The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#34535 - 12/31/04 10:06 PM new year/get organized
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This time of year I get the urge to get organized. I get out the new calendars and carry everything over. I clean my desk at home and work. I like to clean out my clothes closet and a few drawers and cabinets in the kitchen. Does this happen to any of you? I think Meredith might do this. Huh, Meredith?

Smile and Meredith mentioned not being able to relax unless things are in order. I definitely have that in me too. I can't watch tv if the paper is strewn all over the floor with a couple of cups or food trash on the table. It doesn't take much, but I have to tidy before I sit and chill. God help me. [Roll Eyes]

#34536 - 01/01/05 01:19 AM Re: new year/get organized
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Drawers and closets aren't on this month's list [Roll Eyes] but paperwork, errands and various cleaning chores are. It really isn't that bad because for every 2-hour chore I complete, I have 6 hours for the computer, gym, or whatever I choose. It's much better to do all this garbage now, when I have the time to recreate in between chores. If I try to do all this stuff in my prime working season, I get a little freaked from the time pressures.

Every chore I complete, I cross off and date with a purple pen.

#34537 - 01/03/05 07:26 AM Re: new year/get organized
summerbreeze Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO
For some reason I'm feeling this way this year.
I have on my list all this cleaning out of the closets, dressers, boxes in basement etc.

I knew something was wrong with me when I went through all the papers from 2004 and had them filed and boxed away for taxes!! For the last 4-5 years this was something I'd be rushing around trying to do in April so we could get our taxes together. Somethings not right with me when it is Jan 2 and my papers are in order [Eek!]

Heres to a more organized 2005!!

Summerbreeze

[ January 02, 2005, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: summerbreeze ]

#34538 - 01/05/05 06:50 PM Re: new year/get organized
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I love the feel of a clean house. Now that's different from an organized house.

When the kids were little my husband offered to get me some help. When the youngest was born, our daughter was 10 months and our oldest was 3. I had two who couldn't walk! This was a crazy household! [Eek!]

I didn't want help with the kids. I wanted someone to clean for me. Heck, I love my children. I totally enjoyed caring for them and toting them around town. I just didn't like having to clean the whole house. [Big Grin]

He so kindly hired a wonderful woman who has been with us ever since our youngest was born. She came every week and cleaned the house from top to bottom. [Big Grin]

Now she only comes every other week, and I stll love it. When she leaves the house smells so good and everything is neat and clean.

Now all I have to do is get moving on the closets and drawers! [Eek!]

#34539 - 01/06/05 12:18 AM Re: new year/get organized
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Ahhh...I agree. There ain't nothing like the smell of a clean house, so that's why I go visit Mom about every three weeks. Her's is ALWAYS clean.

JJ

#34540 - 01/06/05 03:46 AM Re: new year/get organized
summerbreeze Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO
To get that clean house smell, without the work, open up a bottle of Pine-Sol and set it on the coffee table [Smile]

#34541 - 01/06/05 03:51 AM Re: new year/get organized
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

A woman after my own heart...teehee...

JJ

#34542 - 01/06/05 06:22 AM Re: new year/get organized
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Hey, if you took a little nip of that pine sol -- or something better -- or maybe a big nip of something--you wouldn't even care if the house was clean.
Or what it smelled like either.
smile

#34543 - 01/06/05 09:46 PM Re: new year/get organized
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Something else that works is the powder that you sprinkle on the carpet before vacuuming.. [Big Grin] I wouldn't eat it though!

#34544 - 01/07/05 12:26 AM Re: new year/get organized
smilinize Offline

Dots, Actually I wouldn't drink the pine sol either. However, I have noticed that a good glass of wine sure makes the house look spotless.
It's the cleaning lady who gets the place clean, but I figure I help her out by drinking a glass of wine. Somebody's gotta' put the final shine on this place.
smile

#34545 - 01/07/05 04:58 AM Re: new year/get organized
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I light scented candles, and if the house is messy enough it looks like a forest fire in here but boy do it smell good....I hate to clean, use to like it but not anymore. Don't clean, don't iron, don't cook much now, I do dial the phone to call the cleaning lady, thats my job.... [Embarrassed]

#34546 - 01/10/05 01:02 AM Re: new year/get organized
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
I have so much stuff that I want to get rid of, and I have donated some to Charity. But, I do have valuables that I wanted to try to sell on eBay.

Any way to organize the items I want to sell? I could use some tips.

Cheers,
Cathi

#34547 - 01/10/05 02:57 AM Re: new year/get organized
chatty lady Offline
Writer

One of my clients who owns a jewelry store on Rodeo Drive sent me a beautiful dainty cross of perfect round diamonds and a round red ruby in the center, its on a platinum gold chain also quite delicate. Had it appraised at $850.00 and want to sell it for half that but don't have a camera to take a picure for Ebay. It would be an exquisite Valentines Day gift if anyone is interested. Oh and I have a cocktail diamond ring too, 16 round stones, 1 1/2 carat.. I'd take $400.00 for that, paid $900...I never wear jewelry and something as delicate as that cross on me would be hilarious. Kind of like ballet slippers on a cow, h [Razz] a ha!!!

#34548 - 01/11/05 09:24 PM Re: new year/get organized
Dotsie Offline
Founder

chatty, you're crazy. Does a neighbor have a digital camera you could borrow?

Optimum, Micki and Lionspaww frequent these forums. They have lots of Ebay knowledge. I'll try to get them in here to reply to your post.

#34549 - 01/11/05 11:57 PM Re: new year/get organized
Elsielc Offline

Loc: Orange County, CA
Egads! Getting organized is my mantra for 2005! My little house is overflowing with too much of everything. I was so proud of myself when I took down the Xmas decorations and actually organized like things in like boxes, labeled the boxes, numbered them and wrote a list of what I have. And sorted with a fine eye to getting rid of things. I'm trying to do that with the rest of my collections, but, boy the place turns into a mess real fast! As someone said, organized is not the same as being neat.

Tackling the paperwork will be the biggest chore.

One process I've found that helps is to tackle one small area at a time - like one drawer, one part of a closet, one shelf. Once that is cleaned out, organized or whatever, move to the next small spot, but be sure to keep the organized areas always organized and neat. It takes time but it's helped me.

#34550 - 01/12/05 02:00 PM Re: new year/get organized
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
EBAY is a great place to sell things at a good price. They make it VERY easy to set up an account. They'll walk you through everything.

A few suggestions -

Only run a 3 day listing - even if you have to re-run it ---- it's worth it. There are thousands of items in every catagory usually so people look at the "just listed" and the "about to expires" and the rest just gets lost in the middle.

Have pictures - again - there are so many items that people "narrow it down" by pictures. Its the only way people know what they are bidding on. Take a picture on a regular camera -- if you have to - buy one of those $4 camera's from Wal Mart called Kodak Fun Saver 35 flash -- they take TERRIFIC pictures - and then have them saved to the CD -- that way you can upload them to EBay.
Again - EBay will walk you thru the process and their help/community center is terrific for problem solving.

The description is the main key to getting people to look for your item. They may do a search for what they are looking for so dont waste your space with WOW's or COME LOOK's -- put the brand name (if applicable) and as many ways of describing what it is.(Tiffiny 24 ct blue sapphire wedding ring - for example) The object being to put the words that YOU would use to search for an item you're interested in buying.

Then give as much information as you can describing the item -- and again PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES -- think about it -- would you want to buy something from a stranger somewhere in the world sight unseen ???

CYA !!!! cover your huhmmm. Say exactly what you mean. FOr instance - NO RETURNS or returns within 5 days but buyer pays the return shipping or insurance optional but ONLY guaranteed WITH insurance and spell out exactly what payments you will or will not accept. MAKE YOURSELF CLEAR so there wont be any EBAY Lawsuits. If you get bad ratings -- it will destroy your EBay reputation in a heart beat !!!!

You are dealing with millions of people - LITERALLY - so make yourself clear on what you have to sell -- how you are selling it -- and what guarantees you are offering. Basically - put yourself in their shoes. The more you make them feel they are dealing with an honest person the better your chances of a sale.

Go look at some of the items like you're going to sell. See what categories the majority of them are in - thats where people are looking. Look how the good ones are done and take notice of the bad ones so you dont make the same mistakes. EBay can be very successful if done correctly. I made over $1000.00 the first month I put my yarn shop items on there !!! (but i also worked my fanny off [Smile] )

Email me if you have any questions or if I can help -- (lionspaaw@aol.com)

but one warning -- EBaying is addictive [Big Grin]

GOOD LUCK !!!

carolyn

#34551 - 01/13/05 02:23 AM Re: new year/get organized
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Carolyn, this is great. You really know your stuff and I will do exactly what you've said. I don't have a camera but will get one and then get someone over here to show me what to do next, I am still computer dumb on many things. Thanks a million for the advice. I wish these men would send me the cash instead of this beautiful jewelry, I don't wear jewelry at all, and [Wink] never did.

#34552 - 01/13/05 05:21 AM Re: new year/get organized
lionspaaw Offline

Chatty -

If you get one of those little camera's and have them developed at Wal Mart (I am assuming that everyone has a Wal Mart [Smile] ) have them put it on a CD instead of actual (in hand) prints. Then download them to your computer. When you're ready to upload them to EBay -- they will walk you through the process. It's a matter of them asking if you want pictures - you tell them yes and after a few clicks here and there -- VIOLA'

They really do make it very easy for you [Smile] and its a whole lot of fun too

Oh yea - before you do all that -- go to PayPal and get an account set up so you can accept credit/debit cards. The charges for EBay and PayPal are next to nothing and its a safety net for you.

#34553 - 01/13/05 05:56 PM Re: new year/get organized
Wisdom&Life Offline

Thanks Carolyn,

You did point out a couple of things that I never would have thought of. Like "only run a three day listing", it makes sense and you sure saved me so much time in trial and error.

I have also considered using a disposable camera and have the pictures put on a CD. I am so "Digital Camera illiterate". I just didn't know how they would turn out, so again, you saved me time there in trial and error.

I do have a couple more question, and it has nothing to do with the computer. Do you have a shelf, room, or a particular closet you put all your items in that you are selling? If so, how is the best way to do that without so much clutter? In other words, do you have a system for that? I am sure there is something obvious somewhere in that. But you have pointed out other obvious solutions that I would have never thought of.

Another reason that I have been reluctant in selling most of the items that I do not want is this. They are breakable (plates, crystals, etc), and an aquaintance of mine had a bad experience with that, with a buyer. Have you had any kind of trouble like that?

Is it possible to stipulate on your page that, if an item is damaged, that the buyer should send it back in order to get a refund?

Again, thanks Carolyn for taking the time to help us in this area.

Cheers and Blessings,
Cathi

#34554 - 01/14/05 06:20 AM Re: new year/get organized
lionspaaw Offline

I sold things like yarn and patterns -- knitting needles here and there -- so I didn't have to worry about breakables.

If you pack them well you shouldnt have any problem -- but you can stipulate that if they dont insure you wont guarantee -- or -- if they have problems -- ship back the broken pieces for a full refund (minus the shipping costs) -- or -- whatever you feel you can live with and is fair

My mom and I had 3 full service yarn shops at one time so we were pretty organized as far as having an inventory program -- but when I did this from home -- I used one of those 6 column ledgers that you can buy for a couple of bucks at almost any place that sells stationary (office depot, wal mart, even eckerds usually have them). I put the customer name, address, email, phone, etc on top,and then in the columns I put the item sold, day of the sale, price paid, what it cost me to list it (so I knew what my profit was), when I was paid (and how - paypal, cash, check) and when I shipped it. I clipped the post office receipt to it to prove I shipped it. This way if there was any question -- I had the info. I did have a few items lost in the mail and I replaced them (they were patterns so I had more than 1 copy) because it made for good business.

Another tip -- give actually shipping costs up front. Alot of times people are looking/bidding on items where the auction is up in just a few minutes or hours and there isn't time to email you and see how much it will cost to ship, so they wont take the chance that after they win the bid and are responsible for purchasing it that you add a $20 shipping charge for something that cost you 60 cents to send. They'll just overlook your item and go on to a similar one that gives them more information. You can weigh it for an approximate weight -- go to the USPS website for the exact shipping costs (or UPS - but I found the USPS was the best way to send MY items) and then take that cost plus the cost to list your item (usually only pennies to a few dollars dependng on the cost of the item) to the shipping costs and then you've covered your expenses.

The best rule of thumb I can offer is -- Treat your customer they way you would expect to be treated and you'll do just fine [Smile]

Carolyn

#34555 - 01/15/05 12:58 AM Re: new year/get organized
Micki Offline

Loc: Linthicum, MD
There is also a new service here in the Maryland area called "I Sold It on eBay"....they accept your stuff that is worth $30 or more, research it, take pix and then list it and sell it for you. They deduct the listing fees and 1/3 of the cost and send you a check!! If it doesn't sell, you can pick it up or donate it to charity.

I do a LOT of eBay stuff.....after my gastric bypass I "rent" clothes that way!! I buy them, wear then until they are too big and then sell them and buy more.

I collect mice (no, not the live kind, but hey, stuff happens...we just had one in the house!), Longaberger baskets, painted glass and Chesapeake Bay retriever memorabilia, so I have gotten lots of good stuff on there. I am addicted!!

#34556 - 01/15/05 05:28 AM Re: new year/get organized
lionspaaw Offline

I think the neatest thing I got on EBay was a 1936 New York license plate -- in cherry condition. I got it for my dad's Christmas present last year -- 1936 was the year he got his drivers license - in NY. My hubby framed it for him and he has it on his desk [Smile]

#34557 - 01/15/05 07:32 AM Re: new year/get organized
smilinize Offline

Lion,
This is off topic, but your post just reminded me so much of my Daddy I just had to write it down. Daddy died three years ago and one of his most prized posessions was a model truck that I bought him. It was the same as one he had and planned to restore. He never got the real truck restored, but he loved the model and used it as a prop to tell his friends about his truck.

My mother returned the model to me on the day of his funeral and I carried it to the church. I gave it to the funeral director and he put it on Daddy's casket. It was just so symbolic of Daddy's spirit. It took everyone's breath away. Now it is on a shelf in my den. I think of Daddy every time I see it.

My Daddy loved cars, especially old ones and it was something I shared with him. I took him "junkin'" a lot and bought him a Model A just like he had when he married Mom for their fiftieth wedding anniversary.

I can only imagine what your buying that tag meant to your Dad. You will be able to treasure the image of it on his desk forever in your heart.
smile

#34558 - 01/17/05 05:09 PM Re: new year/get organized
lionspaaw Offline

I think its very interesting the different things we remember about our loved ones -- I have a ceramic dragon that robert painted for me (he made his brother and dad one too but painted this one special to make it feminine) and he gave me a little boy angel figurine on my birthday a few years ago -- I have them sitting together on my shelf --- when i look at them - it reminds me of our mom/son protector/innocence relationship

maybe that should be a new topic ???

Dotsie ???? [Smile]

#34559 - 01/18/05 08:22 AM Re: new year/get organized
Debi Offline

Loc: Kansas City Kansas
I have been trying to get organized since like forever. But after all the books I have read one of the best books I have read was called "home executives" By pam Jones and her sister cant remember her name anyway, I since have fallen in love with 3x5 cards , assorted colors.

White - to do and phone numbers
Red - is outlines, ideas first drafts
yellow second drafts
Green , final drafts
Blue - character discriptions.

I also have a file box for print outs that I'm editing with matching color coding.

as for a maid I like cleaning , yea call me crazy , It helps me think when I'm stuck with my writing.

Deb

#34560 - 01/18/05 08:30 AM Re: new year/get organized
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Organization? What's that?

#34561 - 01/18/05 09:49 PM Re: new year/get organized
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Lion, I love that gift idea. One of these days I'm going to have to check out Ebay. I still haven't surfed that site to see what's out there.

#34562 - 01/21/05 04:36 AM Re: new year/get organized
lionspaaw Offline

Dotsie -

I think you should put your sons stationary on EBay --

I know it didn't sell the two times I put them on there but that was probably because of putting it thru my store

Nothing to lose [Smile]

#34563 - 01/22/05 09:17 AM Re: new year/get organized
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I've now completed over 30 items on my original list, but unfortunately the list has now grown to 50... [Frown]

#34564 - 01/22/05 10:29 PM Re: new year/get organized
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I thought I had done a really good job, organizing my closet until I realized I didn't get rid of anything. I only moved stuff to another closet! I don't think that's the way it's supposed to work.

According to horoscopes, I'm a Virgo and they are supposed to be really organized so I'm wondering if my parents lied about when I was born.

I'm real anal about some things...like my dishwasher has to be loaded a certain way but my underwear drawer is a disaster. Maybe I'm only half Virgo.

#34565 - 01/23/05 01:54 AM Re: new year/get organized
Wisdom&Life Offline

I am so excited, I am so excited! I have been dumping, boxing, cleaning, etc.., since this morning. I finally put my foot down and said to my family, "I need you out because this clutter is getting on my nerves". I am almost there, Yippeeeee! Okay, break time is over, I justed wanted to share!

Cheers,
Cathi [Big Grin]

#34566 - 02/01/05 12:03 PM Re: new year/get organized
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

UPDATE:

I've completed 38 items on the list that swelled to 54.

Items noticeably NOT done: 6 separate entries related to redoing my physical jewelry display, probably 36 hours worth. Bumped into February.

Big projects done: 12 hours trimming one bouganvillea bush. New pics for new website. 8 Doctors and dentist appointments. Business taxes. Probably AT LEAST 40 hours spent editing and rewriting existing work (okay, I'm a perfectionist AND I'm slow...)

FEBRUARY LIST:
16 items that weren't done from January's list. More website work. More gardening. Lots more editing. And added: I'm setting a goal to submit poetry or essays to at least 6 new publications.

I think I accomplished a lot last month, and I'm proud of myself for finishing as many chores as I did. Now I need to get back to making jewelry!

How is everyone else doing on the New Year's resolutions?

#34567 - 02/01/05 06:47 PM Re: new year/get organized
chickadee Offline

Update:
Meredith, you certainly did get a lot done in January.I noticed gardening on the list. Oh how I wish I could be diggin in the ground, early in the morning especially.
My resolution was to quit smoking and not gain weight in the process. I have cut down to no more than 3 cigs a day and lost four pounds by changing my eating habits. Curves is keeping me stress free. I enjoy posting in the BWS forum and being with birds of a feather.
Pats on the back to you Meredith. Did I read somewhere that you were vegeterian? Maybe not, but I am thinking about it. I am taking my resolution slow and simple. Stress free is the only way for me.
I will continue to try and cut back on the cigarettes while exercising, eating healthy and reporting in the diet forum. I glue it all together with prayer.
Now if I could only get Optimized and start a cleaning frenzy. Optimum wanna come visit me for a week? I have the energy, just don't have the desire.
Who else had resolutions?

chickadee

#34568 - 02/02/05 08:17 AM Re: new year/get organized
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Congrats girls on getting chores accomplished and losing weight while quitting smoking! Now that's something. [Eek!]

Meredith, you better get back to that jewelry. I may need a new pair of ear rings for spring! [Razz]

Oh how I'd love to get my hands dirty in the garden these days. The only thing I'm doing outdoors is shoveling.

My resolution has been to talk less. I have to say I'm getting better at it and it has made a difference in the atmosphere of my home.

Also, while out in the world with family and friends I'm just trying to think before I talk. It sounds so simple, but it takes work.

I've always told my kids to use their words to build one another up. I'm trying to follow my own advice.

Thanks for making me report in!

#34569 - 02/03/05 11:08 AM Re: new year/get organized
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Chickadee, I'm technically not a vegetarian but eat 98% lacto/ovo/vege diet. Fish once or twice a week, the rest vege. No mammal meat since 1978? -- 1980 for sure. Can't say I miss it. Most of what I eat would be classified as "health foods" -- unprocessed, lots of organics, no preservatives, hardly any junk. (Ben and Jerry's is not junk! -- it's all natural ingredients -- and it makes me happy to splurge now and then. [Wink] ) Congrats on cutting down on your smoking, I'm really proud of you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved