The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 162 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 12 of 12 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12
Topic Options
#34033 - 02/01/06 12:28 AM Re: 12 Step for anyone
ladybug Offline

I value whatever you have to say and consider you a good friend. [Wink]

#34034 - 02/02/06 04:43 AM Re: 12 Step for anyone
XBWS Offline

Loc: Guilford, CT
I second the motion! [Wink] You can always tell who your true friends are. They're the one's with the biggest shoulders and ears and kindest words and thoughts.

Kidogo, I'm so sorry to hear about the abuse you've gone through with your mother. There's a book (I don't know if it's still in print, because it's been over 20 years since I used it) called "Making Peace With Your Parents." It contains dozens of stories similar to yours. It's a self help book of exercises and advise to overcome the pain of abuse, etc... You can keep it to yourself to heal or as I did, take it a step further and find a healing relationship with your parent. It may seem impossible and maybe it is. But if you can heal your own heart it will help.

Take care everyone!

“In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”

Martin Luther King, Jr

Sue

[ February 24, 2006, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: suzieq ]

#34035 - 02/03/06 01:12 AM Re: 12 Step for anyone
ladybug Offline

Many times the unresolved grief or abuse a person suffered years ago can surface later in a form of mental illness.

Thank God many of us now realize this and try to deal with it instead of ignoring it which causes further harm.

I think it's always good to talk out your pain and cry if you need to.

[ February 02, 2006, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

#34036 - 02/03/06 11:12 PM Re: 12 Step for anyone
XBWS Offline

Loc: Guilford, CT
I agree, and I think we must realize that there are women that come to this forum, sometimes prior to seeking professional help. They see us as trusted friends who have been there; felt their pain.

We women at BWS have a responsibility to listen with open hearts, without judgment;

to offer advise when and only if we are truly in position of actually having had some sort of experience dealing with the mental illness, addiction or grief discussed first hand;

To direct the person to professional care if they are depressed, unstable, or suffering any other psychological ailment that we cannot help them with;

And to never, ever suggest in any way, shape or form that it's a good idea for them to stop taking medications without consulting their doctor. Unless you have a MD after your name this is criminal.

Many people read these forums outside our BWS membership. We must be responsible for the effects we may have on innocent lives. Words are powerful. They can change a person's life for the best or for the worst and can even lead to death.

[ February 26, 2006, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: suzieq ]

#34037 - 02/04/06 02:42 AM Re: 12 Step for anyone
ladybug Offline

Very good advice you gave there suzieQ.

Have you considered being a grief counselor? I think you have great insight, a good heart and the willingness to reach out to help others.

Page 12 of 12 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved