trends [Re: dejavu]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Theres no money in it either dejavu, unless you do it for someone else....

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#34968 - 11/28/06 05:37 PM Re: Trends [Re: chatty lady]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I was a stay at home mom for my first two daughters, but when my son was born, my husband became disabled in an accident at work. I had to go to work. Now, I'm at home again, but don't have any kids at home. Just a husband, dog, and parrot to take care of.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved