The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 157 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#34762 - 07/07/05 07:42 AM Making enough $$ to stay home
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
Anyone out there making enough as a writer to be able to stay home full time? If so I would like to hear from you! My ultimate goal is to make enough from writing to scale back work and work from home. Anyone out there making it--without income from a partner?

#34763 - 07/06/05 08:45 PM Re: Making enough $$ to stay home
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hey, starting, when you get the answer to this one, please let me know! I live off my husband, he subsidizes all my work. He is my emotional and financial support. And given the topics I write about: child abuse, sexual violence, and domestic violence, he never tires of hearing my latest rant on the subjects. He is a silent partner in the war against these epidemics. Anyway, I would love to earn a living as a writer. I have not even broke even in regards to my book yet. And I've yet to accept a speaker's fee. I know of at least 3 on this site who make a living from speaking/writing, so I hope they will chime in. Good luck, Lynn

#34764 - 07/08/05 07:41 AM Re: Making enough $$ to stay home
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
starting over, someone here had a site about making money at home...forgive me but I can't remember...ladies?
Chatty has posted what she is doing with real estate. Doing it all on her own too, am I right, Chatty?
What about a part time job? I find that works for me.
Let us know what you find out.
chick

#34765 - 07/07/05 08:47 PM Re: Making enough $$ to stay home
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
If you are not relying on your income for insurance coverage, then I would say the world is your oyster. I know I'll be at home soon, and I'll be paying 353.00 a month for insurance coverage. And that doesn't cover dental. Thank goodness my sis is the office manager at the dental office. Well, that and I have some dirt on the dentist. Just let him try and charge me!

Sher is the member here that has a web site devoted to making money from home. She is a fountain of info, and a sweetheart. Go here for one of her homepages http://www.wiping-the-crazy-off-my-face.com/

and here for her work at home site: http://www.momandhermoney.com/

hope this helps!

JJ

#34766 - 07/08/05 02:20 AM Re: Making enough $$ to stay home
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Here's my take on writing for a living.

I always told my kids, you only get paid to do things that someone either cannot or will not do and you pay to do things that are fun and you get paid to do things that are not.

Most folks learn to write in the second grade so most can and many will. Some get paid to write the fun stuff, but most get paid for journalistic writing or technical writing and the other types that are all work and no play.

What money I have actually made from writing came from doing what no one wants to do--writing government proposals and business plans. Yuk.
I still do some press releases which are all work and no play and sometimes that pays a little, but it's no fun.

I've made a few thousand from doing what I love--writing musicals. And I have made a few hundred from writing stories and articles. But unless a musical becomes a Broadway hit or I somehow publish a best seller, I'm not sure writing for a living is a viable option.

However, like most writers, I continue to write and hope only because I must.

smile

#34767 - 07/08/05 05:45 AM Re: Making enough $$ to stay home
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I write and answer phone fantasy calls all day long and do my Real estate paperwork but it hasn't taken off yet enough to be a viable income. Its scetchy and I haven't really done much advertising. My Erotica paid well but I don't do it much anymore...My Mystery storys did nada even though everyone said WOW, how great! Go figure....I would love to stop the phones and everything else but so far cannot, so I do it all. [Razz]

#34768 - 07/08/05 07:15 AM Re: Making enough $$ to stay home
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Miss Chatty, if you stopped the phones and everything else, what would you like to do? LLL

#34769 - 07/08/05 02:30 PM Re: Making enough $$ to stay home
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I have met so many good publishers and have so many outlets for work but never seem to find the time to write for profit. My writing career has become a hobby, fun and I've been giving out interviews all for free and thats my choice but I should do some serious writing again. Whenever I get started the phone rings or someone needs me for something. I would like to make a living writing and stop procrastinating... [Wink]

#34770 - 07/09/05 07:53 AM Re: Making enough $$ to stay home
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
starting over, the most important part of making a living at writing is knowing how to promote your work. Are you a salesperson? I think most professional freelancers are also very business minded. You have to manage your writing endeavors like a business. Can you do that? There are many freelancers online who are willing to share how they make a living staying home and writing.

#34771 - 07/09/05 12:27 PM Re: Making enough $$ to stay home
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Writing poetry for profit is an oxymoron. My essays are only slightly more saleable. I accept that the writing I do will never make hardly any money at all. At least I'm not selling out HAHA!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved