The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#33973 - 01/24/06 01:21 AM Re: 12 Step for anyone
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Suzieq, I am so sorry for all the pain you've endured in your life. I am glad you are doing so much better and I know you're going to be just fine.
I am curious about something you wrote. You said you opted to abort (no judgment here, I did the same at age 19) and the doctor said "look what you killed". Were you saying that the doctor who performed the abortion said this to you?

[ January 23, 2006, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Bluebird ]

#33974 - 01/24/06 01:31 AM Re: 12 Step for anyone
kidogo Offline

Loc: New York
Labels? Oh, yeah. I usually cut those out of my clothes. No matter what kind of label you end up wearing--they can make you uncomfortable. I vote for cutting out the labels. That includes the labels we put on people.

#33975 - 01/24/06 01:56 AM Re: 12 Step for anyone
Bluebird Offline

kidogo, I haven't welcomed you yet, so WELCOME!!!
What part of NY are you in? I lived in the state for 45 years.

#33976 - 01/24/06 02:08 AM Re: 12 Step for anyone
kidogo Offline

Loc: New York
Hello Bluebird, thanks for the welcome. I live in the Mohawk Valley--little town called Utica. I've only been here a little over a year. A family on my street moved here from Colorado about 4 years ago.
My mom went to Colorado once. I didn't get to go.

#33977 - 01/24/06 02:13 AM Re: 12 Step for anyone
XBWS Offline

Loc: Guilford, CT
Go to the NAMI main page, look under TAKE ACTION, FIGHT STIGMA. You'll find Stigmabusters there.

[ February 24, 2006, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: suzieq ]

#33978 - 01/24/06 02:42 AM Re: 12 Step for anyone
Bluebird Offline

Oh yes, I've heard of Utica. I was in Orange County, which is about halfway between Albany and NYC. CO is beautiful!! Do you know what part of CO your neighbors moved from?

Suzie, that is unbelievable! Did the man not see his part in the whole thing? I would never judge a woman who has been through it. God forgave me so who am I to condemn anyone? I do try to discourage women from making the same mistake I made, just so they won't have to go through what we did.

#33979 - 01/24/06 02:59 AM Re: 12 Step for anyone
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Why do you have the need to tell others you are bipolar? My grandson just married his girlfriend who I've known and had in my home many times and gone shopping with etc, for 3 years now. I just found out she was bipolar when we were picking up our prescriptions together. I never knew, never cared. I loved her before and do now, nothing changed because she is bipolar. To me its like someone above said, like being diabetec, or having psorasis...As far as your family being jerks at times, aren't a lot of families the same? Bipolar or not you have to help yourself be whole, you need to read everything you can find to help yourself and try to ignore the things around you that hurt you, we all have to do this from time to time. Maybe you could find a support group for women with problems in general. I'll pray for you.

[ February 26, 2006, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#33980 - 01/24/06 04:21 AM Re: 12 Step for anyone
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
Some people are comfotable about admitting they have or have had mental health problems, just as some cancer survivors will discuss and share to help others, while some just want to forget it ever happened. It's a very personal thing, and I don't think anyone knows how they'll act until or unless they've been there.

Sue and others like her are working very hard to help themselves. Just because we're willing to talk about the problem we've had now and in the past does not mean we are not willing to help ourselves. It means we are.

#33981 - 01/24/06 05:00 AM Re: 12 Step for anyone
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Several of those who have posted here have been hurt by telling others of their mental illness.

To quote an esteemed boomer (Dianne), "If it hurts, don't do it twice."

smile

#33982 - 01/24/06 07:15 AM Re: 12 Step for anyone
XBWS Offline

Loc: Guilford, CT
As I said previously, for all those who are interested in fighting Stigma, go to NAMI, Stigmabusters. It's time all of us who suffer from depression, mental illness, etc... stick together and fight IGNORANCE.

I have been posting on this forum for a while now and have only found compassion, support, unity and the highest level of dignity among BWS sisters. I find it hard to believe that there would be anyone that would stoop as low as to hurt those seeking comfort in a time of need, by writing to their trusted friends. What's even stranger is to think someone would have a problem with a member discussing mental health on the MENTAL HEALTH FORUM!!! [Confused] That's why you can quote me - "It's feel's good, I'll keep coming back for more!"

And Chatty, you ask why I tell people I'm bipolar? It's because I'm not ashamed to be me. God loves me as I am. I don't have to hide the fact out of fear of judgement. With this voice I have many times reached out and helped others who are relieved to be comforted by someone who understands their pain because I've been in their shoes. If I can do for others what a select group of women on this forum have done for me, there is no question that my life will be greatly enriched.

Was Patty Duke ashamed to speak about her condition? Or Jane Pauly? Many have come out publicly and shared their life story to fight ignorance and help others who have the same illness. We no longer have to hide in a closet because of fear that society will attack us.

What's the big deal with being bipolar anyway? We're in good company. Take for example: Michelangelo, Beethoven, Lord Byron, Hans Christian Anderson, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Florence Nightingale, Leo Tolstoy, Charles Dickens, Mark Twain, Vincent Van Gogh, Winston Churchill, Virginia Woolf, Cole Porter, Francis Scott, F. Scott Fitzgerald, William Faulkner, Ernest Hemingway, Bing Cosby, Tennessee Williams, to name a few. No shame in being in their company.

[ February 26, 2006, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: suzieq ]

Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved