The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 118 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#33127 - 11/08/04 03:13 AM Responsibility
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
Not sure where to put this - but I have had the sudden revelation that I am not to blame for various changes in friendship patterns, family relationships...etc... for a long time I have been self-examining trying to work out what I have done to cause problems...the answer is NOTHING. Life is just like that. Full of change.
And suddenly I also realise that as a small child I internalised the difficulties my parents had with money being tight, step-children/parents, a cramped house, etc...taking it on my own little shoulders... well now that burden has fallen away...

#33128 - 11/08/04 04:57 PM Re: Responsibility
Misfire Offline

Loc: Maryland
Julie,
When I was born, my older sister was dying from leukemia. She lived two more years. During that time, I was surrounded by turmoil and deep sadness. Is it any wonder that I developed dysthymia? No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't make my parents happy.

About 15 years ago, I had the revelation that it was never my job to make them (or anybody else) happy. I was just a little girl trying to make some sense out of the sadness that surrounded me. And, as you might expect, I've spent the last 15 years understanding why I try to fix everything and everybody and, more importantly, changing my behavior patterns when I recognize that I'm heading down that slippery slope. I agree with you --- relationships change whether we're responsible for the change or not. The trick is to recognize when they're still good for us and when they're not. [Wink]

#33129 - 11/09/04 04:49 AM Re: Responsibility
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Julie, Nancy and Misfire AMEN TO THAT you are so right about relationships. Misfire I can't imagine wat it was like for a little girl growing up in a house with a dying sibbling and sad parents. You must have been cheated out of so many of the nurturing elements we all need so as children. I hope you have since those awful days received tons of love from those around you. There are so many form of child abuse even when it is unintentional....God Bless.

#33130 - 11/09/04 09:10 PM Re: Responsibility
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I'm so happy for your revalation. You know something? I was 27 years old before I realized my father wasn't always right? Now that's some serious brain washing! [Razz]

Yes, you grew up or should I say, was born into a very sad and depressed family and might have become the family scapegoat. But the good part is once you realize, like you have, that it isn't your fault, you are free to move on. I'm sure you're looking forward to a much nicer and easier lifestyle now. Congratulations!

#33131 - 11/09/04 09:34 PM Re: Responsibility
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
It takes two for a relationship to develop and in no way should we ever shoulder the responsibility for how that relationship develops. Those of us who are muturers and 'fixers' take on much more than we should. It's difficult to step away from that type of behavior after having it ingrained in us for so long. I'm 43 years old and I've finally learned that I'm not the only person who has to work on a friendship. I have a life too, and I shouldn't put mine on hold waiting for someone else to join in. Life is too short and I'm not going to live in the 'what if' world anymore. I'm living in the present and it's all about now.

#33132 - 11/11/04 06:22 PM Re: Responsibility
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Vicki, you're right. It's hard to stop loving and nurturing when that's your nature. I feel guilty about pulling back in a relationship. I have learned at the ripe age of 46 that I can't FIX someone. They continually zapped me of positive energy so it was time to step back. It still doesn't feel good. [Frown]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved