The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 173 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#34545 - 01/07/05 04:58 AM Re: new year/get organized
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I light scented candles, and if the house is messy enough it looks like a forest fire in here but boy do it smell good....I hate to clean, use to like it but not anymore. Don't clean, don't iron, don't cook much now, I do dial the phone to call the cleaning lady, thats my job.... [Embarrassed]

#34546 - 01/10/05 01:02 AM Re: new year/get organized
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
I have so much stuff that I want to get rid of, and I have donated some to Charity. But, I do have valuables that I wanted to try to sell on eBay.

Any way to organize the items I want to sell? I could use some tips.

Cheers,
Cathi

#34547 - 01/10/05 02:57 AM Re: new year/get organized
chatty lady Offline
Writer

One of my clients who owns a jewelry store on Rodeo Drive sent me a beautiful dainty cross of perfect round diamonds and a round red ruby in the center, its on a platinum gold chain also quite delicate. Had it appraised at $850.00 and want to sell it for half that but don't have a camera to take a picure for Ebay. It would be an exquisite Valentines Day gift if anyone is interested. Oh and I have a cocktail diamond ring too, 16 round stones, 1 1/2 carat.. I'd take $400.00 for that, paid $900...I never wear jewelry and something as delicate as that cross on me would be hilarious. Kind of like ballet slippers on a cow, h [Razz] a ha!!!

#34548 - 01/11/05 09:24 PM Re: new year/get organized
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
chatty, you're crazy. Does a neighbor have a digital camera you could borrow?

Optimum, Micki and Lionspaww frequent these forums. They have lots of Ebay knowledge. I'll try to get them in here to reply to your post.

#34549 - 01/11/05 11:57 PM Re: new year/get organized
Elsielc Offline

Loc: Orange County, CA
Egads! Getting organized is my mantra for 2005! My little house is overflowing with too much of everything. I was so proud of myself when I took down the Xmas decorations and actually organized like things in like boxes, labeled the boxes, numbered them and wrote a list of what I have. And sorted with a fine eye to getting rid of things. I'm trying to do that with the rest of my collections, but, boy the place turns into a mess real fast! As someone said, organized is not the same as being neat.

Tackling the paperwork will be the biggest chore.

One process I've found that helps is to tackle one small area at a time - like one drawer, one part of a closet, one shelf. Once that is cleaned out, organized or whatever, move to the next small spot, but be sure to keep the organized areas always organized and neat. It takes time but it's helped me.

#34550 - 01/12/05 02:00 PM Re: new year/get organized
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
EBAY is a great place to sell things at a good price. They make it VERY easy to set up an account. They'll walk you through everything.

A few suggestions -

Only run a 3 day listing - even if you have to re-run it ---- it's worth it. There are thousands of items in every catagory usually so people look at the "just listed" and the "about to expires" and the rest just gets lost in the middle.

Have pictures - again - there are so many items that people "narrow it down" by pictures. Its the only way people know what they are bidding on. Take a picture on a regular camera -- if you have to - buy one of those $4 camera's from Wal Mart called Kodak Fun Saver 35 flash -- they take TERRIFIC pictures - and then have them saved to the CD -- that way you can upload them to EBay.
Again - EBay will walk you thru the process and their help/community center is terrific for problem solving.

The description is the main key to getting people to look for your item. They may do a search for what they are looking for so dont waste your space with WOW's or COME LOOK's -- put the brand name (if applicable) and as many ways of describing what it is.(Tiffiny 24 ct blue sapphire wedding ring - for example) The object being to put the words that YOU would use to search for an item you're interested in buying.

Then give as much information as you can describing the item -- and again PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES -- think about it -- would you want to buy something from a stranger somewhere in the world sight unseen ???

CYA !!!! cover your huhmmm. Say exactly what you mean. FOr instance - NO RETURNS or returns within 5 days but buyer pays the return shipping or insurance optional but ONLY guaranteed WITH insurance and spell out exactly what payments you will or will not accept. MAKE YOURSELF CLEAR so there wont be any EBAY Lawsuits. If you get bad ratings -- it will destroy your EBay reputation in a heart beat !!!!

You are dealing with millions of people - LITERALLY - so make yourself clear on what you have to sell -- how you are selling it -- and what guarantees you are offering. Basically - put yourself in their shoes. The more you make them feel they are dealing with an honest person the better your chances of a sale.

Go look at some of the items like you're going to sell. See what categories the majority of them are in - thats where people are looking. Look how the good ones are done and take notice of the bad ones so you dont make the same mistakes. EBay can be very successful if done correctly. I made over $1000.00 the first month I put my yarn shop items on there !!! (but i also worked my fanny off [Smile] )

Email me if you have any questions or if I can help -- (lionspaaw@aol.com)

but one warning -- EBaying is addictive [Big Grin]

GOOD LUCK !!!

carolyn

#34551 - 01/13/05 02:23 AM Re: new year/get organized
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Carolyn, this is great. You really know your stuff and I will do exactly what you've said. I don't have a camera but will get one and then get someone over here to show me what to do next, I am still computer dumb on many things. Thanks a million for the advice. I wish these men would send me the cash instead of this beautiful jewelry, I don't wear jewelry at all, and [Wink] never did.

#34552 - 01/13/05 05:21 AM Re: new year/get organized
lionspaaw Offline

Chatty -

If you get one of those little camera's and have them developed at Wal Mart (I am assuming that everyone has a Wal Mart [Smile] ) have them put it on a CD instead of actual (in hand) prints. Then download them to your computer. When you're ready to upload them to EBay -- they will walk you through the process. It's a matter of them asking if you want pictures - you tell them yes and after a few clicks here and there -- VIOLA'

They really do make it very easy for you [Smile] and its a whole lot of fun too

Oh yea - before you do all that -- go to PayPal and get an account set up so you can accept credit/debit cards. The charges for EBay and PayPal are next to nothing and its a safety net for you.

#34553 - 01/13/05 05:56 PM Re: new year/get organized
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Thanks Carolyn,

You did point out a couple of things that I never would have thought of. Like "only run a three day listing", it makes sense and you sure saved me so much time in trial and error.

I have also considered using a disposable camera and have the pictures put on a CD. I am so "Digital Camera illiterate". I just didn't know how they would turn out, so again, you saved me time there in trial and error.

I do have a couple more question, and it has nothing to do with the computer. Do you have a shelf, room, or a particular closet you put all your items in that you are selling? If so, how is the best way to do that without so much clutter? In other words, do you have a system for that? I am sure there is something obvious somewhere in that. But you have pointed out other obvious solutions that I would have never thought of.

Another reason that I have been reluctant in selling most of the items that I do not want is this. They are breakable (plates, crystals, etc), and an aquaintance of mine had a bad experience with that, with a buyer. Have you had any kind of trouble like that?

Is it possible to stipulate on your page that, if an item is damaged, that the buyer should send it back in order to get a refund?

Again, thanks Carolyn for taking the time to help us in this area.

Cheers and Blessings,
Cathi

#34554 - 01/14/05 06:20 AM Re: new year/get organized
lionspaaw Offline

I sold things like yarn and patterns -- knitting needles here and there -- so I didn't have to worry about breakables.

If you pack them well you shouldnt have any problem -- but you can stipulate that if they dont insure you wont guarantee -- or -- if they have problems -- ship back the broken pieces for a full refund (minus the shipping costs) -- or -- whatever you feel you can live with and is fair

My mom and I had 3 full service yarn shops at one time so we were pretty organized as far as having an inventory program -- but when I did this from home -- I used one of those 6 column ledgers that you can buy for a couple of bucks at almost any place that sells stationary (office depot, wal mart, even eckerds usually have them). I put the customer name, address, email, phone, etc on top,and then in the columns I put the item sold, day of the sale, price paid, what it cost me to list it (so I knew what my profit was), when I was paid (and how - paypal, cash, check) and when I shipped it. I clipped the post office receipt to it to prove I shipped it. This way if there was any question -- I had the info. I did have a few items lost in the mail and I replaced them (they were patterns so I had more than 1 copy) because it made for good business.

Another tip -- give actually shipping costs up front. Alot of times people are looking/bidding on items where the auction is up in just a few minutes or hours and there isn't time to email you and see how much it will cost to ship, so they wont take the chance that after they win the bid and are responsible for purchasing it that you add a $20 shipping charge for something that cost you 60 cents to send. They'll just overlook your item and go on to a similar one that gives them more information. You can weigh it for an approximate weight -- go to the USPS website for the exact shipping costs (or UPS - but I found the USPS was the best way to send MY items) and then take that cost plus the cost to list your item (usually only pennies to a few dollars dependng on the cost of the item) to the shipping costs and then you've covered your expenses.

The best rule of thumb I can offer is -- Treat your customer they way you would expect to be treated and you'll do just fine [Smile]

Carolyn

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved