The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 142 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#34503 - 10/28/04 06:14 PM Back to work????
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I'm not sure where to post this.
I've been trying to decide if I should take a job outside the home again or not. I have been out of work since last November, because of moving out of state and then trying my hand at the writing. I'd like to know how many of you are able to work and continue to write consistantly? And if you have any tips on how to be able to do this? I was writing while still working but not nearly as much as I do now and not getting very far with it.
Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,
Robin

#34504 - 10/29/04 07:26 AM Re: Back to work????
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I can only give you my opinion as it would apply to me. If I didn't HAVE to work, you can bet your sweet bibpee I wouldn't. But...on the other hand, if you feel that you have a need to work, or want to, then structure you writing time to gain the most from it. Like what is your peak time for writing? Are you fresher in the mornings or evenings? If it's mornings, for instance, then set aside whatever you can spare in the morning time to do nothing but write. Treat it like you would any other job and DO NOT let anything else interrupt that writing time.

If it's evenings, do the same thing. By structuring your time, you are writing consistently, and not taking anything away from your family, or your new job.

Personally, if I were in your shoes and didn't have to work, pigs would fly before I would take a job outside the home. I would be a writing fool if I had the time.

JJ

#34505 - 10/28/04 09:16 PM Re: Back to work????
TVC15 Offline

Thanks Jawjaw,
What I would be looking for from a job would be the benefits. Although they are offered at my husband's job, they are quite expensive for family plan. I'm hoping to find something part time but I've been through this before and it's hard to get good bennies part time.
I just really hate to give up my writing because I feel like I'm finally making a little progress with it. And believe it or not, today was the first time I told someone that I was a writer when asked what I do by a new aquaintance. I'm very torn by this. I do most of my writing in the morning and that would probably also be the best time for me to work. I have a 14 year old son and I prefer to be home when he gets home from school. (or as close to that time as possible) I guess I have some more soul searching to do before I commit to anything. Thanks for your input!

#34506 - 10/29/04 05:13 AM Re: Back to work????
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

You know the best of both worlds would be to hold some kind of job in the home. Like teaching piano or something. But that wouldn't solve the benefit needs. I would say pray about it. But it's been my experience that most companies who hire part time people do so because they don't have to pay "part-time" employees benefits. Good luck and think positive!

JJ

#34507 - 10/29/04 07:05 AM Re: Back to work????
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I met a guy who has published more than thirty books while employed full time. He said he reported to work an hour and a half early every day and wrote for the entire time. He did it no matter whether he was inspired to write or not and he never missed a day except during vacations.
He kept a daily journal in which he recorded his mood, whether he was inspired to write, and what he wrote. He then anlayzed his writing with that information in mind and found absolutely no change in the quality of his writing relative to his mood and inspiration.

As to working from home, I assume you are primarily referring to health insurance benefits. Health insurance is available at reasonable prices through the Writer's Guild and the Dramatist Guild and other professional groups. If you decide to stay home and work for yourself, checking out any professional organizations might be an option.
If you want to do it, and you can do it, DO IT!!
smile

#34508 - 10/29/04 03:33 PM Re: Back to work????
TVC15 Offline

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, JJ and Smilinize!
I heard about a job yesterday that sounds like it might work. Unfortunately at this time they aren't in need of my services but I'm going to persue it. Yes, it is health benefits I'm the most concerned with.
SAS is a huge company in my town something like 4000 employees. I heard that you can work part time as a receptionist and still be able to get bennies.(they cost more but it might be worth it) I'm told that most of the girls who do this, spend a lot of time reading. If they can read while doing it, then I should be able to write, right?
Wish me luck! I'm going to need it. I hear the jobs there are very difficult to get as everyone and their brother wants to work there.
That is very interesting about the journal that guy kept. I wouldn't be able to go to work that early as I have to bring my son to school, (he gets a bus but needs to catch it like an hour before school and I don't think that's fair to him. They start so early as it is.)But I could get up and work at home that early, trouble is, I like my sleep [Smile] It is something to consider though, if I have to work full time.
Thanks again ladies!

#34509 - 10/29/04 06:26 PM Re: Back to work????
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

TVC,
I work for a company that has roughly 3000+ employees and they are a good company to work for, despite changes we've endured over the years as the economy dictates. Anywayyy....one way that people have gotten their foot in the door with bigger companies is to sign up at a temp agency AND TELL THEM you are only signing up with them to get an assignment at Company X. Or better yet, DON'T tell them. You could always call the Company and ask their personnel department which TEMP agency they used and then go from there. Just a suggestion. It's been OUR experience here that if we get a temp, and they are good at their job, we hire um...

JJ

#34510 - 10/29/04 08:55 PM Re: Back to work????
TVC15 Offline

Thanks again Jawjaw,
That's pretty sneaky advice.... [Smile]
Sounds like it might just work!
It's worth a shot in any case.

#34511 - 10/30/04 04:53 PM Re: Back to work????
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
TVC, you are dong the right thing to try to be home for your 14 year old. The teen years are as important as the toddler years. Keep your priorities and something will become available. Meanwhile, keep writing. You're meeting with success! That should keep you going. Don't listen to those lttle demons who make you doubt! You are stronger than them.

#34512 - 10/30/04 09:33 PM Re: Back to work????
TVC15 Offline

Thank you Dotsie,
You are of course right about everything!
And thanks for the encouragement!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved