The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 187 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#34772 - 07/09/05 06:46 PM Re: Making enough $$ to stay home
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
quote:
Originally posted by meredithbead:
I accept that the writing I do will never make hardly any money at all. At least I'm not selling out HAHA!

I love that Meredith. I'm going to post it somewhere.

Maybe I'll make a fridge magnet out of it and put it beside the Albert Einstein quote my daughter gave me that says, "Great Spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds!"

Thoughts for the day.
smile

#34773 - 07/10/05 03:18 AM Re: Making enough $$ to stay home
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
I'm at home, not making enough to live on without my husbands income, but I'm doing something now that is starting to bring in income.

I'm mystery shopping. It fits me to a T, the money is finally beginning to come in, it does take a while because most companies pay on the 15th or 20th of the following month for work done the previous month. I started doing this the first of June. It's something I enjoy, I go up to about 50 mile radius, and I'm signed up with enough companies I can get 3 or 4 shops in the same town. I also take my husbands smaller car to help with gas. I usually get a shoppers fee and a small reimbursement. The other day I did a grocery shop, they paid me, and will reimburse me $25 of items I would have bought anyway.

I do have to watch myself, I love to shop and so I am tending to spend a little more than what I should. Also, it's a nice way to be reimbursed for a nice dinner out with your significant other.

#34774 - 07/12/05 02:21 AM Re: Making enough $$ to stay home
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
JawJaw,
Your response intriques me--not the insurance part but that you feel you'll be able to stay home soon and have enough income. How?

Also, I am self insured and only paying 157.44 per month for full coverage, including a dental discount plan. It includes $25. office visit, $10 medicine etc. Seems good. If you want to know more send me a private message and I'll fill you in--might be worth checking into..

So, at this point everyone is pretty much working at something else and writing is a part-time, hobby thing--how do we progress past that? Seems like I spend all my time marketing and very little time writing. And I can't really call it marketing--more like looking for possible markets to inquire to etc. it's a frustrating cycle.

#34775 - 07/12/05 04:08 AM Re: Making enough $$ to stay home
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Writing and then selling it IS frustrating SO, but worth it.

In answer to your question, I have other writing jobs that sustain me, plus I have some speaking engagements. I also have no bills. Or very few. So, if I choose to stay home, I won't starve. I didn't say I would be living the life of Riley, but with just household expenses, I should be fine. The main thing for me is that I will be living my dream of writing full time. I so hope you get to do that too!

p.s. The insurance is the COBRA rate from work which I can keep for 18 months. I found out that my car insurance company has cheaper and BETTER insurance. Rates about the same as yours. Isn't that crazy? Thanks for the tip though..it is appreciated!

JJ

#34776 - 07/12/05 06:02 AM Re: Making enough $$ to stay home
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

SO,
I realized I didn't answer your question, or at least not all of it. How does one balance the writing, marketing, and other parts of their life when they have chosen writing as a career?

I'll give you what I know works for me, then I'm sure others can also give you tips for making it all mesh.

For me, it's a matter of discipline. This goes against every creative fiber inside of me...but it is the only way I can get anything done. As I've stated in other post, I use a timer for just about everything. So many minutes are allotted for research, so many minutes for answering emails, and so many minutes for yada..yada...yada. When articles are due or its time to write one, I adjust the time, if needed. I also don't answer the phone and don't post in here or anywhere else, until I'm done.

I think it is a matter of setting boundaries, goals, and priorities. Make list to see what needs to serve you NOW, what can wait, or what needs more attention/time. You have to have some sort of system in place. Otherwise, you will become overwhelmed and frustrated. And...something will suffer. You might even miss a deadline, and that would be the kiss of death to a writer. Also, think about this. If you have a system in place, and you take care of business, then you have all of this wonderful "free" time to play! Like NOW!

I hope this helps! JJ

#34777 - 07/21/05 12:37 AM Re: Making enough $$ to stay home
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Hey JJ - Here it is (I think)

#34778 - 07/21/05 12:58 AM Re: Making enough $$ to stay home
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

This was it. And it was Staring Over who offered it. Bless her heart. I sent her a PM since I haven't seen here in here in a while.

My insurance company who CLAIMED to be cheaper and BETTER wanted 808.00/month. Hello? I don't think so...eeek! I didn't want to own the dang company, just get insurance.

JJ

#34779 - 07/21/05 01:45 AM Re: Making enough $$ to stay home
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Aren't insurance companies crazy? If I had $808.00 a month to spend on health care - I wouldn't NEED THEM, now, would I? Sheesh.

#34780 - 07/21/05 01:52 AM Re: Making enough $$ to stay home
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Very good point. If I had 808/a month to spend ON ANYTHING, I wouldn't give a rip.

JJ

#34781 - 07/21/05 05:32 PM Re: Making enough $$ to stay home
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Staring Over! You around? I've sent you a PM, and have asked here, but no reply.

Can you expand on the insurance premium you're paying? I and others, would be very grateful to hear about it...

Thanks--JJ

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved