The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#34409 - 06/02/04 10:59 PM Suggestions For Better Customer Service?
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Hi everyone,

Like most everyone, I have had good and bad customer experiences. Unfortunately, more bad than good; however, I have found a few ways to make customer service better.

Do you have any suggestions that would make everyday customer service better?

If you do, would you post them here?

Thank you so much...

Toni

#34410 - 06/03/04 01:03 AM Re: Suggestions For Better Customer Service?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
This suggestion will probably seem boring and mundane to some but it kind of says it all:

Treat People The Way You Want To Be Treated [Wink]

#34411 - 06/03/04 03:41 AM Re: Suggestions For Better Customer Service?
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Ask the clerk how their day is going. You might be surprised at what you find out.
I agree with Chatty. I've also learned another one this year.
Treat people how they want to be treated.
Maggie

#34412 - 06/03/04 05:24 AM Re: Suggestions For Better Customer Service?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
My idea for improving customer service is to stop the ridiculously insincere apologies. It's obvious that the customer service training includes a whole segment on telling the customer how sorry they that you are having trouble without actually taking responsibility for it even if they are obviously at fault. It's just a stall. I hate it. They waste my time and theirs with that silly apologies.
If they can I just want them to fix the problem. If they can't I want to move on. And if they won't I will move on to their supervisor.
Another pet peeve is when they say they are forwarding you to the supervisor and leave you on hold forever. Grrrrrr. Causes me to write poison pen letters.
My message to customer service folks would be "Just give me some honest answers and I'll cope. Otherwise get out of my way."
However, there are actually some very wonderful people in those difficult jobs.
smile

[ June 02, 2004, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#34413 - 06/03/04 05:56 AM Re: Suggestions For Better Customer Service?
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Hi Friends,

I am a customer service rep for my local utility company. I have spent 8 years in that job. Because I am a people person, I love the job most of the time.

From my perspective, I treat people how I wish to be treated, don't cop an attitude with me or your already off on the wrong foot. Realize that it is my company that makes the policies and not me. Please don't cuss at me, I do not have to listen too that, and will hang up in a New York minute to those that continue to use that kind of language. Men, don't ask to speak to a man that will understand, women, don't put your husband or boyfriend on the phone to try to intimidate me. I will standfast to my company's policies, no matter if a man is put on the phone. I can't be intimidated, in fact it makes me more determined to hold out.

Be pleasant with me, understand if my computer is running slow, or the repairs on your elec is taking longer then expected. Understand if I can't give you a specific time for power restoration, or not tell you how long your power is going to be out, You're my first call!

Every now and then, it is nice to hear that we are doing a nice job, and we explained something to someone that they were able to understand. I will bend over backwards to do anything I can do for you, if you treat me like a human being and not just a servant to do your bidding.

I love my work, meet many wonderful people, and fortunately, have very few incidents when people cuss at me or call me bad names, or give me a hard time. Thank God, the good calls out weigh the bad ones, and I am thankful that I can do something to help someone else.

OH, by the way, if we say that we cannot give out information due to the Privacy Act, please believe us, it could mean our job if we give out information to the wrong person.

Thanks for listening,

Sherri

#34414 - 06/03/04 11:41 PM Re: Suggestions For Better Customer Service?
Toni Offline

Chatty, Maggie, Smile and Sherri,

Thank you all for your great and insightful answers! All of your replies are great!

Basically you're all saying, "Treat people the way you want to be treated." The Golden Rule, as Charlene explained, can open up many doors to good customer service.

Maggie's suggestion that we ask the clerk how he or she is doing, is a good one.

Smile, wanting just 'some honest answers,' I think each of us can relate to that one...

Sherri, with long-time customer service also says that The Golden Rule helps in all areas.

Great comments! Thank you all....

Toni

#34415 - 06/04/04 12:54 AM Re: Suggestions For Better Customer Service?
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Hi Toni: One of the best things that comes to mind is "The Golden Rule": Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". In a not-so-perfect world, we need to show caring and compassion, and understanding. Treating others as we would like to be treated in similar situations isnt always easy, but it's worth it!

#34416 - 06/04/04 03:12 PM Re: Suggestions For Better Customer Service?
Toni Offline

Songbird,

Caring and compassion, beautiful words we all need to say and hear...

Great words and thoughts. Thank you.

Toni

#34417 - 06/05/04 04:24 PM Re: Suggestions For Better Customer Service?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Sherri, thanks for your perspective. It's good to hear what the other side has to say. Often when wrapped up in finding answers we're so concerned aobut what we want that we forget the person onthe other side of the phone is also a person with feelings. [Eek!]

#34418 - 06/07/04 04:33 AM Re: Suggestions For Better Customer Service?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
tell um you know Gweedo....

what? what?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved